2015 IndyCar St. Pete | FerrariChat

2015 IndyCar St. Pete

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by DNHarris, Mar 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DNHarris

DNHarris Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    Anyone headed to St Pete this year? My first race ever attending. Hopefully it is a good time!

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    May it be a fun time for you.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Enjoy it!

4. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Pirelli World Challenge as support races. Should be a good weekend.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    This track is one of my all time favorites, other than dedicated road courses, and should be fun. Have a great time and stay safe.

6. indy-25

indy-25 Karting

Nov 19, 2006
    Cars are looking good and fast.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

That is good news. Hoping for only good things for this series!!

8. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good win for JPM

9. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I didn't watch the whole race but it seems every time I tuned it that there was a SC due to some bits from the new aero kits flying off. Got kind of annoying after a while. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the race- it looked like great weather!

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    WOW… Not a single in-race post…

What are the ratings for these races?

Does anyone even care?

Are the team owners making money,… or just spending it?

11. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    It's on abc channel 7 on a primetime Sunday spot so it should garner some watchers. The stands looked full and so did the rooms overlooking the track. It's just not news on this forum because ferrari finally won a gp. I thought it was an ok race too many safety cars but overall not bad. If it drives and its not an oval ill watch it.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    +1

I watched a good part of it (live of course) and was happy to see Montoya win as I was a big fan when he was at BMW Williams. I didn't watch but more than 1 lap of the F1 race replay. The IndyCars sound a lot better on TV than the F1 cars and there's more passing going on. I'm really looking forward to going to the Alabama IndyGP in a month. I had a blast at the Baltimore GP a few years back.

13. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Is anyone going to NOLA? I had planned to go to Barber but unfortunately sister's wedding that weekend take priority...

Considering NOLA though. Grew up nearby on the MS gulf coast so could also visit some friends while I'm there.

14. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Aaaahhhhh! Spoilers! Hadn't watched the f1 race yet. Damn it!

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Firstly, a crap shoot as to what network was carrying the St. Petersburg Indy Car race live.
    Qualifying was not shown at all and only after scrolling through the various networks that
    carry Indy Car racing live do we find that it was broadcast on ABC where we had the same
    stale ensemble of commentators Alan Bestwick (isn't he a NASCAR guy?), Eddie Cheever and
    Scott Goodyear.

Racer points out, "As the cynics predicted, there were countless yellow-flag periods to clear
    debris from splintered aero kit pieces". Well, yeah.

If the start wasn't enough of an indication as to how the 2015 Indy Car season will go when
    at least a dozen pieces of these absurd aero kits went flying in different directions on the front
    straight who knows what will?

As covered when the introductions of the aero kits came out, the cars look ridiculous. Maybe
    they are better under braking (of course they are with all the added downforce on them) but
    from a purely aesthetic view, they're butt-ugly and as the parade of cautions wore on and
    the commentary team tried to paint things in the most positive light, interest waned.

How did Indy Car not see this coming? Put on all these additional winglets, tabs and foils
    in every spare available spot from nose to tail and let them loose on a tight street course, the
    result is inevitable which Kanaan compared to a NASCAR race.

Dunno how this season is going to hold interest if all the races will be are two-hour caution
    debacles. That seems to work for NASCAR but Indy Car fans won't abide.

BHW

16. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    My sincerest apologies!!

17. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Well said. Part of the appeal of Indy was the toughness of the cars. They bang into each other and walls and keep going. Take that element away and like you said, a 2 hour parade of yellows. But however it was the first race of the season on a tight street course with some learning to do so lets not jump the gun. Next is NOLA so lets see how that works out.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Looking at the Indy Car schedule, it isn't very inspired.

We may expect more debris cautions at Long Beach, a long time U.S. open wheeled
    venue with knowledgable fans who'll no doubt bring pitch forks to race control if two
    thirds of the race is run under caution.

We know that NASCAR prides itself on breaking records for the amounts of cautions they
    have per race as yesterday's debacle at Martinsville indicates. But, this is reducing racing
    to the lowest common denominator and a parade of cars stuck behind the pace car isn't
    what fans pay to see.

Wish there was something positive to point to with Indy Cars. But, as has been discussed,
    they've made virtually no buzz during the off-season, strictly limited testing which keeps
    them out of the news, a continual revolving door with their race directors and then the
    advent of these aero kits which make the cars look like a fifth grader's idea of what
    racing cars should look like.

BHW

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nope.

20. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Race boring, cars ugly, TV presenters awful........this is the recipe for success that IndyCar came up with?? Wow.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    These are the best minds in American racing today (emphasis on the today part).

As has been the problem in all the various forms of racing in the U.S., marketing positions
    are filled with brand new college graduates with shiny marketing degrees who think
    they're going to make their fortunes in racing.

Whether they know anything about racing at all is another story altogether.

But, as has been the case since the CART days, they keep making the same mistakes
    over and over, it has become beyond embarrassing.

BHW

22. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Yeah, that race was a disaster. Watching the cars leave the pits with the noses flopping all over the place was sad and hilarious all at once. What the hell were they thinking?

As much as I'm rooting for Indy to succeed, it's hard to see how it's going to happen. The cars look stupid, fall apart if a car is within 10 feet of them, and the increased aero just made the race a follow the leader fest.

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    2019 could change that if the powers that be remove ones head from ones @ss and turn the rules back to that that will permit innovation again. But......the last 18 years indicate otherwise.

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Foyt's website has the broadcast times and channels...

25. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    why?? no one is watching. :D