Rallycross the most exciting motorsport ? | FerrariChat

Rallycross the most exciting motorsport ?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by william, Jun 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    'Rallycross is now the most exciting motorsport out there'

'Rallycross is now the most exciting motorsport out there' | Auto Express

F1 is more about tech than the drivers, WRC has lost its identity and touring car races fail to excite, says Mike Rutherford

If you’ve got time on your hands, adventure in your heart and cash in your pocket, you can go to Hell this weekend.
    Hell in Norway, that is. A passport and a pair of tough boots might help, too. It’s a dusty place (part dirt, part tarmac) is Hell on earth. In the days ahead, it will serve as motorsport Mecca for true car fans.
    That’s because the Norwegian venue will host the latest round of the World Rallycross Championship, which means it’ll be home to the most entertaining and exciting form of car racing the world has to offer. Honestly.

Formula One is more about tech, tantrums and teams running cars we can’t relate to, than it is about (eye-wateringly expensive) drivers, now pricing themselves out of jobs – thus the imminent arrival of autonomous F1 machines. Formula E struggles as the cars can’t go fast or far enough, plus they sound just plain wrong.

Sadly, the World Rally Championship has lost its true stars, identity and mass appeal, and British and World Touring Car races fail to excite, whether I’m watching them in the metal or in front of a TV screen being bored to sleep.

Rallycross is at the other end of the entertainment and exhilaration scale. There’s an honesty, atmosphere, level of skill and air of sportsmanship that no other form of racing seems to offer any more. And the smell (reminds me of Speedway meetings I attended as a nipper), dust, din and unapologetic burning of fuel, oil and rubber via £300,000 pocket rockets powered by 600bhp two-litre turbo engines are all deliciously politically incorrect.

And how’s this for an astonishing fact? Off the line, Rallycross cars are faster than their F1 counterparts. No wonder the motorsport of the moment features the likes of Sébastien Loeb (Peugeot 208) and Mattias Ekström (Audi S1). It can be argued that these two are the current fastest drivers around, thanks to their three victories apiece in the annual Race of Champions, where top Rallycross and Rally pilots like them tend to, more often than not, thrash their slower F1 rivals.

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Clearly the author has never seen MotoGP, World Superbike, or Supercross. And don't even get me started on the Isle of Man TT that just concluded this week.

Rallycross looks like a sleeping aid compared to this. Watch and ask yourself what exactly happens when you get it wrong. There are very few soft places to hit when you crash.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZgDpJ4jUO4

3. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My vote to Supercross. No fuel, tire, motor blah blah saving. Just pure racing and pure skill.
    As the US Supercross season is finished, now watching the US AMA MX, which is just as good!