Chrysler Discontinues Factory Backed Road Racing Efforts | FerrariChat

Chrysler Discontinues Factory Backed Road Racing Efforts

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gran Drewismo, Oct 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    IMSA - Chrysler discontinues factory-backed road racing efforts

Damn, two days after winning a championship, the plug gets pulled.

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Too bad.

Grid size getting smaller and smaller...

CW

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's only gonna get uglier between now and Daytona.

and honestly, if Corvette or Porsche pulled out of GTLM, you'd see them all pull out. that class is the most vulnerable in a lot of ways.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    refocus. a lot of new products coming in '16. not much in 15.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As someone who still periodically entertains some vague thoughts about getting back into the IMSA game as a privateer, I sincerely hope there will still be a class to compete in!

CW

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Have you considered Pirelli World Challenge?

One of my life goals is to run (if I drove it'd be a disaster) a privateer sports car team and after witnessing PWC and understanding it more, I am leaning towards that.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    GTLM will have an "AM" subclass next year (much like PWC GTA this year).

might be some value pricing on GTD Porsches soon too.... ;)

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    One of my life goals too - but too little money and too little driving talent dictate that it's probably nothing more than a pipe dream now.

I'd be happy with a LeMons ride...

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I do think PWC is starting to look more interesting (and it's getting better TV coverage). That may ultimately be the more likely route to returning, but IMSA GT class cars are certainly coming up for sale for any number of reasons at attractive prices. The economics of a one-car team don't make much sense to me, and we've been offered a two-car (with spares) package, but I think we're going to sit tight for the moment and see how this all plays out. We'd likely cherry-pick the schedule to keep costs down and see what we might be able to do in terms of selling seats in the second car. Sponsorship dollars are difficult to find, and paying drivers are also getting scarcer.

CW

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    would you be driving or...?

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    If you have any 'or'... opportunities available send me a note!

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I wish NASCAR would die a quick death instead of road racing series. I'm just not sure what people see in oval tracks--with any car really.

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    #13 IamRobG, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    I've been contemplating the same thing. I've wanted to race Tudor but economics aren't there and from what i read its about 50k for a one car one race drive minus any accidents. World challenge has a simpler spec and seems to be cheaper. If the current trend in my industry stays the course I may be able to pursue this more in the next 3-5 years. I would also cherry pick to stay on the east coast and then road America just because its my favorite track.

http://www.world-challenge.com/images/forms/2014-entry-gt.pdf

Roughly 5 grand a race plus the car and transportation/crew unless you drive your own tractor and know some people.

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I cannot help but wonder if Chrysler has something in the pipeline or will be offering sponsorship to other Viper race efforts such as the Viper Exchange team? VE has been impressive and could carry the Viper torch for them.

15. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Sergio Marchionne [ax man, bean counter] who is Fiat CEO, which owns Chrysler, is sick of the division known as SRT. They cannot give away the new Vipers especially now that the MUCH better new Corvette has arrived and he is tired of them losing money. The Viper will be gone within a year as well I think

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My mistake as I had forgotten about the new bean counter at the helm. In all honesty the Viper was never a profitable sales model for Chrysler for various reasons of which the mother ship holds some blame.

17. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Yes I agree it was never a profit maker but it certainly was an attractive flagship to get people into the dealership and excited. The problem is it has gotten to expensive for the demographic it appeals to.
    I bought a new Ram 3500 in 2013 to tow my race car trailer and they had a new Viper sitting there with a sticker price of 135k. I almost fainted!

18. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    The Viper needs to be 65 for a base

19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I was a club Viper member and was at the meeting the day the new boss agreed to go ahead with a new Viper. so it was really his decision to build the 2014 car. I am not so sure he will kill this project. Giles is a sharp guy. he and the boss get along very well. they may pull some surprise yet on this car. the membership/owner base is very strong and very different. a really nice group.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    At one point earlier in the year they were supposedly sitting on 800 Vipers and had to halt production.
    Lowering the price by $15K (with some sort of similar offer on the 2015?) got them moving in September with supposedly over 100 sold.
    As for Ralph I am told he was in tears when he learned of the decision.

21. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #21 Heat Seeker WS6, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That "bean counter" has given the enthusiasts at Mopar a free reign. Otherwise we wouldn't have such incredible efforts as the Hellcat twins, a very nice 200, record setting Jeeps and generally great success. As to the Viper only being "worth 65"-nonsense. Its a very good sportscar, with a greatly improved interior and staggering performance. Sadly, the snob contingent wouldn't buy it at any price as they'd rather own less capable sportscars with a cache branding.

23. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I think Vipers are bad ass looking and the current model has a lot of Ferrari influence.
    It just amazes when car manufacturers claim they cant sell any. They are all the same, Ford, Chrysler, GM. The cry they cant sell the cars but go to a dealer and try to buy one and you get a song and a dance how you need to get on a waiting list, pay over MSRP and wait forever. Viper, New ZO6, Camaro ZL1, Viper, Shelby Mustang, whatever.

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    hard bottom line decisions. easy to make when in business. time to sell Italian cars