WEC returning to COTA in 2017? New 24H may replace it... | FerrariChat

WEC returning to COTA in 2017? New 24H may replace it...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by hairy_scotsman, Sep 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Signs not pointing to a WEC return to COTA next year...I guess. There have also been rumors of WEC moving to Indy, with WEC officials having been there during the 500 talking to Indy officials and touring the facility.

Hankook 24H COTA Confirmed on 2017 24H Series Schedule - Sportscar365 24H COTA Confirmed on 2017 24H Series Schedule - Sportscar365

Meanwhile, Sportscar365 says a potential WEC-PWC Austin 2017 pairing has been ruled out: Mexico City Thursday Notebook: Mexico City Thursday Notebook - Sportscar365

Anyone here know much about this series? Looks like it may replace WEC at COTA.

There have also been rumors of WEC moving to Indy, with WEC officials having been there during the 500 talking to Indy officials and touring the facility.

Racer Blog - WEC: Series evaluating Indy round after 500 visit

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I wonder if the Indy track will try to get the USGP back in the future??

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    With such rich sports car traditions at COTA and Indy, who can blame them really?

When are the powers that be (in the US and Europe) get real and include the 24 Hours
    of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring in the WEC again?

BHW

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Any chance of an SCG there???

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    We're the ones to make this happen.

Not a bunch of redneck derelicts deep in the fake wood paneled walls in
    Daytonner.

We're the one they once wrote off as the "traditional sports car fans" that
    they didn't care about (direct f-ing quote from then GrandAm president, lower case
    intentional, Roger Edmundson).

There seems to be some change of attitude up there now and they'd better keep
    listening because if the WEC fails on U.S. grounds, it is on their heads for keeping
    this charade alive.

BHW

7. #7 lorenzobandini, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    I'd love to see the Rolex and Sebring back on the World Champ sched but I don't see why
    NASCAR cares whether WEC fails in the U.S. They're working on a monopoly of U.S. racing
    and that's all they care about; not some furriner invadin' their territory.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well they let Toyota into NASCAR, so they don't mind furriners to much as long as they pay them well :) Would love to see WEC at Sebring. Indy or Daytona have banks so it does not matter wich one to me. I have not been to the Daytona 24 since 2003. Gran Am made than happen.

9. Entries in their series and competing against their series is two different things. ;)

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You're a quick learner.

Exactly, the point.

See what happens when a virtual monopoly starts to take shape?

Should WEC be a part of the 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring? Of course
    they should. But, will they? Highly unlikely.

BHW

11. #11 lorenzobandini, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Thank you. 'Always did learn easily; at least things I wanted to and anything racing was one o' those things since about 5 or 6 years old.
    'Not being argumentative but why do you feel the WEC should be part of The Rolex and Sebring (or should we more correctly say the Rolex and Sebring be part of the World Endurance Championship; they getting their points for their championship and the NASCAR...err...IMSA...teams getting theirs)? I would like it to be but realize that now that they're NASCAR shows, there's no reason in the world it "should" be; and no way they will be able to enter those races (I know, I know, Rolex and Sebring was won by a WEC team this year, but that's just P2) even as a separate class as NASCAR won't have them winning outright over their own classes.
    Now, if the rules evolved back to internationally inspired, 'could be different. But , I don't think NASCAR wants that high a tech (LMP1) series so absolutely prolly not. :(

12. #12 lorenzobandini, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Agreed on Sebring. A good, tuff circuit. Mega partying by the fans (wonder fer how long tho'....)

How do the banks at Indy and Daytona (a very minimal 9 degrees at Indy and only one is used as the last turn of the road course.) influence your desire? They really have no significance regarding driver skill or the cars' handling. They're virtually just straightaway and slow speed as they are the exits of slow corners..... :shrug:
    Both "rovals" stink as far as circuits go. Indy is mickey mouse'ish :eek: (lower case out of respect for Mickey, who I hold in higher regard :)) and Daytona...two mile'ish straights interrupted by a busstop and another straight with kink with a right hand horshoe on each end. 'Never drove Indy ('wouldn't want to) but Daytona is a bore. 'Just sayin'....

Now, Watkins Glen or Elkhart Lake.... ;):)

Time for Monza, Indycars (ergh) at WG, and good ol' (well not as good as it usetabe) Southern 500. I'm set for the day. :)

13. (couldn't edit above any longer)

Sheesh! And tomorrow, 11:00 - whenever....NHRA, Indy!! Fire breathing dragons!!! :eek:

What a race fans weekend delight. ;)

14. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hearing rumors here and there that the WEC has a one-year deal with COTA for the 2017 race and will then look elsewhere. But who knows. We'll see.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    COTA keeps place on WEC 2017 schedule, FE clash still possible COTA keeps place on WEC 2017 schedule, FE clash still possible

So, a standalone event, I guess, since IMSA is moving to May and PWC will be on Labor Day weekend. That'll be two very hot races in 3 weekends and 4 races from September through early November.

IMSA, PWC, Hankook 24H, and WEC all standalone, as of now anyway.

16. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    #17 Jakuzzi, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    WEC can only make one smart move. Only because it is 70 miles from the house, and that is Road Atlanta. Don't want to hear anything about the size of the track, the red clay mud, etc, etc, again it is only 70 miles from the house.

Tell them to call me and I will square it up for them. Might even take them to the tail of the dragon.

19. WEC can only make one smart move. Only because it is 1300 miles from the house, and, back where it belongs, that is Watkins Glen. ;)