Denise McCluggage Passes | FerrariChat

Denise McCluggage Passes

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, May 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Fascinating lady and role model, loved her Autoweek articles. I remember reading she wore double goggles when racing (as did many other drivers at the time) and I believe she loaned a pair to, Innes or maybe Moss, - can't remember, because he didn't have a spare set. Naturally, she received a rock chip shattering her lens but continued to race blind in one eye.

Deepest sympathies to her family and friends.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Very sad. A real lady racer. Godspeed and rest in peace.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sad news.

Met her a couple of times, a very gracious lady who got to drive one of my favorites the Nart spyder at Sebring before it took part in the Thomas Crown affair.
    25 years ago at Jacques Vaucher's penthouse gallery I found an archive photo of her or her co driver in the car at Sebring, a cherished posession, wish I had it here with me to post.

I enjoyed her writings particularly a column about the limitations of linear thinkers.

RIP

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #6 Crawler, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found this photo (full page) in the 1961 Automobile Year Sebring report. The caption reads: "Denise McCluggage, professional journalist and talented driver awaits her team mate, Alan Eager, with the information board. Sharing a Ferrari they won the class reserved for GT cars." Photo W. Ballard
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #7 BartonWorkman, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
    I had the pleasure of finally meeting Denise at her induction into the Sebring Hall of Fame
    in 2012.

She was among a great class of inductees and I was suddenly invited into a meeting at the
    Chateau Elan where the induction ceremonies were being held and ended up in the ball room
    where everyone was gathering for the ceremony.

Denise was sitting on the dais all alone so I walked up to her to congratulate her on the
    achievement. She was most gracious as of course she didn't know me from a hole in the
    wall but never the less, we shared some great Sebring memories for several minutes until I
    had to excuse myself as I got pulled away for the meeting.

There was another woman racer/journalist named Pat Brooks for a time, lived in Sebring
    and wrote for various magazines much like Denise.

BHW