2016 Indianapolis 500 | FerrariChat

2016 Indianapolis 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Nov 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I'm planning on going next year. I've never been to Indy and want recommendations on where to sit.

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Turn One. You get the front straightaway,turn one and the short chute into turn two.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree.

Ron Paul (user RP) has some killer tickers in the T1 penthouse. I bought them a few times years ago. amazing seats and the start of the race is epic.

shoot him a PM and see what his plans are for using them.

4. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Oh God!! We agree again !!! The world is coming to an end!!! Scotch for everyone !! :D

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #5 GuyIncognito, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    repent now!

:)

here's a pic from those seats. this is the start of the race in 2010.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I went twice on RP's tics. No better seat in the house

7. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    And if you have actual racing......you may see someone passing for postion going on the outside of turn one. It is a great spot to be in when it does happen. Rick Mears, Bobby Unser and Tom Sneva made this a great thing to watch.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #8 RP, Nov 23, 2015
    First to respond to the OP, any seats in the Penthouses on the front straight are great. Face value on the Penthouses are now $230. They are covered, no rain and usually no sun. Otherwise, Turn One, or the short straight between Turns One and Two. Uncovered. Two years ago we bought rather fairly two seats in the former front straight press box (see photos), so try that. My suggestion, get on Ebay now, start looking, prices will only go up as you get closer to May. Tickets are not sent out until the end of March, early April, so be sure the seller has an excellent rating to trust them with your money so early. For 2016, expect to pay much more than face value. I have always sold my one seat for face value plus insured shipping to the guys here on FChat..

Today I checked out my Chase Bank statement, damn somehow it was a bit lower than it should have been. I checked, IMS charged me $230 so I called them.

They researched, and told me that after 35+ years of my one seat in E Penthouse, they were able to get me two together. I was 19 my first Indy 500. I have been asking for a second seat for all of those years, but have been buying a pair of seats elsewhere. I renewed the seat even if I knew I would not be going. My former neighbor was Donald Cummins of Cummins Diesel (like Al Unser's sponsor), and his wife. She would cover her eyes for the first 10 laps. This Penthouse has the longest running renewals at IMS.

I asked the young lady to repeat what she just told me, I listened, I dropped the phone, I held my chest, tried to breathe, picked up the phone, and I told her I think I was having a coronary. After hanging up, ran to the kitchen for a large shot of vodka.

E Penthouse is the absolute best in the stadium as you have read on this thread. I used to be a photographer, if there was a rain delay, I would head to this seat to relax. A few times I was asked to babysit the girlfriends of some of the Dayton Walther team, most teams have seats in this Penthouse.

For 2016 the ticket prices went up from $180 after 15 years, to $230. So for $460, I have two of the best seats for the greatest motor sport show in the world. And yes, have been to Lemans, Monaco, Daytona, Monza, but for sheer excitement, nothing beats the Indy 500. If Austin had only learned from IMS.

Normally, a pair of seats in E Penthouse would sell on EBAY for over $1000. But for this 100th 500 anniversary, a ticket reseller friend in Ft. Lauderdale, told me he would pay me $2000, he would likely get as much as $3000.

But the Mrs. loved her 500 experience two years ago, so we are going. Made hotel reservations at two Choice hotels this past June 1, we are set. Probably will fly into Dayton, Cincinnati, or Columbus so we can get our Skyline Chili and White Castle cheeseburger fix.

I have a received an early holiday present. The shock has not warn off yet.

9. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good for you man. With all that you two have faced in the last few years I am happy that she is going. I hope you have the time of your life. :)

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1M

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That great news RP!!

Yep, seats like that tend to become family heirlooms!

Cummins is a big fan, they sponsored me here in Houston for a time.....
    Of course I DO buy a lot of stand by power sets!!

:D :D :D

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #12 RP, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    Thanks to all, we really excited!

KYLEC: Forgot a few important points, first book a room now. Indianapolis has Interstate bypasses and I-40 runs right through the middle of the city. Best prices are way east, or way far northwest. Second, and your time saver, depending on where you find a room at a reasonable price, if you are east, drive to the I believe it is called the RCA Center downtown, park your car, and pay the $$ to take the bus to IMS. Or if you are west, drive to the airport, follow the signs for the buses, pay to park and buy your round trip bus ticket. The buses have their own route so they do not get stuck in traffic. You get dropped off a 10 minute walk to the Speedway. When the race is over, walk back, expect long lines for boarding, go back to your car. Carry a very small umbrella in your back pack, it may rain while you are waiting. They used to confiscate umbrellas, so if they are not allowed, then buy some of those $1 disposable raincoats.

IMS is located in the middle of a residential area, so parking is tough. People pay homeowner $$ to park on their lawns, and they renew every year. Otherwise, no bus, plan on arriving at 4-5 AM and wait in your car 2-3 hours to get to the Speedway. I did the IMS parking lots once, the wait to get to one was nearly 3 hours, the wait to leave after was 3 hours.

Dress in layers. Weather in that part of the world can change fast. I have been there before the race starts wearing a ski park, ski gloves, scarf, wool sweater, flannel shirt, still feeling the cold air in the upper stands. By the time the race started, I was down to a t-shirt, everything was in the trash bag I brought folded in my coat pocket.

Check the IMS web site as to what you can and not bring into the Speedway. Security will be very tight, now maybe like an airport. This is still the single largest attended one day sporting event. Get to IMS at least 3-4 hours early. Walk to the IMS museum infield, worth the visit. Beautiful 250 LM on display.

Finally they do not race in the rain. I usually plan to stay over another night in case the race is delayed until the next day, my return flight is not until late the next day or even the day after. I do not believe IMS is lit for night racing, but they do $millions in improvements since last year. Indianapolis is really fun, plan to go to St. Elmo's fire in downtown for their shrimp cocktail which will burn your mouth. Used to stay downtown for the F1 races, a great time. I walked into an elevator one year to go jogging, door opens, there was MS himself. So make the race a mini vacation.

"First to respond to the OP, any seats in the Penthouses on the front straight are great. Face value on the Penthouses are now $230. They are covered, no rain and usually no sun. Otherwise, Turn One, or the short straight between Turns One and Two. Uncovered. Two years ago we bought rather fairly two seats in the former front straight press box (see photos), so try that. My suggestion, get on Ebay now, start looking, prices will only go up as you get closer to May. Tickets are not sent out until the end of March, early April, so be sure the seller has an excellent rating to trust them with your money so early. For 2016, expect to pay much more than face value. I have always sold my one seat for face value plus insured shipping to the guys here on FChat.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just camp in the yard, over off 16th street...about six houses down from the Entry Gate!

Hotel room would be nice...

14. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Been a few problems past two years in the Coke Lot camping/party areas despite the Speedway wannabeecops.

Agree on the bus in, even if you park in a yard, it takes a long time to get out in traffic. I unfortunately have to park at a friends house outside of turn 4 for the 500, the GP and MotoGP I could leave my house 30 minutes before the start, and be home an hour after the finish...........but it's fun watching the masses trudge by while sitting, drinking and grilling until 6 or so.

There will be a lot of extracurricular stuff for the 100th going on, Main Street Speedway is building up fast with restaurants and raceshops, the new Kart facility will be open then too

15. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I'm thinking Penthouse B will be where we end up. The prices look about half of E.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #16 Gatorrari, Dec 6, 2015
    I had the pleasure of buying RP's seat in Penthouse E in 2013, and it was one of the best seats in the house, as you could see the cars from the exit of turn 4 through the exit of turn 2, including some of the pit action. A quick trip downstairs before the race to get one of their signature tenderloin sandwiches, and I was set for what turned out the fastest and most competitive 500 in history. Heck, it was over by 2:45 PM!

I elected to stay in Louisville (2 hours south) and had a trouble-free trip up I-65. I took the beltway west to the airport and took the shuttle bus that drops you off across the street from the south short chute, quite close to my seat.

(And while in Louisville, I visited the Louisville Slugger factory, a fascinating tour.)

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd love to go to this day one day! Bought three day tickets with paddock pass for the Barber event before Indy...that should do for now.

18. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #18 Heat Seeker WS6, Dec 8, 2015
  19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico