2015 Roar before the Rolex 24 | FerrariChat

2015 Roar before the Rolex 24

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Str8shooter, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    The 2015 racing season starts this weekend with the Roar before the Rolex 24 at Daytona as they take to the track
    for some practice before the Rolex 24 later this month.

Great time to take pictures as the infield isn't all cluttered up with motorhomes and displays and its pretty much free roam.
    Should be nice and cool as well. With all the chatter on here about teams dropping out of the series my only concern now is how many teams will show up.

Will I get to see some cars or will I be stuck chasing grid girls? :)

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    grid girls are fine with me :)

entry list for the Roar is 53 cars, down ~15% from last year (62 cars; 67 started the race last year). the bigger concern is the non-NAEC races, where I suspect we'll see nearly 50% fewer entries (and rightly so, frankly...there's no reason to invest in those events with virtually no ROI from any angle).

some interesting driver lineups, including Pat Long with Falken, Lucas Luhr with the factory BMW GTLM car, an "All Star" Ganassi car of Indycar and NASCAR guys, and the usual shenanigans with silver driver lineups in GTD. 24 hours should be a great race.

won't be at the ROAR, might be at the race.

3. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Sounds good!

I'm hoping for a great turnout with it being Daytona and all. One way or another I'll bring some pics back to this thread.
    Probably won't do much video as those only get a couple hundred views so its not worth the effort.

I'm going to find you at the Rolex 24. I sure as heck don't want to be the only guy on Fchat that you haven't met in person :D

4. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1....regarding NON NAEC races....

Friend of mine owns a team that ran full season in GTD last year.....he like others have dropped and moved on to other platforms/series....money is soo outrageous now (and having been a sponsor of this car....ZERO ROI)...bragging rights aside...

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Not going to Roar, but will be at the race.

6. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Any TV coverage?

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Are we wagering which event ("Roar" or the 24 Hours) gets the bigger crowd?

I keed!

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not that I'm aware of, but IMSA and a few other outlets (racer.com, etc) will post video updates on Youtube.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The "Roar" event is more of a test so a bit difficult to cover on TV like a race.

Too many teams going out on different programs, some doing long runs, tuning in their mileage, tires, etc., others doing just a few laps and making adjustments, fine tuning and dialing in settings.

Testing is always a mixed bag but there will no doubt be some media stuff going on.

Maybe Radio Le Mans will be covering it though...

BHW

10. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll be there for the race, I'll be parking in the BMW corral.

11. GeorgeDodson

GeorgeDodson Karting

Feb 12, 2008
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Full Name:
    George Dodson
    I can't find any either. That really sucks! So much for the "Fox Sports Commitment to Motorsports" that we heard about when the took over SpeedTV

Longing for the old days

George

12. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    Saturday, Jan. 24 (All times ET)
    2-4 p.m. FOX Network
    4-8 p.m. FOX Sports 2
    8-10 p.m. FOX Sports 1
    Overnight (Jan. 24-25)
    10 p.m.-7 a.m. IMSA TV on IMSA.com (live video streaming and commentary)
    Sunday, Jan. 25
    7 a.m.-2:30 p.m. FOX Sports 1

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great pics! love the new P2 cars. more of those, please :)

could you tell any significant differences in top speeds between the classes? supposedly they make tweaks to separate out the top speeds of various classes to make passing easier on straights (or banking in this case)

14. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great pics!

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #18 Str8shooter, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks!

I'm going for more today :)

Thanks!

Funny you should ask that because even to my untrained eye, there was a noticeable difference in top speeds between the classes. Taking into consideration that this is just testing / practice and everyone could have different agendas I could easily see a difference.

One car really stood out and that was the Action Express DP. From the moment they dropped the green flag ( see my pic :) ) he was flying around the track and appeared to be in a class of it's own. Of course the others could have been feeling things out but the Action Express would blow by everyone especially on the NASCAR portion of the course. Braking into the little horseshoe he would pass three or four cars and catch a couple more on the exit. Timing probably has a different car faster but visually the Action Express was very fast compared to the other cars it was around at my vantage point.

I was taking pictures at the exit of NASCAR Turn 2 and watched as a P car came up fast on one of the 458s. He was on the outside and decided to cross under to the inside on the back straight and closed so quick his diffuser almost passed under the 458. I thought he was going to hit him. Unfortunately I didn't get the pic.

I'm getting ready to go back to the track now but here's a few pics of the new Krohn car and when I get back I'll do the same with the other new P2 cars.

While I didn't see Mike Hedlund at the track I did get to see one of the cars he's driving with a nice Martini livery. ( Mike what color is your helmet so I can find your pics? )

Sorry, not one grid girl in sight :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what? Action Express, the team owned and solely funded by the France family, with ownership hidden behind their family accountant, using ECR NASCAR motors and a proprietary chassis, was fast in a series owned by the France family at a track owned by the France family? well now I've seen everything ;) :rolleyes:

good to hear about the top speeds/closing rate though. should make the race better.
    too cold :(

thanks for the pics of the Krohn Ligier! love that car and the MSR Ligier.

17. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Excellent photos, thanks for sharing.

18. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #21 Str8shooter, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought you said the Ganassi Teams were the fastest :eek:

Here is a pic of the dream team.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well you said AX was fastest :p

(and Ganassi doesn't exactly have an "arms length" history with Grand AM/NASCAR)

my decision to attend the 24 will largely depend on Roar and qualifying results...if P2s look like they can be competitive over 24 hours, I'll go. not interested in another DP runaway.

nice pic btw...wonder why Karam (or is that Larson?) doesn't have a matching puffy coat. :)

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Thanks for the great pics. Marshall Pruett published the top speeds for each class on Racer.com this morning.

21. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Wish Daytona would take out or lower some of the fencing that sprouted up over the past 10 or 15 years. Makes it more difficult for spectating and photos. Not likely, but one can wish...

22. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA