Night race, 1 minute pit stop. What to eat ? | FerrariChat

Night race, 1 minute pit stop. What to eat ?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by WILLIAM H, Jun 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    So I have a night race this weekend
    I'll b driving a 2 hr shift
    Got to come in for gas & tired after 1 hr
    Got 1 minute to eat or drink

What would you do & why ?

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Protein bar and a coke. Protein for muscles to keep from cramping and a Coke for the caffine. Keeps your brain alert and a wide awake feeling. Don't over do. If it get too hot in the car....switch to Gatorade or another all body refuel.

Have fun and best of luck.

3. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You could probably have enough nutrition from the meal you consume before the race to last a couple hours. I'd have a sports drink and a squeeze packet like a GU to finish up your final hour. Quick carbs and caffeine, easy to digest. Sports drink and/or a bite of a banana will prevent cramping.
    During my endurance events(mainly mountain bike races), these items were plenty for the shorter stints. Fruit, bars,custom mixes were only needed for the long stuff.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    smuckers uncrustables = peanut butter jelly sandwich
    consult an ironman triathelete those guys got nutrition nailed.

5. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I've done an IronMan and several other endurance events. Here's my recommendation: in a 2 hours stint, you should not need to eat much during the pitstop. The pre-stint meal would be more important. I would do a high-carb meal 3-4 hours before the start of the race, and then maybe a banana and Gatorade 1hr-30 min before you get in the car. Maybe some black coffee to help you sh*t.

During the pitstop, I would get some simple carbs and salt/potassium. I would recommend:

1. water/Gatorade mix
    2. 1-2 salt pills to prevent cramping (Amazon.com: SaltStick Caps Electrolyte Replacement Capsules Dietary Supplement 100 count bottle: Sports & Outdoors)
    3. a GU pack (you can get these with caffeine too if that's your thing)

Coke can work too, but personally I don't like the carbonation (makes me burp).

Two other things: don't eat a lot of fiber day of the race (like raspberries, blueberries, etc.) since it retains water and can make you feel sluggish. Also, don't experiment with anything new day of race (i.e. don't drink a 5-hour energy or a Redbull if you don't regular use them) - you don't want any surprises!

Good luck!

6. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    PB&J before it and maybe a banana during the pitstop. I've run for yrs and for any race over 5k this is all that's on the menu. I try to eat a banana after races but I hate bananas.

7. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    PB&J is good anytime. As a mechanic working on these toys, you can scarf one down in a minute and your stomach says nothing for hours. Banana's are great if not too ripe. Just don't wash them down with a Coke!

8. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Yup, no coke, nothing carbonated...unless they have a beer tent at the end of the race! You gotta get your carbs back in you, right?!!

9. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Beer is a food group all by itself!!!! :D

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    1 scoop protein (muscle recovery)
    1 scoop creatine (energy & water retention)
    1 banana (energy)
    1 tablespoon peanut butter (taste & energy)
    1 pinch of salt (prevents cramps)
    ice

Blend it all into a shake. Get some milk if needed. easy to digest, easy to drink up in one minute.

11. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    William H - how'd it go? What did you eat?

12. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Am I too late? A good apple.