24 Hours of Spa- Ferraris doing well | FerrariChat

24 Hours of Spa- Ferraris doing well

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Barry, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #2 Ferri, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    It was a hectic but epic race. Typical Spa. Tons of rain, dry, mixed, … you name it, we got it. Unfortunately many SC sessions. The difference between certain AM drivers and the PRO's is simply too big. Something that will need to be fixed going forward but then again, take away the AM's and you will see less cars on the grid. Delicate balance of commercial and safety.

That aside … it has been a magic 24 hours to attend.

Congrats to car 111 from Kessel. With 40 minutes to go they snatched 3rd place in their class.

Cheers,

M

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think I'm right in saying that the vast majority of teams are run by am teams. I think the bare minimum requirements to enter needs to be looked at, to become a bronze driver is all too easy (case in point, that Russian kogay from last year who nearly killed someone). Lap times are good and all but not an accurate measurement of one's ability. For relative unknown bronze drivers, there needs to be a separate rule set almost. Let them know they are being looked at strictly. Too many amateur stunts and it's a disqualification.

Also request opinion of race series the driver in question entered before (to get to minimum required race meetings) if the driver is able to race in such a tough race.

Sure I missed some bits but am on my phone.

4. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    I'm rated a Bronze, but I hear you.

There should be stricter standards for participation, not simply the ability to write a check. The cars are simply too fast and it's too easy for somebody to get hurt or have a $500-900k car written off because of someone else.

-mike

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

And don't get me wrong, there are plenty of ''just bronze'' drivers who are very capable...

6. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Totally agree but I know of a Russian driver this year who was on his 4th race only and his best lap time on Friday in dry conditions was 3:00 minutes. That is 40 seconds off the time of the pro drivers and far off the pace of other qualified bronze drivers. My wife runs quicker around Spa in a 991 GT3 for God's sake. Massive time differences like these make it very dangerous and one should ask the question if drivers running 3 minute lap times around Spa should be allowed to participate.

7. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Spot on ...

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's a tragic lap time and I wouldn't believe it if it didn't come from A credible source! How is it even possible to go that slow!

A driver like this should not be allowed to enter full stop.

9. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    +1 simply too dangerous; i've driven monza a few times and it can be extremely dangerous if you are out there with someone that is genuinely clueless such as the chap in question