New NASCAR Rules | FerrariChat

New NASCAR Rules

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, NASCAR has made a few moves including adding the "Chase" format to Xfinity (NE: Comcast) and Trucks.

But, this is what really caught my attention this morning. NASCAR Trucks will now have
    mandatory cautions every twenty minutes. So, now instead of a caution every 6-8 minutes,
    there will be a clock counting down to a caution.

How this make any sense is beyond logic.

I'm sure there will be plenty more head scratching rules to come during 2016...

NASCAR introduces 20-minute Caution Clock to Truck Series - NASCAR news - AUTOSPORT.com

BHW

2. Mandatory cautions huh? Absolutely RIDICULOUS if you ask me! Talk about rigging a race. Why not just call it an HPDE? A couple of tube frame chassis with eight cylinders driving 20 minute lapping sessions. First one to "cross the line" during the final lapping session is the "winner."

Stupid is as stupid does...

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Crazy stuff I tell ya.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    just make all races a 10 lap shootout and be done with it.

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sounds like it will be just a series of demolition derbies/bumper truck races instead of a real race that includes setup and attrition. Also I think it will increase the cost to the teams, regarding repair damage, and even a potential win and race finish placement which effects championship points.

6. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I think the Nascar "Winston Cup" ( I know, I know) series has mandated a "Debris Caution" for the final ten laps of every race so it looks like a close finish! In addition, they've also mandated the "Lucky Dog" to encompass all cars that are a lap down and not just the lead car a lap down. Finally, the winner of each race is required to mention all 1030 of his sponsors during the post race celebra......oh wait, they already do that! :)

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I needed a good laugh, thanks.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Stand by for when Brian France stands before the media during Speed Weeks
    and announces that there will be no rules changes (or tweaking) for NASCAR
    in 2016.

And then, two days later, literally announce rules changes.

Are we putting odds on this?

BHW

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For the love of all that is holy, please do not let these clowns take over sports car racing.

Oh wait.

****!

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I was thinking of going to the truck race this year, guess not.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah...

That's whats killing it for me too.

BHW

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    On this deal, the only thing I can figure is that at "Truck" races, the crowds are so small
    and TV audience so minuscule that the only way that they can keep their sponsors happy
    is to guarantee 10 minute blocks of advertising every 20 minutes.

Either that or their audience's attention span is so short that they need to go get another
    Mountain Dew every 20 minutes just to stay awake. Who knows?

The NASCAR nonsense never ends.

BHW

13. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    And they wonder why their ratings are declining?? I'm curious to see the amount paid for the rights to broadcast Nascrap the next time the contract is up for bids!

14. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Well this was the best idea Nascar had amongst some of the others like:

Spin the truck and however it points to, that person wins even if they aren't a Nascar series driver.

Drivers must take turns every race to cause either a big wreck (gold) ) or 2 medium wrecks (silver) or a combo of 3 small wrecks (bronze).

BOP adjustments, the more BOOs that a driver gets from fans, the bigger the restrictions on their car up to a maximum of running with only 3 wheels.

There's the Lucky Dog but now there's the Seeing Eye Dog where any driver breaking away from the pack gets called in during caution to receive a blind fold and an accompanying golden retriever that knows its way around the speedway.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

too late...sadly much too late.

16. ferraripete

Andrew,

save your money for expensive polish and leather treatment for that swanky jaguar of yours;)

don't give nascar one red cent!!!!

17. ferraripete

nicely played...lol.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Somewhere deep in the dark fake wood paneled walls in Daytonner, someone be readin this
    and thinkin, "Man, we need this guy in our competition department".

Seeing Eye Dog rule is great as long as it doesn't spot a squirrel or rabbit during the
    race.

BHW

19. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    LOL Didn't Purina sponsor an entry years ago?

20. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    At least you'll know when to go to the rest room. It will be easier to gauge your beer intake.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #21 BartonWorkman, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Since the inception of NASCAR "Trucks", has this concept ever really caught on?

From the few times I've run across it on TV, it looks as though they play to virtually empty
    grandstands and would have to imagine that the TV ratings are similarly paltry.

With no one watching in the grandstands or at home, what is the point exactly? Are
    the manufactures gaining any technical breakthroughs by participating in this series? Are
    they bringing along a crop of new talent destined for Cup? What is to be gained?

Seems to me, back around 1997, NASCAR got the big idea to put on a "Truck" race at
    Homestead on the same weekend as the 12 Hours of Sebring. Evidently, the notion developed
    deep in the dark fake wood paneled walls in Daytonner was that fans could't resist going to see
    these "Trucks" going roundy-round and they'd gladly give up going to Sebring for the opportunity
    to attend this little deal in Homestead.

Of course, that little dalliance fell flat on its face as Sebring *****-slapped Homestead with,
    you know, more record crowds while a smattering of fans attended Homestead, which was
    little more than NASCAR/ISC giving Andy Evans (a vocal ISC critic) a poke in the eye.

If manufactures are going to market trucks, it would seem as though the place to do that
    would be off-road events like Dakar, Baja 1000 or these stadium events as it shows off some
    real technology is a real world environment.

Either NASCAR is using "Trucks" as a foil to just get more air time or there is just such a
    lack of real thinking going on in Daytonner that they don't know what else to do with
    themselves. My guess is probably a bit of both.

BHW

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well there is a saying that this is a truck nation so I think NASCAR was playing to that crowd as I'm sure you know. I know you would not catch my father owning and driving anything but a truck and my brother is the same way (unless he steals the keys away from his wife to her 2008 424/425 Challenger SRT8 Limited Edition).

I could not agree with you more than the stands are virtually empty at the truck races so this new rule is absurd at best. When I do watch the occasional truck race I usually tell myself that I need to watch more because there is a lot of bumping and grinding and those drivers are hungry, some have never made "the show" although they deserved it.

Oh crap seeing that this weekend is Daytona maybe all three NASCAR series could run a 24hr race at Daytona all together!

23. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I'm fixin' ta need me some of them thar good yar tares before ai do much else. Ai also am needin' to shop meself some comfy floor mats as mine didn't have none.