COTA Lemans Series 9/17 thru 9/19. | FerrariChat

COTA Lemans Series 9/17 thru 9/19.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BigTex, Jul 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I could have put this in Texas Section, I suppose.
    :D :D :D

I am getting advance ticket offers, for the September 17 thru 19 weekend.
    Anyone going?

They have a Multi Turn pass that includes the Main Grandstand at $99 each.
    Parking right in front in Lot A, for $35.

Sounds cheap enough.
    The great part of the weekend is the Open Paddock, as well as some night racing.

2. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *crickets*

I think renting a motor home and camping 'up on the hill' would be a blast.....if you did not get stuck in the mud.

Except for all "The Rules"...open fires, nudity...that sort of thing....:rolleyes:

Is anyone going to this?

I have my GS tickets, Parking Pass, and Team Risi gear, from the Internet store!!

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    WEC is at the Ring this weekend! Porsche vs Audi vs Toyota in the monster LMP1 cars!

4. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    ....i guess you are not allowed to burn buses either....Sheesh!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nope, a jackstand in the fresh asphalt will get you thrown right outta there!!

I am thinking I will buy my super ticket, but dress as a Volunteer and still go around helping people...you know, random acts of kindness.

Like the time I was reprimanded for being out of station (on my lunch break in the Parking Lot at my truck) and was helping a very old couple.

It turned out their son was a team owner and was out on the track!
    They were lost looking for his paddock area, in the overflow lot.

6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Flying from P.R. to see the race. The open paddock, accessibility of the drivers & the atmosphere is the main reason why I also go down every year to Daytona.

Another good reason to go to COTA is for the food at Black's BBQ in Lockhart.

Do you have other recommendations for good BBQ in the area Bigtex? :)

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sure!

There's the City Market in Luling, known as one of the "100 best places in the world to eat" .....not much on atmosphere, they serve by the pound, and wrap it in paper!

In Austin, Franklins is all the buzz, line down the street...blah blah blah..

LA BBQ is the daughter of the old family business, in business but split up with her brother...well documented split written up in Texas Monthly.

South of town, it's the famous Salt Lick. In Dripping Springs....my daughter's sorority throws bashes there...

The race is wonderful, for the open Paddock and other reasons you cite, I can PM my number, I stay with an old college friend on South Congress.

Definately make it south of the river, Continental Club and C Boys are live music venues, on Congress, and the resturants like El Mercado on South First are true Old Austin. On South Lamar, The Saxon Pub and The Broken Spoke have live music every night!

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Blacks BBQ on Riverside, actually has NOTHING to do with the Blacks you mention, in Lockhart...LOL!

9. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Thanks!
    :) :)

10. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    The same thing happened to me last May when I went to to the one in Lockhart... I asked the question about another near Austin (Maybe the one on Riverside); and after 5 agonizing seconds I was told "No Sir and the food here is better".

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think there's litigation underway...

The one on Riverside is crazy expensive, and I think the scales are off....:D

12. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Anyone seeing this on the tube? Looks like it starts at 6:pM EST. I see it may be live streaming on FIAWEC site, but not sure.

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Have it on dvr. I find sportcar and enduro much more entertaining than the current F1

14. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    COTA is live P Cars 1-2 in LMP 1 and GT Audi not far behind 2 hr to go I can only get live time & score

15. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I save the 6 hour WEC and the imsa series to watch later on. I just enjoy watching it so ill do it when I work out or just laying in bed.

16. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    We have some Fchat members who raced COTA (gatorgreg in his 430C was one of them), I wonder how they did.

17. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    We raced in the Continental race on Friday. It was hot! 104 with the heat index. We struggled with setup all week but managed a top 10 finish, our third in a row. It was my first race at COTA, very difficult technical track.

Matt

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Watched the WEC race at COTA practically the whole way through, even with the midnight
    ending in the ETZ.

What strikes me is, even though this was a six hour race, it seemed to fly by. It is riveting
    racing all through the classes.

On the other hand, F-1 for example, I can't wait for it to be over. Even though with today's
    outstanding finish by the Scuderia and Vettel capping off a perfect weekend, there is no
    where near the spectacle of the WEC.

BHW

19. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    For those that went, how were the crowds?

20. t squared

t squared Rookie

Aug 14, 2006
    The announced attendance for the entire weekend was 58,400...which is about an 8,000 increase over last year, if I recall correctly (and a fairly strong number by WEC standards). In a facility of that size, the attendees are spread out and no issue at all.

They also announced that the series is adding a race in Mexico City on Sept. 4, 2016, which should be a good thing, and Juan Pablo Montoya may be testing for a seat in the Porsche LMP1 919's.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The track design itself turned out very well...I have missed several chances to drive it with the Ducati Club.

22. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    So I finally got around to watching coverage of the IMSA Tudor event at COTA....

Appalling!
    When you are permitted with no penalty to race at 4 or 5 car widths outside of the exit of the corner, what is the point. It was a free for all with cars darting on and off the track at any turn of any degree of difficulty. While I understand the desire to keep cars racing after a mistake that puts them outside of the bounds of the track, having NO penalty for racing well off the track is just an embarrassment. Track design needs natural deterrents to keep cars inbounds.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You must have been looking at Turn 19..I would not call it 'racing' to be that far off the line!!

Turns 3,4,5 are threading a needle at 9/10s...

A Ducati rider broke his leg, losing it between T1 and T2, going down the hill.

Come drive it!!

24. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    It was rampant at turns 1, turn 15 and turn 20, almost every car, every lap. It was not racing, maybe bumper cars. What made it so bad is that "Race control" told the drivers that they could race out there. Bull! Enforce track limits or don't race.

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are going to put tracks over the stars!!!!

WTF!!

I am sorry to have missed this year.
    It's fun to explain to my former co workers I was "fired" as a volunteer, working for free!