Will Ferrari Ever Win Le Mans Again? | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari Ever Win Le Mans Again?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    In conjunction with my thread about Ford GT driver nominees for next year, it came to my attention that Ferrari hasn't won overall since before the GT 40 juggernaut. (Obviously) THAT'S HALF A FRIGGING CENTURY!
    Will Ferrari ever win outright again?
    Let the bench racing begin!

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A factory Ferrari team or a Ferrari customer car?

I think a huge question would be if Ferrari themselves would even run at Le Mans again.

A team like AF Corse has a shot but I think it'd take some luck (i.e. Ford, Corvette, and Porsche dropping out) for it to happen.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Assuming you mean factory, that'd be awesome!!
    Couldn't the hybrid technology of LaF, turbo of 488, aerodynamic and CFD expertise from F1, etc. be leveraged to get competitive? On that other hand -does their impending public offering make this very unlikely?
    T

4. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When was the last time a GT car won overall?

Unless Ferrari decides to go all in and create an LMP1 program - highly unlikely - we can only look for class wins.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer

Considering the competition at LeMans today and the amount of money involved.....I would say the above statement applies. Only way it could be done is if Ferrari stops its F-1 program and dedicates itself to LeMans. As stated, the above staement applies.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a Ferrari 458 won GTE-AM two weeks ago...how soon we forget :(

they also won GTE-PRO last year.

that said, they ain't winning OA anytime soon without a massive budget and long technical program.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Mclaren F1 in 1995.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The GT1 back then, didn't have much in common with the GTE today.

Honestly, I cannot see a GTE winning under the present rules.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree, but that wasn't the question :)

McLaren F1 was the last GT car to win it, even if that was effectively the top class at the time.

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Come to think of it, maybe I should start a parallel thread called, "will a gasoline engine car ever win Le Mans again".

12. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    The only way Ferrari could win is bringing someone with a strong authority, direction and vision.

Luca Di Montezemolo

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The Porsche that won this year had a gasoline engine.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Le Mans, or even endurance, doesn't seem to be a priority in the FIAT-Chrysler's strategy.
    They continue to put all their eggs in the same basket: F1.

It's probably better that way. There are not many company that pursue F1 and endurance goals at the same time.

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    And an absurd amount of money I´d say.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    AF Corse already has beaten most of those, but to beat all the protoypes (around 20 cars) with a GT car they wouldn´t need some luck but a miracle.

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    William is correct, & I was mistaken!

18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ferrari doesn't care about the overall at Le Mans. :( Too bad they didn't put more weight behind the F40 and F50 when they were relevant.

As for what it would take now, that's far too much of a distraction from F1. But can you imagine the glory and fanfare if the LaF LM or an even more extreme creation took the crown?!! The media blitz and advertising revenue would be massive. I wish the powers that be would look at it that way. The dull-looking topless Audis that won for many years in a row were very unexciting; I stopped watching altogether until the closed-cockpit Darth Vader diesels starting coming into the picture! :D But a screaming Ferrari V-12 at the very front would be vastly more satisfying.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This type of thread seems to pop up every year. And, every year, the answer is always
    the same.

Luca Di Montezemolo had the opportunity to enter factory prototypes at Le Mans during
    the WSC days in the 90s with 333-SPs. He opted instead to give his blessings to privateer
    efforts some of which ran well but came up short. The thought at the time was that it would
    take a full factory effort for a 333-SP to win Le Mans overall and that never happened.

For a GTE entry to win Le Mans now is quite simply impossible. The factory entered LMP-1
    Porsches, Audis, Toyotas are by leaps and bounds faster and their ultimate strength, reliability,
    automatically locks any GTE entry out of contention for an overall win.

Ferrari will be coming with the 488 GT next year and with turbo boost should be solid competitive
    against the Porsches, Corvettes, Aston Martins, etc.

It would take a massive turning back of the clock for a GT entry to win overall at Le Mans.
    And, with the popularity of the current formula (the WEC being the most relevant series
    in the world) and factory entries supporting LMP-1, the ACO would be insane to make
    any changes at this point.

BHW

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I agree it's virtually impossible for a GT car to win overall. Then build a prototype! If Ferrari desires, as rumored, to sell a lot more road cars, then winning Le Mans overall would certainly be worth considering. At any rate it would be fascinating.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The last time I heard, Ferrari wanted to limit its production, and even to slightly scale it down. This to maintain the mark prestige and not devalue the brand.

Ferrari doesn't need to go back at Le Mans to advertise, and it would probably not affect its sales whatsoever if it pulled out of F1.