Cheapest country to race cars? | FerrariChat

Cheapest country to race cars?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by FastLapp, Nov 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    You can find a lot of cheap deals in emerging markets. For instance, my Thai friend buys high quality, custom suits over there for a tenth of the cost here in the states. So, it got me wondering if there are similar arbitrage opportunities when it comes to racing/driving: What is the cheapest country/region to race cars?

Obviously, there's no single answer since it would depend on a lot of factors: the type of racing (not all countries have road course tracks, for instance), the level of safety you prefer, whether you own/maintain the car, exchange rates - among a million other things.

To scope the question a little more: where are the best value "arrive-and-drive" experiences? Whether that's rally driving, formula cars, karts, sports cars. Just a cursory look at formula car arrive-and-drives in South Africa shows that it's a lot cheaper for a track day there than in the US.

I wonder if there are some obscure places out there where you can get a lot of driving for very cheap. Sounds like a Top Gear challenge...

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

racing? cheap? let me know when you find a deal :)

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    do you want to catch on fire in a "pennies on the dollar" suit? ;)

that said I imagine there are deals in places with unused infrastructure like the Middle East (Dubai, Bahrain, etc) or Malaysia. US, UK/Europe, Brazil, Japan not so much. but when you factor in travel, both in dollars and hours/days lost, those deals will diminish a lot.

4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I think that place may be Russia as I frequently watch vidoes on Youtube from there and they race on the highways. No entry fee!

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

no entry fee, but the exit fee can be immense :eek:

6. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Middle East was my initial thought as well. I was also curious about Latin America.

Maybe it was a silly question, but since I can often get free/subsidized travel, I thought it warranted some research.

7. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    actually I think the US also has really cheap ways to go racing. Go buy a streetstock or latemodel car and run regional short track racing. Or SCCA