Leh Keen released by Alex Job Racing | FerrariChat

Leh Keen released by Alex Job Racing

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by the_stig, Aug 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Keen Released by AJR; Mueller Joins MacNeil for Road America - Sportscar365

Leh Keen has been released by WeatherTech Racing, effective immediately, with Porsche Junior Sven Mueller having been tabbed to drive the No. 22 Alex Job Racing Porsche 911 GT3 R in this weekend’s Continental Tire Road Race Showcase at Road America.

Mueller, the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup championship leader, will join Cooper MacNeil at the wheel of the GTD class contender for the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship round, the team confirmed Thursday.

Keen and MacNeil had been one of the longest-running driver combinations in IMSA competition, with 38 total starts together, dating back to 2012.

“We decided to make a driver change for the rest of the season in the WeatherTech Porsche,” team owner Alex Job said. “Leh Keen has won races with us, but off the track circumstances led to a change. We wish Leh all the best going forward.

“Sven is a fast young driver that is currently leading both the Supercup and Carrera Cup series in Europe.

“We are looking forward to having a successful weekend of racing at Road America. We will reassess where we are with the 22 Porsche after this weekend.”

The 24-year-old German, who was originally en route to Road America to drive the No. 540 Black Swan Racing Porsche, which has been withdrawn, will make his second career WeatherTech Championship start after driving for Frikadelli Racing at Daytona.

Mueller has claimed three wins in six starts in Supercup this year, with 10 wins out of 12 starts in Porsche Carrera Cup Germany.

“It is going to be a real pleasure to drive with Alex Job Racing,” Mueller said. “I already know Mario Farnbacher and Alex Riberas from racing in Europe.

“To have a good strong teammate like Cooper makes this weekend even more interesting. I have been learning the Road America circuit on the simulator and I am looking forward to driving it tomorrow.”

Alex Job expands into a three-car operation this weekend, with the addition of the No. 77 WeatherTech Porsche for Gunnar Jeannette and David MacNeil, which is expected to be a one-off entry.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this one is bizarre....would love to hear what *really* happened.

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    "Off the track circumstances", eh?

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I guess that could be anything from because Porsche said so to the comment on sportscar365 that Cooper is hard to get along with.

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    probably the latter...

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Is MacNeil part of the family that owns WeatherTech? Guessing so.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Can someone please explain weathertech to me? Who is buying their floormats to extent they can advertise, sponsor, and race to extent $$$ they do? Not insinuating anything but remember the 80s imsa/indy teams fueled by cocaine?

9. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't get it either, but according to this article they're a several hundred million dollar enterprise:

WeatherTech CEO MacNeil Lives 'Made In America' Gospel

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well in that case, I imagine that if you drive for a team that is owned by your family that races in a series sponsored by your family's company you'd be a pain in the ass, too.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they're a big OEM supplier in addition to selling direct to the consumer. I'd also imagine they have pretty good margins, once the upfront costs (design and machinery) are amortized. can't be more than a few dollars worth of material in each set of mats and they go for $100-200 depending on partial or full interior.

12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I use them in my 3 SUV's and in the front of my wife's Mas - they are great

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

I've had a bunch of them. great products. still overpriced ;)

15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im sure theyre great mats and made in usa too
    but they advertise like theyre apple, ford, jetblue, etc. crazy

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The Forbes article says they are the largest consumer of sheet plastic in the country. I guess there's more to the mat business than we think, eh?
    Percentage wise they're making much better money than Jet Blue!

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    He'll be a billionaire one day. When we had lunch with he and Cooper at Elkhart Lake during the FCA national meet and he had just taken delivery of I think a 130 plus foot yacht. Maybe it was 160 I cannot recall now. But I found him to be very open and pleasant enough. He is a captan of that industry and he knows it. A self made man and a great driver. A great benevolent friend of the FCA.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    King is from Charleston SC I'll have to ask. Both families are from big money. I think Kings is banking? And both are tall and fast.

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    KEEN is indeed from banking. Father L. Mcgrath Keen Jr. (Leh Keen is a III) was President and CEO of Farmers and Merchants Bank which merged with Capital City Bank where he was a board member. I think they have only lived in Charleston for a few years.

20. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    the yacht is a 130 Westport call "W". It's in the Exumas all the time.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have WeatherTech vent visors in the side windows of my Honda Civic (as I did in its predecessor) and they are great products.

22. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How come the black ones fade badly? All black leather and faded floor mats.

23. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    David Macneil is also an Airbus H145 owner which replaced his (2yr old) H125 (as350 b3). The H145 runs roughly $6-8 million depending on specs.

He has that many clients to visit within the range of a twin engine chopper? LOL

24. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Nobody's hurting... ;)

Leh is a talent, though.

25. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006