Casey Stoner hurt | FerrariChat

Casey Stoner hurt

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 2000YELLOW360, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Crashed during the race at Suzuka in Japan. Multiple broken bones. Seems that if you retire the odds are good you'll get hurt if you try to return. Seen several of my friends got hurt when they tried tried a come back. Hope he gets better soon.

Art

2. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My hope is he stays retired - the sport has been good to him and vice versa...nothing more to prove.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Very true.

Stoner should enjoy his retirement and not tempt fate ...

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am happy that he is okay.

I miss Stoner in MotoGP. The guy was certainly in the top echelon of talent, and would make any fight for a Championship more interesting.

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  7. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
  8. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    WOW, he smoked that barrier. Wow...

9. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I can imagine how he feels. Broken bones on both sides. Been there done that. It sucks.

Art

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    When they race motorcycles, going in they know that serious injuries are part
    of the game. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

Remembering watching a Motocross event once and a guy had broken his neck one
    week and was back racing the next. It was insane especially once they showed the
    x-rays. The guy was lucky to be alive and walking much less going through a Motocross
    circuit.

Stoner is an interesting case. Quit MotoGP at the height of his career because he wasn't
    comfortable with the media limelight. Then, complained that Rossi got more attention
    than him which, in his mind, justified walking away.

Success does strange things to these young guys sometimes.

BHW

11. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    By the time you get to the professional level, you've been to the hospital more than once. The sport weeds out the wimps rather quickly. However, when you get to motogp, you are pretty weird. The sacrifices needed to get there are huge. I've known, met, represented a few of those guys, and they are pretty much ego driven, and narcissistic,. but fun to hang out with. They definitely aren't you or me, that's for sure.

Art

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Haha!

Yeah, motorcycle and boat racers are a breed apart.

BHW

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #13 rdefabri, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    I thought he quit because of his anemia and stomach issues, which was allegedly from the stress?

Either way, you know these guys are a different breed. One of my favorites was Troy Bayliss, who I believe could have done more in MotoGP - he had a testicle and part of his finger removed after a crash in WSBK...hardcore dude!!!

***EDIT - Honda apologized to Stoner for throttle malfunction.

14. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  15. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    My lord, how many times have we said this about drivers?

Neil Bonnett comes to mind first, there have been others.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Not to derail the thread, but Troy Bayliss did a bit of a fill-in/comeback for Ducati early this year and then continued with his new hobby of dirt track. With fan interest he did the Springfield Mile this year but failed to qualify, and then the next week broke his leg is a nasty crash at the Sacramento Mile.

As for Stoner, always appreciated his talent and he was the first rider in nearly a decade that was faster than Rossi overall. All things being equal, Stoner was faster than Rossi. Lorenzo and Marquez today are also arguably faster than Rossi as well, but Stoner was the first.

It is my opinion that we will see Stoner back on the bike, possibly for next years 8-hour. I assume he doesn't need the money, so it must be just to enjoy himself.

In a perfect world he would be in WSBK if he wanted to avoid MotoGP. He would be a great addition to the series.

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Mark Donohue ?

Nelson Piquet ?