Two stroke question | FerrariChat

Two stroke question

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ducrob, Sep 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    So, I have never received a detailed answer to this question....here goes. If two stroke motors make such incredible power out of a small displacement (remember the gp500's...180hp?) how come a series like NHRA never built or started a class for two stroke? I wonder what the theoretical hp would be from say a 350 cubic inch two stroke? The powerband/traction control could be handled electronically, they would also sound amazing. I know it wouldn't be relevant with today's auto buyers and of course, pollution would be hard to tame but it would be exciting. I remember a couple years back seeing a guy put an outboard in a car....can't remember the results though. I think Saab did some two stroke stuff long ago....anyways, am looking forward to an answer. Cheers.

2. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    2 strokes have a down side, they require oil in the combustion chamber, which is why they smoke. most of the oil is burned off, but there is always going to be a little bit that makes it onto the track. also there is the appeal of watching a bunch of smokey vehicles.

3. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hmmm....I had several race karts, three 500cc 2 stroke super bikes and a couple of sleds and never witnessed them leak....even when running rich. I guess there would be a bigger potential for that with a much bigger motor though? I would love to see how much power a small block 350 two stroke converted chev would make!

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando