2015 Rolex 24 | FerrariChat

2015 Rolex 24

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Str8shooter, Jan 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Might be some good racing.

Anyone going?

With Monster Trucks coming to Orlando the same weekend I haven't decided yet. :rolleyes:

2. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    There is an arrive and drive 24hr kart race the week after, I'd like to drive down the Rolex 24, stay down there with my work computer, do the 24hr kart race at the Speedway's kart track, and then head back. The downside to this plan, is my usual suspects to team up with in the kart race can't make it, so I'd have to find people interested in less than a week. :(

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I'll be there with a group of guys from Charleston. Leaving early Friday morning to arrive around 1:30 or so. It's my first time there, so I'm pretty excited.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    posting here. there has to be more going from this group, I hope. I fly into Palm Beach Wed. for the Cavallino Classic. anyone going? then drive to Orlando Fri. for the race. staying at the Marriott and at the track, Chapman Suite. meet? 8592278408

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I haven't booked anything yet, but I'll likely drive down early Saturday, to get there before the start.

Str8, whats a good target time to aim for? Is it like NASCAR CUP races where they put up quite a show ahead of the event's start?

6. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    You want to be there for the start bc there will be cars that crap out in the first hour.

7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Others plan to arrive at 2:00am and cut it down to a more manageable 12 hours!

8. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The second of the weekend's Ferrari Challenge races starts at about 9:30, followed by exhibition laps with the Heritage cars. Then spend some time wandering through the garage areas watching the guys making their last minute adjustments.

Gates open for pre-race pit road access at 12:45. If you haven't been before, you will want to get a spot on the infield grass to see the driver introductions, and get close up to watch them push the cars to their starting grid positions.

See you there!

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lol! Indeed!

I recall one year we ducked away for a few hours sleep, came back at first light and my wife said "Holy crap! The Deltawing is still running!"

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This has been a problem at Daytona for a long time. In the days of the late starting
    times (3:00PM or 4:00PM), there would only be 2-3 hours of daylight running time when
    there was a full field of pristine looking cars racing.

Come daylight the next morning, a quarter of the field would be left running in less than
    pristine looking cars and often a hammer and tongs battle for the lead that went through
    the night resulted in one car leading by dozens of laps (which we all know doesn't go down well
    in the fake wood panel walled offices in Daytonner because a race is not a REAL race unless
    they may claim the "closest finish in history").

Now, with the reliability of the cars improving, this isn't so much the case any more and
    of course "race control" sees to it that no car wins by 50 or 60 laps with all of the "Lucky Dog"
    NASCAR rules which assures these melancholy close finishes.

And, now with the whole circuit lit up like a mall parking lot, sundown at Daytona doesn't
    have the same effect as it did before.

Hope it's a good race. Hope NASCAR keeps its mitts off of the race itself but doubt that they'll
    be able to help themselves. Will be monitoring but very skeptically.

BHW

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #11 GuyIncognito, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    probably not going to make it this year. rooting for anything not a DP in prototype, the Falken car in GT (though I'd take a PMNA win too ;)), CORE in PC and Scuderia Corsa in GTD.

12. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I should get there Thursday afternoon, leaving this morning. I like cruising around on Thursday when everyone is getting organized and there are no crowds. Weather for Friday/Saturday is looking a little iffy. Rain likely on Friday for the Continental race, historically they will not let umbrellas in the grandstands, just an FYI. People pile them up at the gate, then retrieve them when you leave the stands. I hate the late afternoon starts. It also means a late Sunday finish, then I have to drive back to OK, which means not very many miles on the road Sunday night.
    Still, it will be awesome, a great way to start the year, I think this is my 10th 24.
    :)

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #13 gt4me, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Be following local lad from here in Scotland Rory butcher,partnering Damien Faulkner, Kuba Giermaziak, Mike Skeen and Michael Avenatti in the Tully's Coffee sponsored Porsche 991.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    #14 EnzymaticRacer, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    I'll be there Saturday morning, will stay till late night, and then probably back early for the end of the race. Have infield parking, so should be nice and easy getting there!

This will, surprisingly, be my first pilgrimage to Daytona... really looking forward to it!

Edit... anyone have an entry list?

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando

Sorry I'm so late to answer your question, I've been out on the road :)

Rosso328 summed it up nicely so there is little to add to his suggestions.

I always buy the four day super ticket which gets access everywhere except the pits when the track is hot. If you don't have a ticket yet do your best to get one that gives you access to the fan zone and garage.

I usually get there about sunrise then walk around the manufacturer displays while spotting cool cars spectators have driven in. Then over to the garage to watch everyone getting ready for the race. Then the Ferrari Challenge race. Watch them push the heritage cars out and then do a few laps. The drivers meeting is over in victory circle with all drivers in attendance and they all walk past so it's a great time to see your favorite drivers. Then back to the garage for last minute preparations before the cars get pushed out onto the grid where you can walk around them but it is very crowded. Then over to the exit of the International Horseshoe for the start. After that you can wander the entire track for different vantage points.

My weather report says slight chance of rain on Friday but partly cloudy in the low 70s for the 24 so it should be pretty nice for the race.

I'll be there Thursday and Saturday and maybe Sunday if I have any energy left. I hope everyone coming has a great time at the track. Take lots of pictures and post them here. I'll do what I can until security throws me out for stalking the MOMO girls :D

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I got a seat in the Chapman box. across from the pits. must be a secret because it took me three days to find a person that knew what and where $550. includes four days. access to all and food at the 24 the whole time. a gift. so cheap. I have been dealing with F1 Ferrari Club tickets at $8,000. if anyone needs the phone number, ask

18. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    going to Cavallino this week and sobriety dictating.....may ride up to catch the back 1/3 of the race...

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Missing "Sponge Bob: The Movie" on the BAR1 car. Sure to be other changes.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Action Express and Michael Shank Racing will have new liveries/new sponsors.

21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #21 Patek, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you see anyone looking like me, just say hi. That will be me.
    Will be there Wed. thrus, friday.. then Palm Beach friday night and Cavallino for about 3 hours on saturday then back up to Daytona for the race.
    Stay away RAIN..............
    Hope to see everyone there.

22. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  23. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Wow! Only 45 in the Continental race. I remember when it pushed 100. But your president says the economy is doing great?

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I count 56, vs 68 last year....and most of that is Conti teams headed to PWC as well (both GT and GTS classes).

in 2014 between TUSC and Conti, there were 135 competitors; this year between the two there are 109.

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hasn't pushed those numbers since the series was known as the KONI Challenge. With PWC and a rise in marque club racing, there are more places to race than ever, now.

Still, pro sports car racing in this country is no where near recovered from it's heights...

Thanks for the good numbers.