Will Indycar have to turn into Formula E to survive? | FerrariChat

Will Indycar have to turn into Formula E to survive?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by TeamF1Jr, Sep 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Interesting articles about where the corporate sponsorship money is flowing in racing. Big corporations are sponsoring Formula E teams regardless of little attendance and small TV viewership while on the flip side tier 1 sponsors avoid Indycar like the plague. The reason..........corporations don't want to be tied to the past technolgies of non environmentally friendly internal combustion engines. Michael Andretti argues for a dramatic change for the next Indycar powerplant.

Formula E Is Succeeding Where F1 and IndyCar Are Failing

Formula E Team Owner Penske Not Worried About Series' $68.4M Loss For '14-15 Season - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I have tried to watch the E car races, without the sound it does nothing for me.
    There will always be a market for the roar/scream of a race car engine.
    But who knows the Teslacar race series could be right around the corner, no .... I won't watch it.
    The 24 volts at LeMans ?

3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I was at the glen event. Half the indy lights field MIA. Too expensive, Out of money,lack of sponsors. Cars sounded and looked good. Time for the series to go away and be replaced with formula E? BTW indy cars sounded good too. Turn it into some type of hybrid power plant and it will become unaffordable. Would like to see everyone runs the same tire with no options. Tire strategy is BS, spectators could care less, Tire and fuel stops can be interesting. GTS Bruce

4. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    IMS missed out on a golden opportunity to run Formula E as a support for the 100th IMO. Change is coming/needed the sooner the organisers jump on it the better.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I guess next the sponsors will want to back autonomous racing. Then what?

6. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    As nuts as that sounds, I can see that happening. I can visualize a race, a true technological battle between manufacturers, who can create or should I say program the most advanced autonomous technology, who can create the most efficient crash avoidance software during a race, perhaps even award points by measuring efficiency post race plus the obvious manufacturers points, plus it eliminates costly driver error or and eliminates the high driver salaries, the list goes on and on........... I course prefer a human element, but humans are being phased out in so many aspects of life so guys like Hamilton and the like will be phased out too

7. From: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-racing/512972-nascar-2016-a-15.html#post144853286

"The past ten years, I've been predicting, while listening to "talking heads" ask "How can we ever make racing totally safe?" each time something nasty happens that could have been avoided but hadn't happened before, a solution that I think will arrive. If it's not virtual racing (which will do away with the need for tracks and cars and all that goes with it...no need for all that extraneous stuff....), I believe it will be a form of r/c (radio controlled) racing.

Think of it...no need or risk for drivers in the cars, they'll be up in the air conditioned press box giving a lap by lap commentary themselves. Harden the tires, load 'em up with fuel (more space and safer for the fans) in the center of the car with no driver to burn) so there'll be no need for pitstops...no crews to get hurt. Just keep waving those hot dog wrapper yellows to keep the show...errr...competition tight. How wonderful. I can't wait.

Just keep watching. Mark my words, something to the above effect (affect? I always get them confused) will arrive in the not to distant future."

(btw, "perhaps even award points by measuring efficiency post race"; Le Mans used to have the "Index of Petrformance" awards)

8. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    * couldn't care less

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    When NASCAR eventually takes over Indy Car, whatever is left of the relevance
    of American open wheeled racing will vanish quickly.

There will be some gestures at first while NASCAR, operating out of the deep fake wood
    paneled walls in Daytonner, will half heartledly attempt to "revitalize" Indy Cars but once
    they're done sucking out what is left of the manufacturers and sponsors, all that will remain
    will be an empty balloon.

Rather than shooting Indy Car like a lame horse, NASCAR will bleed it dry for its own
    purposes and then keep some sort of tradition alive at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
    for appearances while promoting their own Brickyard 400.

This bleak landscape brought to you by the dunce Tony George who thought by making
    an alliance with NASCAR, Indy Cars would be uplifted somehow. George looks as though
    he's been kicked in the head by an Indiana mule and it now appears that he was.

Such a pity.

BHW

10. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Have you ever made a post that didn't include the terms "wood paneled walls" and "Daytonner" ???

11. "Have you ever made a post that didn't include the terms "wood paneled walls" and "Daytonner" ???"

BHW - To make amends for my past "sins", I'll field this one for you... :p

Bill - BW can't help it. It's genetic. :D

12. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Ah the human element. There is absolutely no reason to include a human in space exploitation. Waste of space,weight,extra systems etc.etc. However no humans equals no money or interest. Same Is true for motor racing. Remove the human and There would be no sponsorship,interest. Same as robots playing foot ball or baseball.

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  14. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    ahhmmm....those are "fake wood paneled walls". Try to get it right!! :p

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Mark my words - if / when IndyCar moves to a Formula E type model, they are DEAD.

Playboy magazine comes to mind. More irrelevant than ever.

Let me remind everyone, after 25 years in private, corporate business, many executives (who are under tremendous pressure to achieve results and suffer from high turnover) make radical decisions if they feel there's nothing to lose. If those decisions are made without processing or understanding all vectors, it's difficult to recover from.

History is littered with examples. 2 noted above, but many, many more exist.

16. Now...now....now...hold on a second here. At least lay that sheet on Bill in Atlanta (post 10) as I wuz just quotin' him..... :p

17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    So noted!! :p

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the links.

Here's what stands out to me. No one is talking about the show; just about attracting manufacturers and sponsors.

A new hybrid powerplant is not going to but butts in the seats; in fact, it will likely decrease attendance. So I guess they could be happy with sponsorship and manufacturers and perform for empty grandstands?

19. ......which would bring us back to square one...no eyeballs; no mfr. or sponsor interest.

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    LOL. One of the reasons FE doesn't run on real circuits is because of how slow their cars are and how unbelievably slow they would look on TV. Can you imagine how they would look at IMS?

No.

21. Yes. Not good.

'Used to race 1/12 r/c w/nicads on different circuits (oval or road course; PVC nailed to parking lot pavement and a coupla permanent circuits) and at least for scale they were moving...20 mph x 12 = 240 mph....

FE....ehhh. :D