Had a question from a young guy at the Kart Track... | FerrariChat

Had a question from a young guy at the Kart Track...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by spirot, May 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I'm a member at Atlanta Motorsports Park and run at the kart facility there as much as I can. I'm addicted - run a LO206 B&S kart... not the fastest but fun. So this past Saturday I was talking with a young guy -(19) who was seeking advice on getting started into racing...

I thought he was very realistic, not expecting to try in Indy cars, F1 etc.. but rather get into Sports cars and eventually be a pro driver in WEC / IMSA.

So the question to those of you with racing experience - how should he do it? Knowing that its going to take $$$$$ but beyond that what practical advice to give him?

He's a pretty bright articulate kid, perhaps a bit older than ideal, but very fast and neat and tidy in his Kart racing... based in Atlanta where does he go?

I have no personal or financial interest in this other than trying to pay it forward....

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    MX5 Cup scholarship. if he wins that, GT3 Cup scholarship. then Conti Tire ST. then GTD in IMSA.

or win the lottery/invent an app/marry wealthy.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It seems sponsor $$$ is mostly following second and third generation drivers these days. That or being perceived as some form of "minority".

To make it as a racing driver, in addition to racing ability, you need to be an incredible business and marketing machine.(Or have people with those skills talking for you.)

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would go with the "marry wealthy" option as above....

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Harsh reality but true.

GT3 racing (where a lot of the money is) is getting quite expensive. 700k for the 488 GT3 now (458 GT3 was a lot cheaper). GTE/2 even more expensive.

6. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    #6 Bulldozer27, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    I can relate to his kid as I was in a similar position in the early '90s, but without the requisite personality/maturity or financial backing to potentially advance.

Assuming he doesn't have family money to burn but has a reasonably marketable personality, then he will still need a mentor(s) beyond just outright speed on track. Specifically, he will need people who will advise and guide through the processes of mental coaching, networking, negotiating, marketing, and hopefully obtaining sponsorship. In short, he will need a good management team of at least two people because it is highly unlikely that one advisor can manage all of the above. I say this because the mental coaching from the driving side is very different from the marketing side of the equation.

Let us know what happens and good luck to him.

7. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Is he in school? Have a job? Business minded?

I believe Ferrari of Atlanta just started running a challenge car team.

Perhaps he could start working there and then volunteering with the team. May have to pay his way when they travel but it'll put him around professional drivers and teams.

If your quick eventually people will start to hear about it. You just need to make sure its the right people hearing.....

Needs to surround himself with drivers and owners as much as possible...

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    to that end...

Ryan Eversley, Spencer Pumpelly, Andy Lally and Sean Rayhall all live in metro Atlanta. he needs to find and befriend those guys.

I hear Clermont Lounge is a good place to find some of them ;)

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Just a thought: get a job instructing with Skip Barber. Make contacts. Get free/discounted seat time. Race in the Skippy series. Become a personal instructor for a patron who's got "aspirations". Do their coaching, testing and set-up work as they move up the ladder. If they go to IMSA/WEC, follow along.

Form alliances with, and offer services to, local racing teams and shops. This model has worked before. But, as noted, it's a TOUGH business to break into, and there are many who also want to make a living in this realm. So, be prepared for many disappointments. I don't know how many "opportunities" I've seen vaporize for one reason or another. Lots of paddock talk and dreams don't happen.

CW