Newgarden to Penske | FerrariChat

Newgarden to Penske

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by brent Lachelt, Sep 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great news.

this plus the extension of RHR's deal with Andretti and DHL through 2020 are great for IndyCar...now they need to figure out how to capitalize on it.

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Does Rossi have a seat for next year?

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Still sounds like speculation though....but I'd like to see Newgarden there or with Ganassi.

Will be awesome to see him and Pagenaud battling in a similar package. I think Simon will be the man to beat next year again.

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Supposedly negotiating for 3 year deal with Andretti/Herta.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It seems this is the first year since the demise of CART that wholesale driver changes
    in Indy Car has A) Actually made news and B) Really meant something (with the possible
    exception of when Montoya jumped over from NASCAR to Penske).

If Indy Car would keep up an off-season testing schedule, it would help keep them in the
    headlines instead of being forgotten from September to March as they've been doing the
    past few years.

In the CART days, the teams would literally be at Sebring testing the week after the
    last race of the season and continued through the Winter and it kept the series in the
    news.

BHW

7. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I understand why he'd make the change, but for entertainment value it's great seeing him on a team other than the big two that pretty much win everything.

8. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    In order for things like this to happen you need three things....fans, sponsors and new technology/cars each year. Your current format has none of them But knowing that your favorite driver or team can "twitter" or "facebook" is just why we keep coming back for more. NOT!!

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ha!

As long as Indy Car isn't using the drivers to make those stupid ESPN-like commercials
    during the offseason again.

Like I say, if there was somewhat of a testing season happening during the winter months
    to keep things fresh, but they don't do that until right before the season starts.

But, you're right, Twitter and Facebook are virtually worthless unless the cars are on
    the track.

BHW

10. #11 lorenzobandini, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Test what?

In the CART days, the teams would be testing because they had things to test. Now the teams have next to nothing (or is it just plain nothing...?) to R&D, let alone test any such possible end products.

Again; 'better off with IROC. :eek:

11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Considering the.09 tv rating for the season finale, I would say the cars have little difference even when they are on the track. :p

12. A pm to you sir (ma'am?)

edit: Disregard...I think I've got it.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Turbo, I'd like to try and pin some sort of positive hopes on Indy Car remaining relevant
    during their absurdly long off-season.

I watched the Sonoma Finale event. The racing is (and has been) decent, especially
    Rahal's charge up through the field to second and challenging Pagenaud at the end
    and some of the duels further down the order.

It's just really hard to get excited about those ugly cars. Even with all that down force
    and high speeds through the turns, they're just crazy looking. Remembering back
    when Indy Car originally announced these aero kits for the DW12 cars and thinking
    they would somehow streamline them and make them look a bit better.

Boy, was I wrong! They went in the completely opposite direction.

And, now what year are they targeting for any sort of substantial rules revisions, 2027?

BHW

14. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Supposedly 2020 a new rule book is to be issued. Based on past performance, that means another heat and serve product from Dallara. Coupling that with 33 more V-6 engines from current suppliers and you have "Crapwagon 2020" Somehow I don't see anyone getting the bloomers in a bunch on this. I think allowing the former CART/CCWS/IRL cars to the mix along with a engine rules package permitting people to actually build their own stuff would do wonders for Indy as well as the series. Highly doubtful but no the less it would make for an interesting mix.

15. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Any word on who might fill his seat at SFR?

16. What's "SFR"? I thought he was with Ed Carpenter.

17. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Newgarden's former team, Sarah Fisher Racing.

18. Right, 'fergot about her.Now my head's spinning. When did he leave SFR...I thought that folded...

I see no SFR in the standings. You've lost me. :confused:

19. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I didn't follow Indycar that closely this year. Maybe she did fold in 2015.

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Sarah Fisher/Hartman Racing closed its doors. It is considering a return if oil markets improve. Hartman Oil was her sponsor and the word is they have retained the shop and some equipment. If financials improve they may return next year.

21. Okay, TP. Don't you even start. I told you I've prolly forgotten more than...... ;)

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    With that said......do I get to see what is behind door number 2 where Carroll Merrill is now standing???

:D

23. Absolutely......as long as I can have Vanna circa 1987 give or take ('don't want no stinkin' prizes, just her ;)).... :D