24H of Lemons: Could I export/replicate the concept? | FerrariChat

24H of Lemons: Could I export/replicate the concept?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by DriveAfterDark, Sep 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    We (a small group of Norwegian car guys) were discussing your (US) epic 24H of Lemons racing series and we thought maybe we could start something here too. We have lots of activities for car guys in particular but most of them are expensive and out of reach for the average enthusiast. I have often fantasized about budget racing (not trackdays) and maybe this could become something big here too.

Any ideas on how hard (or easy?) it could be to pull something like this off? Do "Lemons" cover their costs by racing entry fees or are they driven by/dependent on volunteers? I will of course google a lot.

I'm genuinely interested in pulling this off. Car guys are a dying breed and something to welcome every one would be done on idealist basis, not with profit in mind.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm actually surprised this isn't a concept that originated in Europe and we stole....

3. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What's a junk/problematic car called in Norway? Then you're off to the races.

4. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    If it was that easy.. :)

So we must, as a minimum:
    - set some safety standard for everyone to follow.
    - have one technical person to control the cars for oil/fluid leaks etc.
    - have an ambulance on standby.

Help me fill this list up!

I'm going to pull this off, I think it would be a hit, there are tons and tons of cars laying around that are too shabby for carrying a number plate but are still drivable.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    get your hands on every sanctioning body rule book you can find and pick your "best practices".

not sure who sanctions amateur racing in Europe, but here they are for the US:

SCCA: The Sports Car Club of America - Club Racing

NASA: NASA Class and Series Rules - National Auto Sport Association - nasaproracing.com

LeMons:24 Hours of LeMons - Prices & Rules

Chump Car: http://www.chumpcar.com/downloads/chumpcar-rules.pdf

at least in the US, a lot will be determined by liability exposure and insurance requirements. if you truly want to start this from scratch, find a few guys with a LOT of experience in sanctioning and scrutineering, particularly on the safety side of things (roll cage design, seat installation, fire and electrical disconnect systems, etc)

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I thought you guys had a class of racing up there (Finland maybe?) where the competitors, if asked, *had* to sell their car to someone else for some "nominal" amount after the race?

Sure I saw it on Top Gear once - I think that's brilliant!

Would need extending some if targeting a 24 hour run, but I love the approach!

IIRC, Road & Track entered at least one Lemons race, and pushed the limits of the rules a lot. You've got have a roll bar - They installed a full, expensive cage to stiffen their car. Upgraded brakes are permitted - they installed some massive Brembo's etc etc. Other "improvements" are permitted in the name of safety, but I think they kind of "spoilt" the whole concept (?)

But that's just what I've read - I know there's some here who have done them, hopefully they'll comment soon.

Good luck, it's a great concept!
    Cheers,
    Ian

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hah! Hadn't seen those before - My kind of rule book! Brilliant!

And I had no idea they'd implemented the 'must sell the car' concept I mentioned above - But then taken it one stage further and restricted it to just the organizers so you just can't buy the 'best'.... Love it!

Also love the way the prize money gets divvied up!

Great stuff!

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

****ing awesome!.... And;

:D

Cheers,
    Ian

9. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Incognito dude, thanks for the reply, I think you're right - easiest way to set up a "legal" race would be to get hold of someone who knows his stuff about racing events.

Yes, we have this thing called rally cross where participants buy and sell cheap cars that are totally banged up... But that's more of a short run where literally everybody bumps into you while driving on gravel, with no control over modifications. I'm more into tarmac racing based on road legal cars.

Regarding 24H, I think we would have to start slow until the thing grows enough to justify a 24H race. I was at Nürburgring 24H race in 2011 (spectator) and became fascinated with endurance racing.

Top Gear also did a 24H? endurance race with a BMW 330 Diesel and that episode remains one of my favorites! Going to rewatch it now, huge fun :)