IMSA Long Beach GP 2016 GTLM Qualifying | FerrariChat

IMSA Long Beach GP 2016 GTLM Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bulldozer27, Apr 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I stood at one corner during Qualifying to capture all of the different exhaust notes of the GTLM class. The new 488 GTLM obviously suffers from the new turbo, but not nearly a bad as the Ford GTLM, which was beautiful but sounded like a large mosquito., and the new BMW M6 GTLM was somewhere in between the previously-mentioned two. The Corvette has always sounded like it could start an earthquake, but the new 911 RSR is by far the best sounding car I've heard yet at Long Beach regardless of class, and I've attended the LBGP 6 out of the last 10 years.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JqRWWiRW3A[/ame]

2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Did you stay for the race? That ending was pretty messed up. I think the Porsche team intentionally spun the vette so the team car could take the lead and the win. There was absolutely no way he had position in that turn. Bone headed move that took himself out. As for the Ferrari team, I sure hope they can find more speed. They got gapped pretty quick at the very beginning. Their finish was the result of what the Porsche team did and not actual on track performance.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree, and I'm a huge Porsche fan. dirty racing IMO.

4. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I was there all day Friday, and qualy was in the early evening. Saturdays are always madness there, so I just watched the race on TV. With the benefit of hindsight, your conspiracy theory sounds reasonable. Too bad we couldn't hear their radios.....

I spent a fair amount of time in the Risi pit area (and also Scuderia Corsa after qualy) and they told me the big problem is the BoP is different in IMSA as compared to FIA WEC. One of the chief mechanics pointed out that AF Corse was fastest in practice at Silverstone on that same day with their 488 GTLM, while Risi was struggling just to break into the top five (ultimately they didn't).

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Dirty racing from Porsche is simply more of the same. They crashed out a Corvette at the end of a Laguna Seca race a few years ago to.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    dude that was like 10 years ago! :)