Wayne Taylor Racing Not Doing Le Mans | FerrariChat

Wayne Taylor Racing Not Doing Le Mans

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Okay, so WTR evidently received an invitation from the ACO to take part at Le Mans
    this year? This is curious.

All this despite the fact that WTR does not run an ACO sanctioned car and did not win
    the DP championship last year.

Now, he's decided against going? Perhaps that team meltdown in the final minutes
    at Daytona on Sunday swayed the decision?

Wayne Taylor Racing Calls Off LM24 Entry - Sportscar365

BHW

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Maybe not their decision? Call made by sponsors?

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    when the ALMS/GA merger first happened, the ACO said they'd "consider" allowing a DP at LeMans.

then the reality of a DP actually winning its class at LeMans set in, and they rescinded that decision.

WTR was given an invite, and originally it was for a DP, but now they'd have to use a P2, which means buying or leasing a car and a whole ****load of spares for one race...not logistically or financially possible (that would probably have been a $5mm+ program for one race).

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That may have been some hopeful thinking on the part of the DP teams and perhaps
    the ACO was being diplomatic in light of the coming train wreck.

The ACO wasn't going to risk tarnishing its brand by having a DP car taking part in the
    24 Hours.

There's nothing in it for either side to have a DP take part at Le Mans.

There was talk about WTR going as a P2 team but that would have been from Square-1
    and little more than an extended (and expensive) test session. The boys are better
    off racing with the factory Corvette team in GTE Pro anyway.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree; but that was the nature of the "blue skies and unicorns" thinking when the merger happened.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Realistically, for a DP team to do Le Mans, it would have had to been as a Garage 57 entry
    since they certainly don't fall into LMP-1 or LMP-2 rules. But, it would have been a real
    reach for the ACO to allow a DP entry in, as this certainly isn't in their branding plan.

And, as you point out, tube frame construction was phased out in (what?) the 90s so they'd
    be light years behind the current technology racing in the 24 Hours.

But, "blue skies and unicorns" aside, it was all just happy talk to keep current DP and
    ALMS teams interested.

BHW

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the plan was to have a DP run in P2. however, in the US (IMSA), P2 cars are slowed down to match the DP speed (even after massive concessions in power and aero); it's unclear what more a DP would need to be up to WEC P2 times.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #8 Napolis, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    IMHO this will become a non event in 2017 when P1/P2/DP tubs will be the same dimensionally and be able to fit various engines and body work. IMHO the reason DP's can't run at Le Mans until then is tube frame safety for P class cars. Under the new regulations I believe this will become a non issue.

IMHO DTM and NASCAR will use the same platform one day as well and MB, BMW, and Audi will race in NASCAR and Ford, GM and others will race in DTM.

IMHO as the new Ford GT and SCG 003 will show the fastest GT cars will run TTV6's and like the Ford GT, style wise, follow the path we are traveling, GT as LMP.

It now make no sense for Wayne to spend the money to race a totally different car than his DP (a P2) for one race but IMHO in 2017 that will no longer be an issue.

As I said elsewhere about the new Ford GT:

"I like it.

This car was designed to bring Ford back to Le Mans (In GT not P).

They will have to sell 1000 street examples.

I agree with their choice of TT V6 as in endurance racing it can make maximum HP allowed with lower weight and better fuel consumption which is Key these days as it allows fewer pit stops and in some races total fuel is regulated. These engines can also be tuned to make huge torque which is what you need to overcome drag which is what downforce producing shapes also create. The problem all car companies have when designing cars that will race in GT is that, unlike us they have to fit a cockpit that is wide enough to fit two large people. This width is more than the minimum required by the GT rules and it this case will present more frontal area than for example our car and also effect carving away the front fenders to channel air to the rear wing. LMP's are shaped the way they are for a reason. To move air around the cockpit, not over it to the rear wing. Our car for example is much closer to LMP1 so much so that we can make enough downforce without having to raise the rear wing to it maximum allowed height thus reducing drag and increasing VMAX with regulated HP. The key is aerodynamic efficiency ratio, how much total (downforce less lift) downforce can you make for similar unit of drag. Our design will be more efficient than this one for that but is more extreme looking. This new Fort GT should work very well against Ferrari's 458 GT. It's carbon center section is better than Ferrari's alum chassis, similar to McLaren's, but as both have alum rather than CF subframes the base car will be heavier than our's which is an issue as even with required minimum weight using ballast which you can put very low down in the center of the car vs heavier front and rear subframes to reduce CG and polar mass for better handling. Our's does cost a bit more than theirs will...

For comparison. "
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep, DPs (and most if not all current P2s) will be obsolete in 2017.

I don't see NASCAR ever sharing a platform with DTM, or anyone else for that matter. *maybe* Australian Super V8, but only if NASCAR buys them first ;)

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We shall see...

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    unless you know something I don't....

I don't think it will ever happen, for a few reasons:

-NASCAR's long standing suspicion of technology/innovation
    -NASCAR likes to be the 900 pound gorilla, I don't see them having "design by committee" meetings with unrelated parties.
    -completely different uses for the cars (road racing vs all manner of ovals) ever wonder why F1 and Indy don't use the same specs? same reasons, but they're bigger differences here.
    -it would require total rethinking of all NASCAR classes...Cup, Xfinity, Trucks, maybe even K&N (one of the primary economies of scale for NASCAR teams is the similarity of construction amongst the cars in different classes)
    -competing manufacturer goals and agendas-Mercedes and Nissan go racing for remarkably different reasons than Ford and Chevy.
    -safety-NASCAR's current cars are probably the safest race cars ever built; it's remarkable what they can withstand. to be honest I'm not sure DTM is on that level, needs to be, or is willing to build to such an insane standard. again, look at F1 vs Indy safety requirements.
    -NASCAR, under the IMSA banner, was looking at homologating DTM specs for a US series (basically as a support series for IMSA) and talks fell apart.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    DTM builds to a VERY Safe/Strong Standard.

We shall see...

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    More than that I just don't see them giving up control (over anything really). I agree that unless they buy DTM, I just can't see why they would want to share a platform.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree, that wasn't a knock on DTM, but they aren't build to NASCAR standards-which are different, and (in most people's definitions) better.

yeah, I just don't see what's in it for NASCAR. if Nissan/Mercedes/Audi/BMW or whoever wanted to be there, NASCAR would make it happen (witness Toyota coming into the sport); they're not going to sit around and wait for a common formula to come to them.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Unless...

To save money and enable MB/Audi and BMW to run in the US and Ford and others to run in Europe.

As Karl Marx said:

"In the end there will be one company and then the government will take it over."

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I cannot really understand why a team like Wayne Taylor that obtain an entry at Le Mans wasn't able to make use of it.

There is no need to buy a car and plenty of spares just for one race, that's true, but there are several LMP2 teams that would like to race in the Sarthe and can't get an entry.

Wayne Taylor has one, and nothing could stop him from arranging a deal with one of those teams, and borrow/rent/lease a car just for one race under the WTR banner.
    Both sides would have benefited, I think.