IMSA: Open letter to fans from Scott Atherton and Ed Bennett | FerrariChat

IMSA: Open letter to fans from Scott Atherton and Ed Bennett

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Oct 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they need to be writing an open letter to manufacturers, team owners, drivers and sponsors....

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That letter would have to be far less condescending.

BHW

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

IMSA has adopted the NASCAR "our fans are mindless idiots" policy.

maybe someone should do some market research on the demographics of sports car racing fans....

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was at Petite and Sebring this year and it was almost a complete different experience from the beginning to the end. the Fans at Peite were pretty strong, Sebring was busy but not as packed....

I think Sportscar racing COULD be super again, but the DP class needs to morph into something that can attract Audi, Peugot, Toyota, etc... top class LMPrototypes. I'm not a fan of limiting the performance of the LMP2 cars... and the DP's are still kind of ugly.

if they can fix that - and get closer with AOC then I think it could be a really cool world series... they need to make it more friendly for sponsors and HAVE to have better TV coverage.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree. I do hate to see the LMP2 cars dumbed down.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I was at Sebring and Petit as well (in addition to Daytona, VIR and COTA) and the mood in the paddock was significantly less optimistic as the season wore on. yes, good to great crowds everywhere, but the people investing in the sport don't seem amused. the caution fests that were Sebring and Petit are wearing thin on fans too.

I really really really want this to work but I don't see the current ownership/leadership pulling it off. to many existing biases and relationships.

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

chas,

I recall you were very optimistic last year...I was the one that was jaded. I too want this to work but I have similar concerns. I still think road a is not long for this world but again, I hope I am well wrong!

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I was optimistic, and still think this is better than two competing series, but I was hoping we'd see the best of NASCAR influence here (TV packages, sponsor leverage, etc) and instead we're seeing the worst of NASCAR influence...favoritism, watered down content, endless cautions, bizarre knee-jerk rules changes.

would be nice if there was a promoter for sports car racing like Dorna for motorcycles who would take things over. speaking of which, some of the same management group that destroyed DMG is now at IMSA (Jim France, namely)

10. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I remember reading this from what seems to be a long time ago and then it was followed by the tingling sensation of what appeared to be a stomach ulcer in hopes we weren't having the rug pulled out from under us....

IMSA | TUDOR United SportsCar Championship | GRAND-AM Road Racing, American Le Mans Series Announce Historic Merger

"“Today’s announcement will transform sports car racing on this continent, along with having world-wide industry implications,” said Bennett. “Aside from the organizations involved, everybody wins: drivers, teams, manufacturers, sponsors, tracks – and most all, the fans.

“This new approach is going to be revolutionary, as we take the best components from two premium brands, combine them and then benefit mutually from the considerable resources both sides will bring to our efforts. This is a bold move – and the right one – for the long-term, optimum growth of sports car racing.”

Added Atherton: “This merger will blend the best assets and attributes of each organization in terms of technical rules, officiating, marketing, communications, personnel, scheduling and broadcasting. The result will be one of the strongest, most competitive and powerful motorsports marketing platforms in the world.”

11. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Well....../\ /\ Atherton didn't say the RACING would be competitive, but the 'marketing platform'...Oh my!

12. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    The caution fest that was at Road America, too ...add to the list. 50%+ was yellow.

What was the yellow flag/green flag ratio at other tracks?

13. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    That leads to an interesting question, Is there any tabulation done for race/caution ratios throughout the various motor sport forms? I'd be curious to compare Indycar, IMSA, Nascar, F1, WEC & etc for 'race efficiency'

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Despite my feelings about NASCAR and the way they conduct their business, I too was
    optimistic going into the 2014 TUSCC season, albeit cautiously.

The optimism was soon eroded at the 24 Hours of Daytona where heavy handed penalties
    were handed out for non-contact incidents, particularly at the end when the Ferrari was
    punished and denied victory only for the win to be reinstated hours later. What a no-class
    move and, really, WTF?

Then, of course, the debacle at Sebring. After that, all bets were off and for the first time
    in my life, none of it seemed to matter any more. The 900lb gorilla on the block had
    won.

NASCAR's approach is total control over all aspects of a race. This is easier to do on ovals
    with a single class of spec cars going roundy-round than winding road courses with four classes
    of variously equipped cars.

This paranoid need to control is born out of their obsession with having cars finish nose to
    tail at the checkered flag so they may emphatically state "The closest finish in history..." or
    anything which adds to their melancholy narrative which reads well in the Monday morning
    papers.

As we know, sports car racing is a different animal. Putting 50+ cars of various classes
    out on a track is hard (if not impossible at times) to control no matter how many "race directors"
    there are locked in a private box high above the track.

We may be able to point to the mid-70s when during the height of the GTX era, Porsche 935s were
    winning the 24 Hours of Daytona by 50 or 60 laps which must have driven the hierarchy at Daytonner
    straight up their fake wood paneled walls.

In their minds, if a race doesn't end with a nail biting photo finish, it's not a race. Therefore,
    they invented all of these absurd rules such as "Lucky Dog" (AKA: "Free Pass") to spare themselves
    the embarrassment of having a particular car win by multiple laps because we
    all know that is simply not done.

The GTX era was significant though as there would be a couple dozen 935s along with BMW 320ls,
    all of which had an equal chance of winning. The races became all out sprints in a
    "Win or blow up trying" approach. Many did blow up and usually the last one standing won
    by a decisive margin.

Likewise, NASCAR could not stand the fact that sports cars were easily faster than Cup cars at
    tracks like Watkins Glen or Sears Point, so they developed the idea to make sure Cup would
    not be shown up by lowly GT cars by running on different track configurations where no
    direct lap time comparisons could be made.

The invention of the DP class put paid to that. A class of utterly ugly cars built with (by modern
    prototype standards) ancient technology all for a new class of "Man on the Street" fans which
    could not come close to Cup speeds.

Sports car racing aficionados weren't impressed prompting Roger Edmundson to state "We don't
    care about 'traditional' sports car fans" and "We want to make the cars irrelevant" which set the
    scene for the next decade and a half.

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet now. Things have gone so far off the rails that it almost
    defies belief. The American sports car racing scene has seen down times before of course, after
    1972 when the FIA withdrew its sanction at Daytona and Sebring, the "fuel crisis" of 1974, the
    Andy Evans era, somehow sports car racing survived.

Now though, with NASCAR/ISC's virtual monopoly (which they have openly stated is their intended
    goal) of many of the traditional venues, there may be no coming back, at least not easily.

BHW

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Roger Edmundson is another of the "partners in crime" in the destruction of DMG....along largely the same argument (fans didn't care about prototype racing motorcycles so to "cut costs", they were going to require more stock parts in the bikes....at which point the manufacturers left and took their $$$ with them)

btw I had to look it up, but indeed an Interscope 935 driven by Field/Ongais/Haywood won Daytona by 49 laps in 1979. that's nuts!

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #17 BartonWorkman, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    That is correct. And, the Interscope car chugged to a stop just yards from the finish
    line with a blown engine. When the checkered flag appeared, Field (I think it was) brought
    the car back to life and coasted the 935 down the banking across the finish line to take
    the win.

IIRC, in 1978, the Brumos Porsche entered 935 driven by Rolf Stommelen, Tonie Hezemanns and
    Peter Gregg won by some 60 laps.

In those days, a team could blow an engine, replace it with a new one right on the pit lane and
    still go on to a decent finish. Not sure what year it was they put the kibosh on that (probably 1980).

BHW

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the 1979 finish is listed as the largest winning margin. Rolex 24 Flashback: From the Record Book - Daytona International Speedway

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hmmmm, okay if the Internets says so.

Brumos only won by 30 laps in 1978.

BHW

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the good people at Daytonner Internashional Speedway wouldn't lie, would they?

;)

21. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Is this the same Roger Edmundson previously ran the Canadian Superbike series and is/was an Fchat member?

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    No, never.

This coming from the body which proclaimed Scott Pruett to be the most "America's most
    accomplished sports car driver".

What I remember of the Brumos victory in 1978, was they brought the car in with about an
    hour to go, parked it in the pits and washed it (taking their sweet time doing it) so it looked
    good for the cameras at the checkered flag.

So, at the checkered flag, there was the #99 winning Porsche looking shiny and brand new
    with the rest of the field looking very second hand a best.

BHW