Le Mans Test: Porsche Throws Down Record Breaking Lap | FerrariChat

Le Mans Test: Porsche Throws Down Record Breaking Lap

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, May 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Porsche......."kill at will". They are tough. I expect them to be the winner at LeMans. Best of all....great racing in every class.

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    +1

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    As long as they can stay running. Lemans suits their ridiculous straight line speeds.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So far, at Silverstone and Spa, Porsche has been fast disappearing on the straights which
    should suit them at Le Mans.

But, let's not forget, they've also proven to be fragile with any number of mechanical issues
    mainly related to suspension, turbo, etc.

So, to be fast is one thing, to be reliable is another which is how Audi has scooped up the
    first two victories of the year.

Haven't seen the final sums so far but the long awaited debut of the Nissans has seen their
    times 17-20 seconds off of the leaders.

BHW

6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Can't wait for Le Mans this year, it's going to be a cracker.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    • Audi in positions three, five and six
    • Three Audi R18 e-tron quattro cars covered almost 4,000 kilometers
    • Difficult conditions in changeable weather

At Le Mans, Audi thoroughly prepared for the 24-hour race to be held in two weeks from now. On the official test day for the most important endurance race of the year, the three Audi R18 e-tron quattro cars completed detailed programs and reeled off 288 laps. On June 13 and 14, Audi will be battling for its 14th victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours at La Sarthe.

Audi’s engineers and race drivers concentrated on setting up the three hybrid sports cars for a circuit that can only be driven on twice a year – on the test day and during the week of the race. The work was centered on settings for kinematics, dampers and aerodynamics. In addition, the drivers tested various types of tires. In the morning, Audi Sport Team Joest managed to work out a solid basic set-up on a dry track before rain set in.

Significantly varying precipitation constantly changed the conditions during the eight-hour test day. “Obviously, something like this is less than perfect but we knew the weather forecast and these conditions can of course be relevant for the race,” said Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. “Still, we can be satisfied with our work because our R18 e-tron quattro cars were running impeccably.”

The Audi drivers were already the busiest of all squads in the morning. Marcel Fässler/André Lotterer/Benoît Tréluyer (CH/D/F), Lucas di Grassi/Loïc Duval/Oliver Jarvis (BR/F/GB) and Filipe Albuquerque/Marco Bonanomi/René Rast (P/I/D) clocked a total of 1,935.318 kilometers in the first half of the test. By the end of the day, this number had increased to 3,925.152 kilometers. “That there were almost no interruptions is a positive. As a result, all our drivers spent a lot of time on track and familiarized themselves with the circuit in different conditions,” says Chris Reinke, Head of LMP.

The fastest Audi driver was Marco Bonanomi, who needed 3m 22.307s for one lap in the morning. In the aggregated results of both practice sessions, Albuquerque/Bonanomi/Jarvis finished the test day in third place, Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer took fifth place and di Grassi/Duval/Jarvis achieved sixth position. The next few days, Audi Sport Team Joest will be preparing the three race cars at Le Mans for the race week that will begin with scrutineering on June 7.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1, fingers crossed for a porsche or Toyota win!

(but more important, excellent battles!)

9. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I heard this with the 956/962 in the first two years......then.....they owned Lemans. Look to see them at the end. I say they are the ones to beat.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If memory serves, Porsche won Le Mans overall the debut of the 956 is 1982 with Ickx & Bell
    (the factory team finishing a dominat 1-2-3) and then followed it up the next year with Haywood,
    Holbert and Schuppan winning overall over a slew of privateer and factory 956s.

The 956 was really a development of the 936 with the same flat-6 turbo engine mated with
    the new enclosed cockpit chassis which was, at the time, the ultimate development of sports
    racing cars.

Other prototype entries for the newly formed Group C included interpretations from Joest
    and the Kremer Brothers but none of them matched the 956 and for 1983, they were all
    running customer 956s.

The 919s on the other hand are a radical departure from anything Porsche has ever done
    with the flat 4-cylinder turbo engine with 8MJ hybrid, these cars are very tricked out with
    over 1000BHP once the hybrid kicks in (which should be clearly visible on the long straights).

With the fastest test time clocked at 3:21.061, some are suggesting the pole winning qualifying
    times may well be in the 3:10 +/- area but that will depend largely on conditions and the fact
    that they qualify at night, we may see the times really tumble.

BHW

11. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    The 956 was the 1st monocoque race car Porsche built, I believe it was also their 1st ground effects car . So not really a development of the 936. But the engine was the same.

I just hope they can outlast the Audis,tired of them winning every year!

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No, the 936 chassis was a spaceframe derived from the 917.

The 956 was Porsche first monocoque and made in aluminium. It had ground effect tunnels in the sidepods too

Apart from the powertrain the cars didn't have much in common.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Porsche is my favourite too.

I have enough of AUDI diesels, and Toyota seems to be on the back foot this year.

As for Nissan, interesting but totally unproven concept.

I would never have dreamed to see front-wheel drive in endurance!

14. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Truthfully.....I love them ALL!!! Open development,innovation, talented drivers, mechanics, teams and a sanctioning body that writes rules to encourage the above. And they wonder why Lemans continues to bring in an audience while others can't get anybody to watch. I wonder why? :p

15. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +24

16. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Hoping for a Porsche win but wtf happened to Toyota this season?

17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_2N3tGMEg[/ame]

18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Nissan will be fun to watch. Regardless of how the finish......it will be interesting to see what the Nismo does.

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm very excited to see it in action. Haven't been this excited about sports cars since the glory days of IMSA...this is really cool stuff.

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    With the Nissan, Jann Mardenborough made a comment about the visibility being poor with the A-pillars. Why didn't Nissan make them clear or see through?

I'm guessing that they are CF and integral to the structure of the car, so that may not have been an option. However, if they just support the "glass", why not make the cockpit like a "fish bowl" or bubble?

Just a thought...

21. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Only 14 days and we all get what we want.......real racing and the best stuff the human mind can imagine. I look forward to LeMans 2015.

22. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree.

23. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Vorsprung durch technik!

(looks down at all the pruning saws...)

24. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hope none of them finish after that total weasel move that Nissan has pulled with the Delta Wing Design theft- I hope Panoz destroys them in court, too.

25. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wouldn't mind a Porsche win, although Audi certainly has worked hard to compile an amazing record.
    Looking forward to the GT wars in a year or so.