TT Coverage | FerrariChat

TT Coverage

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Sharknose, Jun 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
  2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm shocked that they still have this event-but I'm thankful they do. These guys aren't worried about halos.....

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It's one of the few things worth watching on Velocity.

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    These guys are truly insane, those helmet cams make me grab my couch and hold on.
    A lot of people have died on this course, opening day this year two already.
    But would still like to go and watch this.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The TT is the only motorcycle race that matters.

It's a pity they don't have the equivalent for cars, IMO.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    ......a wheelie at 150 mph, Hutchinson wins WOW

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    On a superbike, the fastest guys average over 130 mph, it is crazy.

But I am not sure that averaging 100 mph in the old days of poor handling and brakes was any less crazy or deadly.

IoM course used to be on the GP calendar a few decades ago, I doubt you would ever get a Lorenzo or Rossi to do a fast lap of the place. Far too dangerous compared to circuits.

What I do like about it is that it is less about a rider being a small and slender build, much more about nerves of steel and courage. This is probably why several guys over 40 have won these races, mentally they are very strong even if they are actively growing their beer gut between races.

BTW, in the US, watch ROAD on Netflix about two generations of the Dunlop clan. Great doc.

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Ok, the guy just nailed it!

Michael Dunlop made history on the opening day of racing at the Isle of Man TT. The Hawk Racing BMW rider shattered the lap and race records to record the first ever sub-17 minute lap of the Mountain Course and take the win in Superbike.

Dunlop dipped under the 17-minute mark not once, but twice, delivering a decisive blow to the competition in the first two laps of the race. The quickest of the two was 133.393 mph to beat Tyco BMW’s Ian Hutchinson by 19 seconds to take his 12th career TT victory. Hutchison himself was also inside the outright lap record, but Dunlop’s race winning time was a staggering 1:15.643 inside the old race record. Joining the pair on the podium was Honda Racing’s John McGuinness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nlzxR6lN7Q

9. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
  10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    That makes a total of five this year. Three in practice and two in races IIRC.

More than normal. One or two are killed most years.

I think this is the "sport" Hemmingway spoke of. Most everything else are just games...