Nissan withdraws from WEC | FerrariChat

Nissan withdraws from WEC

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by william, Dec 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That stinks :(

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    handwriting was on the wall when Darren Cox resigned a few months ago, but to do this 3 days before Christmas (most of the team is based in Indianapolis), is absolutely shameful.

Le Mans/WEC - WEC: Nissan Quits LMP1

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Keep seeing the word "innovative" sprinkled throughout the article.

Wouldn't the car be "innovative" if the obscure design and implementation been successful?

Can't think of too many cars that have come along in my life time with as much fan fare
    to complete in only one race. Perhaps a more traditional approach would have gone better
    for them.

The Nissan BoD must now certainly be rethinking their entire approach to motorsport.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    $15mm Superbowl ad....for this.

amazing.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The pity is that the concept was rushed to the track, when it could have benefited from one or two years of testing to show its validity and iron out the gremlins.
    The Nissan were plagued with components realiability problems as soon as they hit the track, in the full glare of the media.
    The project suffered from adverse publicity, and that's what must have pushed the decision makers to sideline it.

Great pity in my book.

7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I do not see anything about good or successful results in the definition. :)

I have many innovative failures saved in a "didn't work this time" type folder on my computer at work.

Once in a while, something can come along that makes those ideas pan out, sometimes, they sit there forever.

If I only did what had been done before, I wouldn't have a job creating things that hadn't been done before.
    "an innovative thinker"

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This doesn't surprise me really. Seems like they never had this thing working properly and were spending so much money just to get to the performance of more traditional designs. Kudos for trying something new I guess, but I never understood what was so compelling about the design....guess I never will now.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Nissan put a ton of money into the DeltaWing project as well, one wonders where they'd be if they had consolidated their DW, P1 GTR and P2 motor program budgets and gone straight head to head against Porsche/Audi/Toyota with a mid engined car.

maybe they'd have something to hang their hats on. or maybe they'd be in the same place with fewer obvious excuses.

gotta love trying to innovate but as Sideshow Bob says, there's no Nobel prize for attempted chemistry.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    When thinking innovative, it's usually something along the lines of the Lotus 79 or BMW
    LMR-V12. Something that threw down the gauntlet which others then follow. And, you
    see this immediately inherent in these types of cars. It just wasn't in this Nissan.

The Nissan, for all of its quirks, made no sense from a practical view. Front wheel drive
    pulling the car, huge wheel wells that the drivers had trouble seeing over, the skinny rear
    wheels for reduced drag, all interesting in theory. But, from the onset, the project was plagued
    by parts and structural failures and as likewise mentioned, all played out in front of the media
    which seemed to be invited right into the Nissan tent during test sessions at Sebring last year.

Had it worked as planned, it would have been great. But, there was a fundamental flaw
    in the design and rather than go back to Square-1, evidently they'd rather scratch the
    program. What a pity.

It is easy to look at the history of Le Mans and see manufactures get sucked into going
    for top speeds on the Mulsanne. But, as was pointed out at the time back in June, the
    top speeds this year weren't all that great (nor not nearly as fast as expected), the top
    teams Porsche, Audi and Toyota are making their time the turns where they just seem
    to be on rails and under braking.

So, what does Nissan do with the cars now, crush them? Or, do they sell at Barrett-Jackson
    at Scottsdale?

BHW

11. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Those stupid cars were ridiculous and they should crucify that idiot designer [Ben Bowlby] for trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

12. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    But I thought that WEC was a much better research platform for manufacturers to test and experiment?

A major manufacturer builds a single dud and they are out already?

...and they say that F1 has problems!

13. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Tell us how you really feel!
    When was the last time there was a colossal failure in top tier motorsports like this?

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    WEC is undeniably a better place to bring new concept. F1 only allows conformity.

The problem at Nissan, it seems, was that they didn't do enough research and testing before getting on the track. They went public at least 1 year too early.

Experimenting is better done behind closed doors than in the full glare of publicity.

But 10 out of 10 for trying, IMO.

15. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Blah, blah, blah.

Yet another example of WEC's biggest appeal being nothing more than a marketing ploy.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #16 F1tommy, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few photos from first US public debut last February at the Chicago Auto show. I give them credit for some originality if nothing else. F1 is also a marketing ploy, and a poor use of money in my opinion. Atleast most of the public can relate more to closed wheel cars, especially GT class cars. Show an F1 car on an ad and it looks like the donkey cart that it is.WEC cars are also pretty ugly now and might scare people. The Darth Vador WEC cars have to be some of the ugliest race cars ever made. Go back to 1990's FIA GT1 style racing, and make rules that allow the cars look good again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I wouldn't call Bowlby an idiot, he's designed some very successful race cars (Lola B99/00 and B2K/00 Champ Cars and several iterations of the LMP675 cars, etc) not to mention he was the head of Ganassi's engineering department for years, during which they won 5 Indycar championships, 4 Rolex championships, multiple Indy 500s, Rolex 24s, etc. he was also the guy behind the Laurel Hill train tunnel turned wind tunnel ;)

But yes he has been behind some bizarre and ultimately unsuccessful programs too, namely this and the DeltaWing. There's a chicken and egg argument over whether that was an engineer allowed to run amok until he was in over his head or whether that was people wanting to "prove" an idea that simply wasn't feasible.

DeltaWing and the Lola and Reynard F1 cars come to mind. maybe the first Eagle/Toyota Champ Car too, although I think that was a decent car with a bad engine and not enough development time/budget.

NASCAR Car of Tomorrow, 1st gen Rolex DP and 1st gen IRL Indycars were all pretty awful too but that was more of a case of people writing the rulebook not really understanding race car design.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Nissan has outlined their reason(s) for pulling out of the WEC.

Their reasoning seems a bit strange in that they knew that they had major issues with
    the original GT-R LM and had planned to come back in 2016 with an all-new car.

However, that said, the 2016 version was designed but the construction was not complete
    (sounds as though it hadn't gotten started) and would not be ready in time for pre-season
    testing the season opening event at Silverstone.

Seems as though some curious managerial moves in light of the fact that they knew they
    needed an all-new car for 2016 but they hadn't gotten down to building the car (yet).

In any case, its all moot now.

Nissan reveals why it has withdrawn from the 2016 WEC - WEC news - AUTOSPORT.com

BHW

19. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    How about the McLaren F1 car that was never raced due to unreliability? I believe that was in the mid-2000's.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    As for WEC/Le Mans rules, it seems as though the ACO is committed to keeping prototypes
    at the pointy end of the field.

The clear separation between the P1 and P2 teams is also big with the ACO as well as having
    definitive GTE Pro and GTE Am divisions.

Any mention of bringing in 90's style FIA GT rules is usually summarily dismissed by the ACO.
    There seems to be a real distaste on their part for "Supercars" which always seemed curious
    but remembering back when Risi wanted to bring in the Maserati MC-12 to ALMS and how
    the whole thing nearly threw the ACO/ALMS deal off the rails, there doesn't seem to be any
    movement at Le Mans to this end even though this sort of move would have likely saved
    GT-1.

The closest we may get to seeing FIA GT type cars currently is the SRO run Blancpain series
    which also ran the FIA GT series.

Not sure why the reason is for the "Supercar" phobia at Le Mans but that door certainly does seem shut tight.

BHW

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Agreed.

Caustic comments aside, Bowlby is a very good and experienced designer with a portfolio full of successful designs. It's the execution that sucked...

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I remember the FORD GT in 1964 that was heading for total failure too.
    FORD attack on Le Mans was part of the "Total Performance" mantra, with no money spared and the best engineers from both sides of the Atlantic to beat and destroy the pesky Italians and their Ferraris.

At the Le Mans test in April, the FORD cars were unstable and flying off the road. Schlesser was almost killed on the Hunaudiers trying to tame the beast. FAV tester Roy Salvadori scared himself to death in private testing in England; he resigned and returned his pay cheque in disgust. The head gaskets kept blowing, the gearboxes lasted a few hours and the GT was a dog to drive.

At Le Mans, even after some aerodynamic revisions, the cars were a handfull to drive. Phill Hill (with Bruce McLaren) lead briefly before the gearbox packed up. The Ginther-Gregory car blew yet another head gasket, whilst the Schesser-Attwood car caught fire.

It was a total disaster for FORD, and not looking good for the future. Some reorganisation followed, Eric Broadley was sacked. John Wyer put on gardening leave and Shelby got involved. The US side of Ford resented the UK staff, etc...1965 wasn't better with another complete debacle. 7 cars at the start; none finished !!!
    I remember this time. FORD $ mult millions effort seemed doomed ...

We know what followed: 4 Le Mans wins, etc...

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Very good analysis of the situation, I thought.

Maybe the ACO seems to favour high-tec hybrid LMP1at the exclusion of Supercars because they don't want a repeat of the Porsche 911GT1, or Dauer-Porsche and McLaren F1 victories, where state-of-the-art prototypes were defeated by GT Supercars of the time.

To me both should compete, but the ACO prefers the LMP1 to win, hence favourable regulations for them, and restrictions imposed on GT cars. As for Supercars, they are just not admitted. Bugatti Veyron, LA Ferrari, Koenigswegg, Porsche 918 should have been allowed in the WEC; the ACO completely excluded them.

As for the LMP2, the ACO has turned that category into an "Amateurs only" specs series.

It's a pity that LMP1 cars don't have more races in Europe though.

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Good analysis and comparison.

Let's not forget that Ken Miles was killed in a GT40 while testing at Riverside. Ford and
    Shelby ran up a rather long list of killed or seriously injured drivers during the GT40 era.

And, its true, it usually takes two or three years for a new car to become competitive in
    sports car racing. There are always exceptions of course but the Nissan was so outside
    the box even if Nissan put Ford-type money at it, the thing likely never would have
    done well.

Ford by comparison was throwing money at the GT40 projects to the point where there
    was little to no accountability and Ford's ROI resulted in profound financial losses.

I was reminded earlier today about the strange appearance of the original Nissan GTP ZX
    Turbo. That car was by no means a beauty and at first a debacle but Nissan stuck with
    the project and it became the dominant car of the late 80s/early 90s GTP era to the
    point where even Porsche 962s were taking their styling cues from the Nissan.

Different times these days though.

BHW