Texas Indycar... | FerrariChat

Texas Indycar...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ...rain stopped in June to continue Saturday night. With 177 laps to go, how is one hour of supposed live coverage on NBCSN (9:30-10:30 pm, eastern) going to do it???

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What time did it start? I tuned in at 9:25 and they were already running!

3. The show started at 9:00. I've been flippin' back and forth 'tween MMA and the race. 'Don't know what time they resumed (maybe 1/4 after?).

4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    One hell of a finish! Good on Graham.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Most of the race(s) was terrible, but the final 5 laps and the .008 finish was pretty great.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I enjoyed the whole race honestly. The start was also epic with all the excessive downforce on full tanks and non-stop sparks.

That place is gnarly. Castroneves is lucky he didn't cause a massive crash.

Sucks Dixon crashed into Carpenter and cut his tire - I think Ed would have been in it at the end. Dixon seems to be making a lot of mental errors this year. The dumb divebomb on Helio at Mid-Ohio (after crashing in practice where no one crashes) and now just driving into Carpenter is really weird.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice to see Fchatters succeeding :)

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don't care what anybody says....Taking Eau Rouge flat in an F1 car is one thing, but three wide at 200mph in an Indy car on a tri-oval is something on a different level of balls......

9. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010
    It was an incredible race.

10. #10 lorenzobandini, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Eau rouge ain't what it used to be.....

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Erhm, I don't think you've been following F1 or sports cars lately, lots of red flags for rain.

13. #13 lorenzobandini, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Ehrm, yes I have. ;) 'Haven't stopped since the 60s.

Monsoons, deluges, rivers; hell even "weepers" (NASCAR) will stop any racing; and more importantly of recent, fear of bad publicity if something goes awry. However, oval racing has no rains (tires, I understand why, of course). It's all good....each series has it's raison d'etre. I was just comparing the fact that sports cars and F1 will run in the rain where Indy ovals are a no go, period.

edit: Jack...ask Kevin Magnussen if he thinks Spa has been totally neutered.... :)

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Since he was the only one to crash there I'm chalking it up to driver error. There's no doubt that Eau rouge is not as daunting as it once was. As for oval racing in the rain, I'm all for it. I believe real professional racing drivers should have to drive to the conditions, no matter how atrocious. Raining hard? Slow down. Raining harder? Slow down some more.

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    2007 European Grand Prix
    2009 Maylaysian Grand Prix
    2011 Canadian Grand Prix
    2012 Malaysian Grand Prix
    2014 Japanese Grand Prix

Or if you want to go farther back, 1971 Canadian Grand Prix

16. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I stood at the creek at the bottom of EnRouge. It's red thus EnRouge. Acid/sulfur mine drainage. Some old mining rail cars in historic display right below the bus stop.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ha! That's cool - didn't know that.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Concur.

They were literally bouncing around in there...Pagenaud had to bail out. Smart move.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Always thought it interesting that sports cars (featuring several classes) could race on a
    high banked oval such as Daytona in the pouring rain (been there and seen it dozens of
    times) but stock cars and American open wheeled cars do not.

Is there something about sports cars (both open and enclosed cockpits) that enables
    them to race in the rain at Daytona while utilizing 97% of the oval that stock cars and
    American open wheeled cars don't?

BHW

20. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    It's been said Firestone could create a better rain tire than exists today, but I'm not sure the drivers would believe in it to aggressively drive with it. Besides hydroplaning into a concrete wall, rooster tails seem to be a lot greater in an Indycar than sports cars and that creates little visibility. While on a road course you have a little more lines in the track to escape the tails, on an rainy oval I would assume for Indycar there is only one optimal "groove" so the rooster tail train would affect everyone behind the leader. I don't know how you can create a better rain tire that disperses water and not create rooster tails at the same time, it seems like an impossible task.

21. The cause of the crash is irrelevant. Enough years ago, Kevin would not be with us today. (he might not be with us today if he had connected at a different angle than he did...) No it's not as daunting (oh, okay), but it still is.

When was the last time you raced in the rain, let alone on an oval? 'Tis an important question, as I loved when it rained. However, I was quite aware of how much MORE dangerous it was. Flat on the Daytona tri-oval in the rain prior to the addition of the bus stop was NOT an enjoyable part of the endeavor. Full tilt for 2+ miles in the wet, let alone if you're blinded by spray, is a hair raising experience, pro or not pro. ;)

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yah the spray came to mind for me. Would probably be close to impossible for fans to see anything either. Guessing.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Concur. I've driven Homestead nascar 3/4 in the rain and it was pretty gnarly even in a slow openwheel car. But I love driving road courses in the rain provided they aren't flooded.

24. Ahaaaaa.... Do I detect someone in the know?...... :)

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I know enough to know I don't know much about racing yet.

Working hard though and delusional so I'm sure it will end well ; )