Audi in NASCAR? | FerrariChat

Audi in NASCAR?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by racerx3317, Mar 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The article is dated April 1 2015, and has an "April Fools" tag on the bottom. I suspect hoax. ;)

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Lol bastards!!

4. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Last friday in an interview with Dave Moody on SiriusXM Speedway NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France had this to say....

In the wide-ranging 12 minute interview, France also touched on the potential of new manufacturers entering the sport, joining the current stable of Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota. "There is some interest, and by a couple of different manufacturers and we would be open to that in the right conditions," France said. "I think a lot of the car companies are understandably looking at the terrific job that Toyota has done by partnering with NASCAR and the success and all the things that comes along with that. They've been an incredible success story for a car manufacturer looking to come into a sport that's very difficult to come in, compete and win every weekend. But there's an interest. And this is obviously the biggest opportunity in auto racing in North America."(NASCAR Wire Service)(3-19-2016)

Don't count Audi out just yet :)

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd say Nissan is a better candidate for that...

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Annually, one of the existing manufactures (notably Ford) in NASCAR threatens to pull out
    as their Boards of Directors simply can't keep rubber stamping budgets to commit to
    NASCAR (which is little more than a branding exercise) with little to no ROI and nothing
    gained in the technology department.

So, naturally, Mr. France would welcome in new manufacturers and they're very likely
    knocking on a lot of doors as if NASCAR were to become a two pony show, the coffers in
    the fake wood wall paneled offices in Daytonner would get a bit lighter.

Other than branding (and who doesn't already know the brands Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota
    already?) what is there to be gained by the participating manufactures? Certainly nothing
    in the technical aspect that is passed down to their road going counter parts. As is often
    pointed out, the most technically sophisticated car on the track at NASCAR events is the
    pace car.

We don't think for one second that other manufacturers which could be looking to enter
    NASCAR aren't taking a serious look at all this?

Interesting how France points out Toyota. When Toyota entered to great fan fare back around
    (what?) 2004-05, there was huge backlash from NASCAR fandom for allowing dem dere
    furrin cars to go roundy-round with the likes of Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge. I seem to remember
    an online petition being circulated at the time being promoted to keep Toyota
    out of NASCAR in order to keep the series "pure".

As our friend Chas has pointed out, economically racing is a zero sum game. This is especially so
    in NASCAR. So, even with the April Fool's joke about a company like Audi potentially sipping
    the NASCAR Mountain Dew, it is not so far fetched to think that Audi and other sport/luxury
    brands like Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, et.al. are being approached.

BHW

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Quoting "My prediction is that it will happen" doesn't have much meat on the bone does it?

The fact that Audi has scaled back their Le Mans entries to two cars this year, their long term
    investment in their R8 customer programs around the world as well as DTM would make it
    seem unlikely.

Guess you may never say never but in this case, this is a very far-fetched "prediction".

I will admit, back around 2003-04, there were some rumblings about Porsche getting into
    NASCAR and I bought into it. The ingredients were falling into place. First, Porsche surrogates
    were racing in the GrandAm DP category (albeit Porsche AG was taking a dim view of this and
    requesting teams remove any sort of badging or Porsche derived styling cues from the cars),
    none the less a Porsche Cayenne powered DP won the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Second, the announcement of the Porsche Panorama, their first V8 sedan which came into
    production in 2009. This raised a lot of eyebrows and the links were quickly made
    that this would pave the way for Porsche to enter NASCAR.

On the Porsche side in the U.S. at least, two of the influential voices in this subsequently
    passed away and the rumors then went silent.

Looking at Audi's motorsport involvement over the years, they tend to get into a series
    where they may showcase their technology. Notably bringing Quattro 4wd to WRC and
    TransAm where they toyed with the competition and then of course sports car racing where
    the R8s and successive models have brought Quattro drive along with diesel and other
    very trick bits to the game, all things as we know are strictly verboten in NASCAR where
    any sort of innovation is quickly squashed.

BHW

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Maybe it's changed, or it certainly could be if 'desired' ;), but I always believed a requirement to entry was you had to be a North American manufacturer. (?)

And before anyone says 'Toyota', they are indeed considered a US manufacturer per the NASCAR definition - I too vaguely recall the bru-hah-hah when they entered. Then Mr Bill noted that they produce more cars here than, IIRC, Dodge at least....... I believe all Camrys, & as know there's ****loads of 'em, are made here for example.

In NASCAR, per their rules, that makes them as American as apple pie.

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Look at their target clientelle.

I don't see Joe-Bob with a black '3' in the back window of their 1992 Chevy
    pickup truck wandering into an Audi store. Likewise for Mercedes.

HOWEVER, I COULD see VW going that way, and VW-Audi are connected.

To me, VW makes much more sense than about anyone else.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #11 BartonWorkman, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    It keeps coming back to my age old question...

If there is nothing to be gained by manufactures technically by taking part in NASCAR,
    what is the point exactly?

Branding? Don't think so not unless there is a dramatic demographic shift in NASCAR,
    and we all know that ain't happening.

BHW

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The point of NASCAR is racing surelly, not showcasing any technology.

It's attractive to a manufacturer because of its large audience, not to demonstrate hi-tec.

13. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Another question is. Who's motor or combination of parts would Audi use ?

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Exactly, so why would Audi, with its history of technical innovation through all these
    years suddenly give that up for NASCAR with its 50's technology?

BHW

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Given the current situation facing the Volkswagen group with the diesels, perhaps they think they'll fit right in. ;)

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Everything to lose and nothing to gain for Audi (VW Group) to do NASCAR.

Two chances of this happening, slim and none.

BHW

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You may be right there ...

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    "Vas is das 'carburetor'?"

19. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    NASCAR's use Mclaren spec ECU's(also the supplier to F1 for their spec ECU's). The control from the governing body on a spec ECU finally brought about fuel injection to NASCAR.

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its a massive exposure to an incredibly large crowd all over the USA every week. Its not different than putting their logo on the Jerseys of 1/4 of all the players in the NFL at each game. Its HUGE advertising, with the bonus, of hearing and seeing the badge contend in a form of driving in addition to just displaying a banner.

The benefits are out there, what the cost is, is not as known.

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. I did not know that.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not if they don't win.

And, believe me, NASCAR would do everything in its power to keep an Audi out of their
    victory circles.

How long did it take Toyota to win? IIRC, it was several years all with Ford technology
    in their engine blocks.

To me, its a no-win situation and Audi doesn't think about anything but winning. It's
    beyond branding to them.

BHW

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, but NASCAR's "fuel injection" still runs off a carburetor which is still distributing the fuel,
    otherwise they could not have restrictor plate racing.

NASCAR is still mired in 50's technology, just ask anyone who works on them. The drive trains
    are literally the same as 50's era pick up trucks. This is a series that only allowed radial tires in
    during the 90's.

Do we really see Audi willing to turn back the clock 60 years after all they've accomplished
    and brought to the world stage?

Come now...

BHW

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I chuckled a little at "50's technology."

And then I LOL'd. :)

+1

You ever wanna go down a geeky black hole, Mclaren tech has a *lot* of info.

Huh? Not arguing, but REALLY?!!

There's still a carb in the loop? Wow!

I think you've probably nailed it right there! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That's what I thought....