Fuel economy makes racing relevant. In an oil glut? | FerrariChat

Fuel economy makes racing relevant. In an oil glut?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Saw this article @ TOP GEAR. They stated fuel economy makes racing relevant, great but we're in an oil glut, no need to care about MPG.
    Showdown: Porsche's WEC racer vs Merc's W06 F1 car | Top Gear

Racing is relevant cus it's cool & sexy. Nobody has ever asked me how much MPG my DP gets LOL

James Hunt, Mario, Enzo, Colin, Bruce, etc never gave a damn about MPG

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I would agree with you - must be a creative way for manufacturers to justify participating! :D

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Marketing/Politics.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Many point to the FIA Group C series of the 1980s as one of the greatest eras of
    sports car racing history. Group C participating manufactures included Porsche,
    Lancia (with Ferrari engines), Jaguar, Aston Martin, Toyota, Nissan and Peugeot
    (sorry if I've forgotten any), so this was a formula which caught on with relevant
    manufactures.

Group C was very much a fuel economy formula which ushered in technology such
    as electronic controlled fuel injection systems, computer ECUs monitoring all things
    from fuel flow to brake temperatures, you know, things that are taken for granted
    on today's road going cars.

The current era of WEC LMP-1 racing has raised those stakes by 100 fold with hybrid
    technology creating over 1000BHP while running to strict fuel mileage regulations. The
    technology which Audi, Porsche and Toyota are gaining from this era will be immeasurable
    for their road going divisions.

Hunt, Mario, Enzo, Colin, Bruce, etc. may not have had to drive to their fuel meters
    (do we really know that?) but they also raced in an era when drivers were routinely being
    killed on a weekly basis.

Things change over the course of forty or fifty years.

Tom Kristensen (nine overall wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and six overall wins at the
    12 Hours of Sebring) will be honored with his induction into the Sebring Hall of Fame next
    Friday at the Chateau Elan. I'd by happy to set up an introduction where ideas of turning
    back the clock on racing to the 1960s may be brought up, I'm sure he'll have an interesting
    view on this.

BHW

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Absolutely.

Racing forces the development of more efficient engines, which are very relevant when the whole planet needs to cut down pollution.

The time of wasting energy resources and spewing toxic fumes is over.

People have to start being responsible for their environment.

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    If people looking to ban racing buy this, I'm all for it, but it must be very difficult to say with a straight face.