New IMSA Title Sponsor | FerrariChat

New IMSA Title Sponsor

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Aug 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a few thoughts:

- glad to see a successful business sees value in American sports car racing

- surprised weather tech increased their involvement after getting screwed out of a class win at Sebring last year (the 912/22 debacle)

- either this isn't a particularly expensive title sponsorship, or I need to get into the floor mat business :eek:

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Will you make a "turbopanzer" addition of floor mats??? :D

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    with extra special BS repellent!

:)

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I don't have any of their floor mats, but I've had their side-window vent visors on my last three Hondas, and they're great! I can crack my window open a little to let some of the hot air out, without having to worry about rain getting in if it happens. Everyone ought to have them. (Of course, they won't fit on a 328 GTS!)

6. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The 5 page adds are pageturners

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think a little of both. Weather Tech extremely successful and profitable business and owner/sons love cars & racing. I doubt IMSA has much selling power with sponsors though.

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    To your second point... Could be insurance against that happening again! (I am not familiar with the events you reference.)

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think of title sponsorship being an eight figure/year proposition, that's a big spend in addition to funding a race program. so either I'm off base or the margins for floor mats are crazy!

and btw I have a weather tech mat in the back of my Jeep, every SUV needs one :)

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Wise decision !! :)

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Caught some of the race today from Road America.

Gotta say, there seems to be more camera attention on the GTE class than for overall.

At one point, they'd concentrated on GTE for so long, I thought to myself, jeez what's going
    on at the front of the field?

And, what about those starts where they separate the Prototurtles from the GT cars for
    like a minute? What is the reasoning behind this?

BHW

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    GTE is what really matters for IMSA...full factory (or factory supported) efforts, that's where all the money, sponsors, and PR congregates. half the P field is owned or supported by the France family, where's the fun in that?

the theory is a gap between P and GT creates a "buffer zone" in case there's an incident at the front of the field; you have 12 cars that can pile into the crash instead of 30. personally I'd rather see all cars in one group.

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    So we get force fed a class that people may have little interest in just because the factories want more air time? And we wonder why racing is in decline.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    GTLM is by far the most popular class with the fans.

of course you knew that, because you actually follow IMSA instead of just *****ing about it on the Internet, right? ;)

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, they know we like GTE (LM) or whatever they call it, why not do away with these
    so-called prototypes and concentrate on the GTE class rather than this charade of a
    "P" class that no one cares a wit about.

I bet if you asked the Taylor boys which car they'd really rather be in, that "Corvette
    Prototype" or the factory GTE Corvette, their answer would be GTE Corvette.

The separated field just looks silly at the start. All because of some conceived notion
    that there will be a big cock-up at the first turn with all those cars running into it? I ain't
    buying that.

Didn't that really start when the GT cars beat the DP cars in the 24 Hours of Daytonner
    a few years on the trot and they had to make a move to block that from happening again?

BHW

16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I think that we keep going in the same circle with racing today expecting the fans to come in droves ,yet the interest keeps declinng because the face of the sport remains the same. That simply being a few continue to play a game that involves the need to sell their product and not create a platform for real competition. Getting someone interested in the sport involves a lot more than media fluff and marketing packages.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, you'll get your wish in the next race at VIR, since that will be for the two GT classes only.

And I think interest will be increased next year when the new Ford GT joins the fray.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #18 BartonWorkman, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    So VIR will be worth watching then!

Hopefully, they won't have it buried on some obscure network and time.

What was interesting about the P classes yesterday was at one point, the Ganassi Ford
    was having a hard time with one of the P2 Ligiers (which look great BTW). Pruett couldn't
    put a dent in the Ligier's time and it was interesting to watch the Ligier leave that lumbering
    hulk behind in the turns.

Those Porsches in GTLM looked indecently quick, some very good drivers there too.

Next year, Ferrari comes with the 488 Turbo which they're already testing. That should
    spice things up in GTLM and GTE Pro as well.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/120105-imsa-new-gtlm-ferrari-f488-begins-testing

BHW

19. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    The Ganassi car lost pace very early in the race due to "boost" issues. I'm not sure they ever resolved it. Granted the P2s are quicker this year.

This is the second race in a row Conor Daly went from hero to zero. Very disappointing to watch as I want the guy to succeed.

The GT battle was something else at the end. A bummer the 458 couldn't hold off the 911 but what a battle!

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I for one am just glad to have Sports car racing at all. It could be a lot worse and we'd have nothing!

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the GTLM battle was amazing! good hard clean racing by two of the best.

I can't figure Daly out, seems to have the worst luck, some of it not his doing (car catching fire on the parade laps at Indy), some of it his doing (out braking himself yesterday). when he's good he's awesome, when he's not....yikes.

truth.