Risi Competizione 2016 Series Updates, IMSA and Le Mans | FerrariChat

Risi Competizione 2016 Series Updates, IMSA and Le Mans

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by apexdc, Mar 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #1 apexdc, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

Here is a great report about Sebring from Rick Mayer our race engineer:

(Houston, Texas, March 10, 2016)...Rick Mayer, race engineer of the Risi Competizione No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM team, takes a look ahead at this year's 12 Hours of Sebring, March 19, 2016, at the historic Sebring International Raceway.

Pilots of the Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 for the 64th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida include Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy), Toni Vilander (Finland) and Sebring rookie Davide Rigon (Italy).

General: We have a field of 49 cars for this year's 12 Hours of Sebring, down slightly from 2015. It's a large number of cars for the bumpy 3.74 mile 17-turn track. Pit boxes will again be small and traffic nearly constant. The high amateur content and car count in the GTD and PC fields will again make patience pay in the race. The GT3 cars will be very fast on the straights and very difficult to pass cleanly, a big concern.

GTLM Competition: There are NO weak cars, manufacturers, drivers or teams in GTLM this year. The No. 4 Corvette won Daytona, in a convincing fashion, as both Corvettes were super quick, while stretching their fuel windows in the final stints, but they showed their BoP (Balance of Performance) advantage and they shouldn't be as dominate at Sebring. All the GTLM manufacturers: Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, Corvette and Ford, will have super-competitive cars and second to none driver lineups. You can do this race with two drivers but all will have at least three on their entry list. We won't know the comparative inter-class pace until the race, that is if anyone shows true pace. No one is showing true all-out pace from fear that IMSA will BoP any advantage away. The difference between proper setup work and an inherent performance advantage is difficult to separate. Unfortunately IMSA's first three race tracks are anomalies; Daytona, Sebring, and Long Beach. From IMSA's Sebring Test you would have to give the BMWs, followed by Porsches, a slight advantage at Sebring. But Corvette didn't attend the recent Sebring test. We don't know their relative pace, nor does IMSA. You can't compare performance from different test days at Sebring, the track changes too much. The Fords were very consistent with good pace; they received a boost increase in the latest BoP to further increase their top speed, which they dominated in GTLM at the test. The Risi Ferrari would appear good at the test, based on a small number of quick lap times, but is compromised on top speed and straight-line performance with the BoP, relative to all other GTLMs. This straight-line speed and HP disadvantage will carry through Sebring, as no increase was given to the F488 GTLM. The Ferrari has typically been fast here with a good finishing record, but is a long shot this year with the current BoP having it down on power.

The track: Sebring is a historic track hosting the longest running endurance race in North America; it's also one of the toughest tracks to get the setup right. You're always chasing the setup, as the track changes throughout the week. It's super bumpy in sections, which means you want to go in a softer setup direction. There are numerous near-threshold braking zones that require good platform support and two sections where change of direction is important, which doesn't suit a soft setup. So it's a conundrum. You need very good braking here and that's a main area for gains, and the brakes need to be consistent and last 12 hours. The drivers need confidence in Turn 1 and Turn 17 on the bumps and a good platform in Turns 3-4 and Turns 15-16 for the change of direction. Good power down out of Turns 5, 7, 10, 13 and 16 aids in a quick lap, as they all lead on to relatively long straights. You reach over 140 Mph five times a lap here so power is very important in lap time.

The setup: Sebring is a compromise. You need dampers that support the car but are compliant, with enough high speed damping to settle and control the car through the bumps. Too much low speed damping upsets the car on the bumps but not enough and you lose platform support/control. Ride heights are always higher than the legal minimum to keep the car from bottoming, mainly in Turn 17 (left side) and the exit of Turn 1 (right side). The typical GTLM Ferrari setup direction is moderate springs with anti-roll bars on the soft side. GT cars, in general, struggle with rear stability under braking at turn-in, and this is historically the worst track for this tendency. A soft setup tends to aggravate this tendency. The Ferrari 488 is no exception. Good power down is important with the many long straights; most are not actually 'straight' but are long full throttle sections. If you get the rear stable, the tendency for off-brake mid-corner understeer becomes the next problem, which delays the ability to go to power. Sebring is bumpy. Sebring is low frequency large amplitude bumps (inputs), just the opposite of a track like Long Beach which is more high frequency low amplitude.

The race: The last several years have seen the end to the classic endurance race strategy, where you'd save the car to make it to the end. The cars are all so reliable now that long races are just long full-on sprint races. The safety car wave-by rules are intact from Daytona, which should again keep the class fights competitive to the end, as this race will likely be caution filled. Pit boxes will again be small and crowded. This track doesn't have the best runoff area and with the large car count and patience on the track will be very important. You have to finish strong to win and penalties for avoidable contact are steep; you'll go down a lap easy in the penalty box. The new GTDs (GT3 based cars) have ABS (allowed by the rules) and have so much power they will be very difficult to pass here. The GTLM drivers will have to take some risk to get by a lot of the GTDs.

This is my personal favorite track and it's been a good track for Risi Competizione with numerous podiums and three GT class wins. Let's just hope our series of bad luck in recent long races comes to an end.

Tune-In Information:
    The 12 Hours of Sebring race is available live in the U.S. on March 19, on Fox Sports 1 and on the FOX Sports GO! mobile app beginning at 10:30 a.m. EST and on Fox Sports 2 beginning at 12:00 p.m. and again on Fox Sports 2 at 10:00 p.m. EST. The International fans can watch the race stream live with IMSA Radio commentary at IMSA.com. A highlight broadcast of the 12 Hours of Sebring is available tape delayed on FOX Sports 1 on March 27 at 12:30 p.m. ET.

Some great Regis Lefebure photos below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Daytona Beach, Florida (March 18, 2016)...Toni Vilander qualified the No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTE in the eighth position on the GTLM class grid for this Saturday's 64th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida endurance race, March 19, 2016.

His best time of 1:59.020, with an average speed of 113.124 mph, was clocked on the fifth lap during 87 degree F ambient and 105 degree F track temperatures in Friday's qualifying session. The very competitive GTLM pole was set by Bill Auberlen in the No. 25 BMW with a time of 1:58.402 and a speed of 113.714 mph.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/23e8d87d301/ae07542e-89a9-4532-9cef-19cc0ae7e7c5.jpg

Rick Mayer, Risi Competizione Race Engineer:
    "Qualifying certainly didn't go as planned. We had a better car than that. We run a softer setup, which races well, but it struggles with the Continental Tire Challenge rubber when they have a long race before we qualify. The soft setup seems to not clean their rubber off our Michelins. Once the track is cleaned up and softer race rubber put down we'll be much better and the handling we had in the final practice should be back.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/23e8d87d301/3220f764-ba16-4845-9e17-046c283aedee.jpg

"We like Sebring and I like Sebring as well. We've done well here in the past and Ferrari has been good. Obviously the rules are not in our favor currently. We will do what we can. We came back with basically the same set up we had at the Test, which was good. It's been good up to now. We should be better in the race."

http://files.ctctcdn.com/23e8d87d301/6ce1a829-9f3e-4103-bb6e-6c85c6376ffe.jpg

Toni Vilander, driver, No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM:
    "I found the track relatively much different to practice, especially compared to this morning. I just never got a hold of the race car and especially the tires. There was just no grip from the rear. We need to think about this for the race. The balance was similar to this morning but everything just got that much worse that I couldn't control that race car anymore. We will work with Rick (Mayer, Risi Competizione Race Engineer) a bit and see which direction to go for the warm up and the race. It's a bit disappointing because we saw good pace but in qualifying we had a chance but were just a bit outside the window and it was too much."

Vilander's co-drivers to share the cockpit of the No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM for the once-around-the-clock Florida enduro and round two of the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship will be fellow Ferrari factory drivers Giancarlo Fisichella and Davide Rigon. The Risi team is hoping to add to their three victories at the Sebring, Florida circuit.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/23e8d87d301/9030a159-afcf-4665-8093-e550d560d19e.jpg

A 20-minute warm up session at 8:00 a.m. EDT will commence prior to the 12-hour race, which starts at 10:40 a.m. EDT on Saturday, March 19. Live timing and scoring is available for all on-track sessions at IMSA.com and the IMSA Smartphone app.

Tune-In Information:
    The 64th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida live broadcast coverage gets underway at 10:30 a.m. EDT on FS1 (FOX Sports 1) and the FOX Sports GO app. Television coverage shifts to FS2 (FOX Sports 2) from Noon to 7:00 p.m.; continues on IMSA.com and the IMSA mobile app from 7:00-10 p.m., and concludes on FS2 from 10:00-11:00 p.m., including the checkered flag and winners interviews. A live international broadcast stream is available on IMSA.tv and IMSA mobile app.
    For more information, please contact us or go to Risi Competizione | a Experienced, Consistent, Ferrari Major Race Winner.

3. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That 488 looks beautiful. I thought the 458 you had at Willow was gorgeous.
    Good luck this weekend.

4. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Hi Tom,

You had the yellow 360 right? I forgot to take some pix of your car, but would love to see a few if you have them convenient. [email protected]

Sorry, I was in the grey Elise parked by the snack bar, not a 458, but they are great cars. Still love yours!

5. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #5 apexdc, Mar 20, 2016
    RISI COMPETIZIONE POST-RACE REPORT - 12 HOURS OF SEBRING

Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM No. 62: Giancarlo Fisichella (ITA)
    Toni Vilander (FIN)
    Davide Rigon (ITA)

Sebring, Florida (March 19, 2016)...The Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida race always presents a challenge to drivers and teams as they compete hard and fast during the once-around-the-clock endurance race. The 64th Annual running of this historic Sebring classic was no different, and even added a new element, with a two hour and 15 minute red flag due to heavy rain and lightning.

The No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM was able to survive the caution-filled race, which included 14 caution flags and a total of 235 laps over the remaining nine hours and 45 minutes of the 12-hour timeframe. Risi drivers Toni Vilander, Giancarlo Fisichella and Davide Rigon finished fourth in the GTLM class and 14th overall.

Racing trouble free was key to staying in the race, and the Risi team managed a lack of issues, save for a few bumps from being tapped on-track under intense racing conditions, and held their reputation of excellent pit stops.

Although the Risi team was not quite able to notch another Ferrari victory 60 years after the marque's first Sebring win or add a fourth victory to their previous Sebring wins, finishing both the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 24 Hours of Daytona gives the team a great deal of pride. Having received delivery of their new Ferrari 488 GTLM days prior to the Rolex 24 race in January, completing 36 hours of endurance racing is an accomplishment not many teams can claim, especially with a brand new race car.

Risi Competizione did make a podium visit when they won their first DEKRA Green Challenge Award of the season at today's 12 Hours of Sebring. The award is determined through green racing protocols established by the United States Department of Energy, Environmental Protection Agency and the Society of Automotive Engineers International as part of their alliance with IMSA. In 2015 the Risi team won the DEKRA award four times including the 12 Hours of Sebring, Long Beach, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and Road America.

Regarding the DEKRA Award:
    "One of the advantages of the new Ferrari 488 is it's probably the most efficient car in the field. Obviously IMSA thinks so because they gave us the smallest capacity. With that, typically if we do well we will win the DEKRA Green Challenge Award. We won it four times last year and hopefully we'll win it a lot more times this year."
    Regarding the race:
    "Well, it was quite an interesting and unique Sebring 12 hour with the changing conditions. I wish we 'guessed' better on some tire and pressure choices, but in the end a lot of teams 'guessed' -- good sometimes and bad others, just as we did. We just didn't know how much or how long it was going to rain at each occurrence. I think we went to slicks at the right time in the end... But with the number of yellows we had, it was just a matter of staying on the lead lap. Even guys who made some unlucky choices, like the Corvettes, the No. 4 car won the race and they pitted multiple times changing tires from rains to slicks and back, you just never know how it will play out. I wish we had finished better but it was a better result than we thought we could do with the current BoP (Balance of Performance), but it made a hard, long event out of it for sure. Luck played a large part in this event. Hopefully we'll be better at Long Beach."

/Users/duczupa/Documents/Motorsports etc./Risi Competizione/Images:photos/ Race Photos/2 Sebring test:Race 2016/bc143564-6714-47da-af0e-a2fc01318beb.jpg

Risi Competizione's Dave Sims accepts the DEKRA Green Challenge from DEKRA's Don Nicholson

"Today's race was a really solid job. There are those few things that affect our racing a lot; with the rhythm of racing we can do a decent lap time on our own, go through the traffic and be able to overtake but we need to raise the level really high. We're lacking some speed. Hopefully it will change soon. Apart from that the team did a really good job, as always. We had really good pit stops and good spirit in the team and I need to thank Giancarlo and Davide for a really great effort and off to the next one at Long Beach."

Giancarlo Fisichella, driver, No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM:
    "Today's race had lots of problems, lots of cautions. We had some issue on the dashboard and then on my last stint I picked up some oil on my windscreen. The windscreen was very dirty and the wiper wasn't working well, but I did my best and I left the car to Davide. We ended up fourth, which is not bad. Obviously it would have been good to get on the podium, but I think the BoP is not great. We need something more because other people are quicker than us, especially on the straight."

/Users/duczupa/Documents/Motorsports etc./Risi Competizione/Images:photos/ Race Photos/2 Sebring test:Race 2016/2e294a54-f9ac-44ec-90d0-34a342b0bf1d.jpg

Giancarlo Fisichella waits his turn to drive the Ferrari 488 GTLM

Davide Rigon, driver, No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM:
    "My first stint was very good in the rain with the rain tires. The car balance was good. We just wanted to have a good car for the end of the race and we were pretty quick in the moderate rain conditions. For my last two hours we decided to keep the tires a bit longer to avoid a longer pit stop, and especially in the end when we had a restart. It was difficult to get the grip, especially in the front, and it looks like the other competitors showed they had a bit more power in the end of the race. I tried to keep my line but they overtook me, especially the BMW; they just drove by me on the straight.

I did my best. On braking our car was good but several drivers choose some risky moves so we had some contact, especially in the final laps. I was side-by-side with a Ford and we touched, I could not avoid the contact.

Fourth place is not so bad for the points and I'm happy for the team. The Risi crew did a great job with the pits stop with not one mistake, good strategy, thanks to our engineers and mechanics and to Giuseppe (Risi), who puts a lot of faith in his team and drivers. I was really hoping for the podium so I am bit disappointed."

The next race on the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship schedule is Round 3 at the Grand Prix of Long Beach, April 15-16, in Long Beach, California.

6. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #6 apexdc, Apr 11, 2016
    2016 LONG BEACH - GTLM PREVIEW
    A Race Engineer's Perspective

(Houston, Texas, April 8, 2016)...
    Rick Mayer, race engineer of the Risi Competizione No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM team, takes a look ahead at this year's Long Beach sprint race, April 16, 2016, at the Long Beach street circuit.

General:
    The Long Beach entry list has 25 cars, including 10 very competitive GTLM entries from five manufacturers. This is a three class race; GTLM, PC (LMPC) and P. This will be the largest field we've had here since American Le Mans Series (ALMS), with the addition of the LMPCs this year. The addition of the Pro-Am LMPC class will make this short 100-minute race much more difficult for all the GTLM cars than recent years when it was just P cars and GTLMs.

GTLM Competition:
    The BMWs won here last year; they are always quick at Long Beach. This year the entire GTLM field has the 2016 upgraded aero, including three completely new cars (Ferrari, BMW and Ford), which coincidentally are all turbo charged, as the rule excluding turbo charged engines was changed for 2016. The Balance of Performance (BoP) keeps evolving, trying to sort out what's an unfair BoP advantage, what's a good setup and who is not showing true pace (sandbagging). It is not an easy puzzle for IMSA to unscramble. The first three tracks of the season are all anomalies and difficult from which to adjust BoP. Daytona is all about banking speed, Sebring is super bumpy and hard to have a good setup for all the conditions and Long Beach is a true street track with unique setup requirements that relate to no other tracks. Sebring was a difficult race to gauge BoP, as the conditions were ever changing. For sure the F488 GTLM doesn't have the straight-line performance of the others. That will handicap the F488 GTLMs at Long Beach. The BMWs 'showed' superior straight-line performance at Sebring and showed quick general pace. The BMWs got a small boost reduction for Long Beach but they should still be the quickest. The Corvettes showed they still have some performance in hand with dominant final stints and the Fords were quick when needed. The Porsches were super-fast in the wet and held their own in the dry. You have to give the BMWs the edge at Long Beach closely followed closely by the Corvettes. Currently the Ferrari, Ford and Porsches are all in a similar window of performance.

The track:
    The entire Long Beach 1.97 mile, 11-turn, street circuit is passenger- car-filled most of the year. Cars, trucks and busses idle at the traffic lights and occasionally drop fluid (oil, fuel and engine coolant) creating a low grip surface. The crowning of the road leads to some off-camber corners upsetting the balance typically mid-corner out. The track is bumpy, in a washboard fashion, quite different than Sebring. The track will be really dirty, and cold, for our 'track cleaning' 7:40 a.m. two-hour first session. Like most temporary street circuits, grip changes with each session and you really only start seeing a partial picture of what the car is doing at the end of the two hour session, after the track has cleaned up and some rubber has gone down on the surface. This track's tendency is to move toward under-steer for the race. How much is the question? The front straight is slightly curved but is full throttle with a very high top speed. A good exit off the 40 mph hairpin is essential for overtaking into Turn 1. There are very few passing opportunities here. Qualifying position is super important as is great pit work.

The setup:
    All the GTLM competitors, except Ford, have been here before, but not all with their current spec or model of car. So some starting setups may suffer. The car needs good power down, particularly off the hairpin, to either pass in braking into Turn 1 or to keep from getting passed. All the corners are slow (mainly first or second gear) so it's brake, turn-in and back to full throttle quickly. While some apex curbs are usable, some you have to stay off of, as they are large (huge) bolted down temporary curbs. The car needs some change of direction stability in the last section leading up to the hairpin, and around the fountain, so you can't run too soft of a setup. You need good brakes but you don't trail brake into the corners here as much as other race tracks so rear stability under braking is not 'as big' a concern. Braking zones are bumpy (washboard) further complicating the setup. Reducing the low speed under-steer coming off the brake to the apex and having good traction and corner exit (without a lot of understeer) are keys to quick laps as all the corners are essentially short duration. You always run maximum downforce here even though it's tempting to try and achieve a higher front straight top speed by trimming aero.

The race: Is only 100 minutes. There is no minimum driver time in the Pro classes; if there's any caution periods everyone will likely change drivers. One driver could essentially do the entire race. The fuel will be tight as the fuel tanks are small, we cannot run much more than half a race on a full tank of VP E20 fuel. The first stint will be shorter due to fuel used for the reconnaissance lap and the 2 pace laps. A timed fuel fill and a driver's change will be done on the one and only stop. That's if it's green all the way, and if that's the strategy you choose. The biggest change from recent Long Beach races is the addition of the Pro-Am content LMPCs; first time since 2013. This will make the early stages of the race extremely difficult. All the Am LMPC drivers will likely qualify and start the race, as you want your Pro's in at the end. The start will put slower Am driven PCs ahead of faster all Pro GTLMs, due to the IMSA split starts. Once the GTLMs get up to the back end of the LMPCs the problems will start. It will be very difficult for GTLMs to pass an Am driven LMPC car. If IMSA staggers the starts with a long enough interval, the GTLMs might not encounter the LMPCs until late in the first stint. Any early cautions would aggravate this situation significantly. If managed correctly, the two car GTLM teams could have an advantage by being able to split their strategies, in yellow situations or even under a full green flag race. They can hedge their bets, when the strategy call isn't obvious.

The Ferrari should be quick here; Risi Competizione has won this race in class in years past and fared well last year, finishing second. We need a good, solid and clean run, and a little luck, to hopefully start a podium streak this year.

Tune-In Information:
    The BUBBA Burger Sports Car Grand Prix race is available live in the U.S. on April 16, on Fox Sports 2 and on the FOX Sports GO! mobile app at 7:00 p.m. EST/4:00 p.m. PDT and on Fox Sports 1 at 11:00 p.m. EDT/8:00 p.m. EDT. The International fans can watch the race stream live with IMSA Radio commentary at IMSA.com.

7. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #7 apexdc, Apr 18, 2016
    Long Beach, California (April 16, 2016)...

The No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM team finally captured their first podium of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship in today's BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix at the Long Beach street circuit. Their third-place finish was the inaugural GTLM class podium for the brand new Ferrari 488.

After a sixth place finish at the 24 Hours of Daytona and a fourth place finish at the 12 Hours of Sebring, the team was eager to finish each lap and capture a podium this season, while continuing to prove the reliability of the new Prancing Horse model.

Giancarlo Fisichella was the Long Beach street race qualifying driver and started on the grid from the seventh class position. He drove 31 of the eventual 72 laps before pitting while in third place for tires, fuel and drive change to Toni Vilander after 43 minutes of the 100-minute race.

A full course caution was thrown shortly thereafter for one of several on-track spins by multiple race competitors. The No. 62 Risi Ferrari stayed in the Top 5 for the remainder of the race and was gifted the podium when the two leading GTLM cars (Corvette and BMW) collided on track. Vilander moved up to third with two laps to go and stayed there through the checkered flag.

Today's podium was the sixth in 11 attempts for the Risi Competizione team and backs up their second place finish last year in the Ferrari 458. Vilander previously drove to the first podium (third) of the then new Ferrari 458 model in 2011 with Risi Competizione at this same Long Beach street circuit.

"That was quite a crazy race. Neither Ferrari had the pace to compete for the win, but we stayed clean and stayed out of trouble. We had a good stop and ended up third. We'll take that and move on to Laguna."

"It was a really difficult race. We are a little bit in a class of our own. The team did an awesome job today. The car felt quite good to drive but we just don't have any speed or any power. I had our competitors in front of me and they pulled me five car lengths on the front straight. It's hard to gain that back, but it was good to get third place. We will keep working and we keep improving but we need something more as well. Today we were a little bit lucky with the accidents and hits the others had. I had some slight issues towards the end of the race but I'm really happy for Giancarlo, me and the whole team to finish on the podium."

8. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Looks like we will be on the same power at Laguna that we had at Long Beach. Not sure when IMSA will be adjusting power. BMW's still have LOTS!

We are required to run almost 200 less than the street car. Pretty incredible. Virtually every car in GTLM is under some sort of restriction.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If I could change one thing about GTLM I'd give them the same power as the road car variants. of course then they'd be tripping over the prototypes ;)

10. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    This is just my personal opinion, as well, but I fully agree. The 488 is rated at 670 for the street and the race motor is probably 450-475 at most. But imagine that car with a real race motor! 850 or so would destroy the IMSA prototypes. So it gets complicated.

It is not dissimilar to the problem Porsche has where they can't let the Boxter/Cayman platform be faster than the 911 format.

11. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #11 apexdc, Apr 27, 2016
    I always look forward to these reports by our Race Engineer Rick Mayer prior to each race. Here is the one for Laguna.

A Race Engineer's Perspective

(Houston, Texas, April 25, 2016)...

Rick Mayer, race engineer of the Risi Competizione No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM team, takes a look ahead at this year's Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca sprint race, May 1, 2016, at the beautiful Monterey, California circuit.

Pilots of the Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 for the Continental Tire Grand Prix Powered by Mazda two hour race are Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) and Toni Vilander (Finland).

General:
    Laguna Seca is a 2.24-mile long permanent road course that resides in the very picturesque Laguna Seca State Park outside of Monterey, California. The track has several long duration medium to medium-high speed corners and a low top speed of 240 kph or 150 mph, one of the lowest top speeds of all the tracks we run. The track has some elevation changes, including the famous 'Corkscrew' turn, a steep drop away over a blind 90-degree left-hand bend that immediately sweeps away to the right. It's the signature corner complex of the track.

GTLM competition:
    The number 25 BMW won here last year and was on pole, but the Porsches and Corvettes were also competitive. The number 62 Ferrari had the fastest race lap last year, finishing fourth in class. This will be an excitingrace this year with the 2016-era Ferrari, BMW and Ford, which have not raced or tested here. The big question of the race is fuel mileage. Can any car make it on one fuel stop? This could be pivotal. All the GTLMs are on Michelin tires and will be on new spec tires for this event, and unknown. The Porsches and Corvettes both had great pace the first three races, as have the BMWs. The Fords are still working through some new car bugs. Pit stops will be paramount here and the Risi crew always stands out in pit stop performance and will hopefully push the car forward as it did last year. The current BoP (Balance of Performance) has the Ferrari lacking some straight-line performance; this will make it difficult to pass competitors. The BMWs again are likely to be quick here. Porsche and Corvette have cars that are evolutions of their 2015 cars; their setups should be good off the truck. The Ford has shown some pace but has not been reliable yet.

The Track:
    The surface is relatively smooth as the weather is very consistent all year round and the track is not heavily used. The general grip level is typically low due to one of the big issues at Laguna which is that sand surrounds the track edges, as opposed to grass at most permanent road courses. As the higher downforce cars run near the edge of the track (or unintentionally off it), the sand is sucked onto the surface which makes the track low grip and slippery, and not always predictable. A moderate wind will also bring sand onto the tarmac. Shortly after the start, the track usually has only one racing line. It's difficult for GTLM cars to go off-line to pass (or get passed by faster classes) and retain any grip. If you go, or are forced, off-line it takes several laps to clean the sand off the tires. The track is also surrounded by gravel traps, a safety feature as there's quite a lot of motorcycle racing here, and if you go off into any of those traps you lose LAPS while the safety crew extricates you from the gravel.

Setup:
    Laguna Seca is typically a low grip, understeer track. The only real change of direction is in the Corkscrew section, but it's relatively slow and falling away downhill. It's a unique corner all to itself and you don't spend any time setting up for this complex, although it does tend to set the minimum ride height for the car; cars usually 'bottom' here, i.e. the floor (or the gear box or the engine sump) of the car touches the surface of the track. A moderately stiff setup is better at Laguna Seca. Pitch platform is important for braking and turn-in, and you need support through the long corners which you can't do with dampers (shocks) alone. This track is hard on brakes. The last corner is quite slow (70 Kph/43 mph), a good exit is important here as this leads to the main pit straight and to Turn 3, a prime passing area. The car needs good low-speed traction to get off the last corner quick for a run down to Turn 3.

The Race:
    This year's race will have only two classes, totaling 18 cars, in a 2-hour race, the same format as 2014, with a separate race for P+GTLM. There were no safety cars in that race; the race went green from start to finish in 2014. With few 'off pace' cars and few 'non-Pro' driver pairings, this year could go without a safety car as well. We have a few unknowns. We have not run this F488 GTLM package here, and we have new tires from Michelin, different than Daytona, Sebring, and Long Beach. Fuel looks tight, but we don't know, as this is a new chassis engine package, but with one recon lap and two pace laps, the initial thought is we might not be able to make it on one stop. It is very difficult to pass at Laguna Seca, making qualifying position extremely important for this event. The race will likely be two stops for the Ferrari. Strategy will be based on fuel economy and 'if' and 'when' any safety cars happen.

Risi Competizione has had good cars here in the past, including class wins, and a pole position in 2013.

The track suits the Ferrari and hopefully that's the case again this year.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Why do they pair the P with GTLM and PC with GTD? Is it just due to the size of the classes?

13. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Frankly, I'm not sure, but that is a good guess.

it works fine for us, as the P cars have the best drivers and the GTD cars are slower than us and hard to pass as we have about the same power. It is easy to get stuck behind one and lose a lot of time.

We were hoping IMSA would have let us use a bit more power, but we didn't get an increase for Laguna. It is not as important here as it has been the last three races. Should be a good race!

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    What is the difference between the 488 GTLM and GTD class cars?

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    P and GTLM are pro series; PC and GTD are pro-am.

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Is that the actual reason? I have just always been curious why certain races get split in certain ways. VIR for example is GTLM and GTD only...so a mix of pro and am.

17. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    It is my understanding that there also some mechancal differences. I think the GTLM cars have a little better aero and some other specialized components, like machined suspension arms as opposed to production based arms.

I think the GTD cars are closer to a GT3 spec and a bit less expensive. Straightline performace is probably about the same. GTLM cars might actually suffer a little at top end with a little more drag due to different aero.

When driven hard and well, the GTLM spec cars should be a little quicker.

18. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #18 apexdc, Apr 27, 2016
    Houston, Texas (April 27, 2016)...

Risi Competizione returns to the beautiful Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca this weekend, April 28-May 1, for the Continental Monterey Grand Prix Powered by Mazda two-hour race. This year the International Motor Sport Association (IMSA) sanctioning body returns to a split-class format, therefore Risi's GTLM class will only compete with the Prototype (P) class cars.

The 2.24-mile, 11-turn historic road course set in the hills near the Monterey Bay has been the site of two victories and a total of six podiums and three pole positions over the course of 14 years with 19 entries. Last year the pairing of Giancarlo Fisichella and Pierre Kaffer produced a fourth place finish and fastest race lap. This year Fisichella and Toni Vilander will co-drive and have just come off their first podium of the season, third on the streets of Long Beach.

In just three races of the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, the new No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM has completed every race lap and the Fisichella/Vilander duo are positioned third in the Driver Championship points standings.

Italian Giancarlo Fisichella will be making his third appearance at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. In addition to his 2015 appearance with Kaffer, the former Formula 1 star also paired with Kaffer in 2014 for a third-place finish, also in the Risi Competizione Ferrari 458 Italia GT.

Toni Vilander will be making just his second appearance at Laguna. His previous entry was in 2011 with Jamie Melo and Risi Competizione for a 6-hour race, where they finished sixth in class, also in the Ferrari 458 Italia GT.

This track plays to the particular strengths of the Ferrari and the team has done well here in the past. What things need to happen to be able to clinch a victory this time at Laguna?
    "It will be very, very difficult. We're down a little on power to our peers, which handicaps us in the straights. This is a low top speed track but the entry to Turn 3 (first real corner) is a prime passing area. We need enough gap off the last corner not to get passed before Turn 3... We need some luck here."

This race is for only the Prototypes and the GTLM cars. How will that change the overall race dynamic?

"There will not be any 'slower' traffic to pass. But that also means if a car has pace it could amass a substantial lead. This also means you can't use the slower traffic as a 'pick' in passing either. The likelihood of this race running without a safety car is high, based on past races with these classes."

You will be trying out some new Michelin tire compounds at Laguna. What are your thoughts and expectations?

"All GTLMs will have different tires to what we've all run in the first three races. We'll need to determine which compound suits our car at this track. We don't anticipate any problems as Michelin always brings a superior product, which typically only gets better when it changes. The only question is will it suit the Ferrari better than our competitors? We hope so. In this class tenths of a second (a lap) are what separates winning from losing."

This will be your second time to compete at Laguna Seca. What was your last experience like and what are you looking forward to most?

"I raced there in 2011. We had difficult race with some contacts and penalties, but I enjoyed the track very much. I'm looking forward to the weekend to start."

The Risi Competizione team has competed at Laguna Seca for 14 of the past 17 years, since 1999, and with 2 wins and 6 podiums. Obviously their many years of experience will serve as a good guide for you. Thoughts?

"We will try to get maximum out of our race car and hopefully that is enough to deliver us good results."

With just a Prototype/GTLM race for two hours will everyone be flat out the entire race?

"We are always flat out. Less cars means more space. And there is less chance for yellows. We are ready for everything."

You have raced at Laguna Seca twice and to a third and fourth place finish. What will it take to win this race?

"The last couple of races we were struggling with speed on the straights. Hopefully it will be different but I don't know. I hope with the different tire compound the problems will be diminished. I really like the Laguna circuit. It's one of the best in the U.S. They have a very special corner, called the Corkscrew. I enjoying racing there."

The Laguna Seca circuit seems pretty well suited for the Ferrari but this is a new car this year with the 488. How do you think it will react on the circuit?

"I don't know how it will be for sure yet until we are on track. I hope and think the shape of the circuit is good for our car. It's not a particular circuit for engine power, so I hope that will make it better for us. I'm pretty sure with using the WEC Michelin tires our car will be better too."

With the race being for only the Prototype/GTLM classes for two hour, how will that change the overall race dynamic?

"It will be better for sure, much less traffic, and probably less chance to get caution flags. It should be a more fluid race. I like that better."

Practice for the IMSA the Continental Monterey Grand Prix Powered by Mazda WeatherTech Championship series weekend begins at 8:45 a.m. PDT on Friday, April 29 for the Prototype (P) and GTLM classes, and again that afternoon from 2:20-3:20 p.m. Practice 3 is scheduled for Saturday morning from 11:05-11:50 a.m. with qualifying later that afternoon beginning at 4:30 p.m. PDT. The 2-hour P/GTLM class race will be 11:15 a.m.-1:15 p.m. PDT on Sunday, May 1 Live timing and scoring is available for all on-track sessions at IMSA.com and the IMSA Smartphone app.

Tune-In Information:
    The Continental Tire Grand Prix Powered by Mazda (P/GTLM) race is available live in the U.S. on May 1 on Fox Sports 1 and on the FOX Sports GO! mobile app at 2:00 p.m. EDT/11:00 a.m. PDT. The race will be streamed live in its entirety for international audiences on IMSA.tv and the IMSA Mobile App.

For more information, please contact us or go to Risi Competizione | a Experienced, Consistent, Ferrari Major Race Winner.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    for Laguna, yes. all four classes, split into pro and am.

GTLM and GTD is a GT showcase (sports cars only, no prototypes of any type) mostly so GTLM can have a chance at an overall win. unless of course you're in a Porsche at Road Atlanta in the wet, and your name is Nick Tandy ;)

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Is Fiona Miller still writing the press releases for Risi?

Fiona is a top PR agent, she was wise enough to hire me to work during the Prodrive
    Ferrari 550 GT Maranello days.

BHW

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I believe she works full time doing PR for the WEC.

22. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Barbara Burns is now doing the PR for the team. I have met her a couple of times at races, but don't know her well. I am assuming Fiona is no longer involved with the team.

BTW, if anyone would like to receive press releases directly, please let me know and I will get you on the list. They are the foundation for the posts I do here in this forum.

Keep in mind that the team is running Le Mans again this year and that will be fun to watch. I will be with the team, so may not be able to post as much as I do now.

23. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
  24. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #24 apexdc, May 2, 2016
    Monterey, California (May 1, 2016)...

The No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM of starting driver Toni Vilander and teammate Giancarlo Fisichella drove to a hard-fought Top Five finish in today's Continental Monterey Grand Prix Powered by Mazda race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California.

The fourth round of the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship featured only the Prototype (P) and GTLM classes in a two-hour sprint format. Vilander had qualified the car on the third row, in the fifth starting position, and drove a strong first stint.

On the second of three full course cautions, Vilander pitted for a driver change to Fisichella, along with new tires and fuel at approximately 40-minutes into the race and while in fourth position.

The Risi Competizione pit crew, known for their legendary pit stops, did not disappoint and managed to get the car out before several other pitting GTLM cars and into second-place, just behind a BMW that was out of the pit cycle. Eventually Fisichella was the race leader for five laps just past the halfway point of the race, as some cars pitted and some strategized to stay out.

The Risi Prancing Horse had to pit one additional time in order to satisfy the needed fuel to finish the race. The team elected to just do a 'splash-and-go' fuel stop only in just eight seconds and without a tire change 50 minutes from the race end and were back on track at approximately 12:25 p.m. EDT. In the end the lack of new tires did not play in their favor as well as the team had hoped and they had to settle for a Top Five instead of the desired victory or podium finish.

The Risi Competizione is now (unofficially) tied for fifth place in both the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Driver and Team Championships after fourth of 11 races.

The new Michelin GTLM 'Le Mans tires' that all the GTLM mid-engine teams used for the first time proved to suit the Ferraris well. The Houston, Texas-based Ferrari team is hopeful this will be a positive factor as the Risi team heads to Le Mans, France next month for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, June 18-19.

"It was quite a race. We had a great pit stop. On the first full stop, we put Giancarlo out in front. Unfortunately, as the tires got old we seemed to suffer a bit more so we weren't really able to push for a better position. Toni did a good job in his opening stint. Giancarlo was leading for awhile and we decided to pit early to make it to the end on fuel so we wouldn't get caught up in a yellow. Obviously, if you had a crystal ball you would have waited, but that's just how racing is. But we had a good race and we'll rebound for the next one."

"A lot of things happened in today's race. As we can see from weekend to weekend the performance changes a bit between the different manufacturers. I think the Michelin tires played a key role and we're really happy with the collaboration. The positive thing for us is that from here on out we should stick with these tires. At one point we were leading the race and it didn't look so bad. Giancarlo was on it and then towards the end of the race he had some issues. All positive things and a bittersweet end. We were hoping for a podium, but with P5, we'll take the points. We'll move on to Le Mans, which is a big one. Then, we are back at Watkins Glen and things are all positive. We are four races down, out of eleven, and we just need to keep going. Great thanks to the crew and the guys on that opening pit stop. I was P4 when we pitted and came out first. Thanks to Giancarlo, Giuseppe and everyone on the team. If we keep hammering down, our time will come, I'm sure."

"It was a positive start of the race. We did a fantastic pit stop and I was able to be in front of all of them, except for the BMW who stopped sometime before everyone else. At the restart I overtook the BMW and was leading the race. Then we decided to pit to make it to the end (on fuel) and in hindsight that might have been a wrong choice."

The next race for the Risi Competizione Ferrari team is the 24 Hours of Le Mans in Le Mans, France, June 18-19. The next IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race is Round 5, the Sahlen's Six Hours at The Glen, at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York, June 30-July 3.

25. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Love the Risi Team, but what about a shout out for the first win for the new Ford GT !

Looking forward to LeMans.