Pirelli World Challenge 2016 @ COTA | FerrariChat

Pirelli World Challenge 2016 @ COTA

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by cockrill, Jan 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I'm planning on going to the PWC at COTA (3/4 - 3/6) this year. I've been to COTA for all of the F1 races, but don't know what to expect for PWC and can't find a race schedule online. Can someone who went to PWC at COTA last year please help me with some questions?

Are the days "action packed" throughout Saturday and Sunday? i.e., is it one race after another (for each class) with small breaks between the race? The reason I ask this is because I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my 10 year old son. I love motoracing and the COTA circuit and can sit in the grandstand all day just enjoying being outside, but my son is less tolerant of downtime.

Are all grandstands open? Can I move from the Turn 1 grandstand (for the start of the race) to Turn 11/15, etc.?

Are concessions open throughout the circuit or only at the amphitheater area? i.e., will I need to stash food/drinks in my car in the parking lot?

I'm thinking about driving my Mondial for the "parade lap experience." Does anyone know what day this is on? (I think that I saw somewhere that the parade laps were on Friday, which would prevent me from participating, but I don't know if that was for this year or last year.)

If I only made it one day, would you recommend Saturday or Sunday? (Again, thinking that two days may be too much for my son.)

Thanks for any insight anyone can give!

2. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    I was there in 2015 for the PWC weekend.

There was always something going on on track. This year, there was supposed to be an endurance race with some teams from Europe and some PWC entrants, but it was just canceled this morning. It's probably too late for them to schedule another group in those time slots, so there might be a little more downtime than last year.. but it's not such a bad thing as the paddock is completely and 100% open to everyone. You can walk around and show your son the garages and cars, etc. If there's any drivers around just walk up and introduce yourself, they'll be more than happy to talk to you and your son.

I can't recommend Saturday or Sunday without seeing the schedule, but Saturday might have more action. I'm sure the PWC GT cars will be racing Sunday as well as Saturday -- but some of the smaller groups might be done on Saturday and parked on Sunday. Saturday would be a safer bet if you have to decide now.

edit: just found the schedule posted on the PWC website. it hasn't been updated with a replacement for the Endurance race, but it has everything else for each day: http://www.world-challenge.com/images/events/Copy-of-Copy-of-2016-COTA-Schedule-final-v2.pdf
    -mike

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's a bummer about the endurance race :(

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Thanks, Mike! That's exactly what I needed to know.

5. t squared

t squared Rookie

Aug 14, 2006
    The "back half" of the track was closed to spectators last year. I found out the hard way after walking from the footbridge at Turn 3, and right past a pair of security people who said nothing to me, all the way down to Turn 11. After about 15 minutes at Turn 11, a guy in a truck arrived on the "service path" (or whatever you call the paved path that the corner workers/support staff use) and told me, politely enough, that that area was closed to the public.

So I had to trudge all the way back. Oh well, the exercise was good.

One thing that surprised me was the lack of manufacturer support in the paddock regarding fan activities. Maybe I missed something, but I only saw Cadillac and Nissan with any real presence. Just something to consider for your son. Compared to the Conti series, the PWC seems much more focused on the team participants than the fans...and that's fine, it was just different than what I expected.

The racing was really good, and since a cold rain dominated much of the weekend, it was nice to be able to sit in the main grandstands out of the rain, and to be able to watch the racing on the back part of the track on the monitors.

6. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If you're only gonna go one day, then Saturday is the day, imho. COTA finally has a revised schedule up after the SRO Intercontinental GT Challenge cancellation. I'm really disappointed about that cancellation, btw. I was really looking forward to that race, & absence puts a big dent in the weekend.

Schedule - Circuit of the Americas

Friday: 5 practices, 1 qualy, 1 race
    Saturday: 3 Q, 3 races
    Sunday: 2 races.

Not a lot happening Sunday copmpared to the other 2 days. I'll probably skip Sunday completely.

.and yes, all the permanent grandstands will be open (Main, T15, and T1).

7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah that's a helluva a walk to make only to be told to turn around & it sucks when they close that area off. That's most of the best parts of the track they're excluding the fans from. They don't want to pay to staff those areas, but they'll gladly take your money & not mention it.

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I'd be livid if I got there and the whole facility was not open. Their management doesn't have a good record for accommodating people - racer's or fans.