State of affairs of U.S. racing by... | FerrariChat

State of affairs of U.S. racing by...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Sep 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks for posting. F1 and WEC are the only series (besides Ferrari Challenge that appeal to me... That will likely never change.

Robb

2. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its not just automotive sport that is suffering, *All* TV sports are in decline. Even the super bowl had lower numbers this year than last.

NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB are all slipping in TV market share, although the NFL is bar far the dominant base.

For me, its because there seems to be too much "behind the scenes" deciding. The ref's are determining game outcomes. In NASCAR, if a pending result is "less desirable", out comes a yellow to shake it up. This disconnect from the game/sport/race causes a loss of interest.

I like New Hampshire Speedway, I tried to watch the NASCAR race, but I could not follow the broadcast, the new flash and display four system is mostly unuseable unless you spend minutes staring at it and not the race. I had no idea what position the driver I cared about was in as I always seemed to miss the flash moment he was scored.

Sadly, sports are looking at the slipping numbers, and trying to figure out what additional gimmicks they can use, when the fact is its the gimmicks themselves causing the slip away as people are catching on.

I do not want to watch a tube frame RX-8 beat a neutered Porsche 911. I've been in both cars, and there is no freakin' away a street RX-8 would hold its own at all.

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    There are also outside influences beyond anyone's control, such as the economy, which have an impact on the sponsorship dollars going into racing. When those dollars dry up, the grids reduce, and only the most self-funded or established will continue. But, racing (at least the series and classes I'm familiar with) has also become far more expensive. An annual budget for the lowest class of GT has roughly trebled over 15 years. And, unless you have a favorable BoP, why bother (which is why several Porsche teams announced their early withdrawal from the remainder of the IMSA season)? And, if the highest forms of motorsports are having issues, the lesser forms have to be worse off.

Anyway, to say, "it's complicated," doesn't do it justice.

CW

4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

The SCCA National Runoffs at Mid-Ohio was very well attended, far exceeding a lot of professional venues. Grass roots racing is doing fairly well in all the regions.

5. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    IRL needs to ditch the spec formula. The Indy 500 needs to be great again if it is to stay relevant.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Runoffs has always and will always get solid turn outs. SCCA still does their best to dilute with too many classes and especially at regional level most the classes are lucky to have entrant or two. Regional club racing has also been diluted with NASA, PCA, chump type groups, and all the DE's. There might be more total racers and cars out on track, but each group kind of struggles locally.

7. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    The absolutely abysmal quality of TV coverage of teaching in America is reason enough for me to just give up and stop watching.

8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Boy, I'm not so sure.

I went to the last Nationals at Road America. It seemed to me there were more crew and racer's family than fans.

The racing was great, but not spectator attendance.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't know if the teams can afford it, but that the only way to revive interest, I think.

Spec series may be alright for lower formulae, but for the premium US single-seater series, it's not really attractive.

But I am afraid most spec series have killed the small entrepreneurs, and there are few chassis builders that have survived, bar Dallara.

Less regulations, more technical freedom may spark new interest in Indy.

When I contemplate Indianapolis, I look back at the 60s, 70s and 80s with nostalgia

10. "When I contemplate Indianapolis, I look back at the 60s, 70s and 80s with nostalgia"

One small/major correction works for me.

In place of Indianapolis, substitute racing... :(

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm guessing the real problem is racing doesn't come across on TV. It wasn't until I saw F1 live that I got it. Watching it on TV, though, was a bore.

12. Nah-nah, nah-nah, nah-nah, nah-nah naaahhhh. We're talkin' about losin' fans period that used to love being there, watchin' on TV, listenin' on the radio, or even just readin' 'bout it weeks after it happened. (Hell, for that matter, TV coverage is much, much better now than back when.) 'Lived, ate, slept, and breathed racin'. 'Startin' not to care anymore 'cause it's not the same.

It's not the media, it's the product. :(

'Just glad to have enjoyed the good stuff...feel sorry for those that are just coming along.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're probably right; but watching Indy on TV is nothing like watching it live.

14. Understood. That's always been the case.

But along with not growing the fan base, the sport is losin' "us" diehards. I had (and used to know many others that did) a passion for the sport. 'Last race I attended was the last ALMS at Sebring and there were many there that agreed they wouldn't be back. I'm pondering getting up for F1 tonight or not. In the past there would be no decision, except what I was gonna snack on.

Useta' be we were discusiing or even arguing the racing, the cars, the drivers.. Now we discuss and argue about where the fans are. That pretty much says it all.

When and if innovation is allowed back in and there's no 'leveling" of the playing field, we'll be back in droves. 'Til then it's sheet.

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I think its losing people, because too much reliance is made on "social media" data gathering. And frankly - that is not the racing set. What goes on in mass with social media are your slacktivists that really do not care past a few minutes. Catering to this crowd thinking it represents all of us will result in alienation from the real fans that prefer the real world.

Consider a was up and coming NASCAR driver got a full season suspension over a tweet about airport security. A cookie cutter mold is being shoved on both driver's and cars. Indeed it does cause a loss of interest. I also find the media coverage is falling drastically of sporting events. No longer can I find well written articles from the main page of NASCAR. Instead its a bait and click title with an auto-play video commercial followed by a lead in animation that might be longer than the actual clip itself.

I think if I lived closer to Indy I might follow it, but as I rarely meet team members or drivers from that series, its harder to follow. I've met more F1 drivers than I have Indy.(If you exclude NASCAR crossovers).

16. I get your points but I don't think the major majority of fans of any sport determine that sport by whether or not they meet members of the teams or not.... I know none of my friends or acquaintances do. We enjoy the product, the sport, not the social nuances.

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The incessant search for "parity" or "a level playing field" has made racing boring. It has become about the "personalities" as opposed to the cars. This is indisputable in NASCAR and Indy Car, and is just about there in F1. This is by design. The celebrity culture has been leveraged by marketing and is more appealing to most people than the equipment.

The constant fiddling with the rules in F1 hasn't helped. I assert that if you think the current tire rules are a good thing, you're more of a management enthusiast than a racing enthusiast. Mandated pit stops are an artifice. F1 is a team sport until the red lights go out. Then it isn't. Or at least it shouldn't be.

18. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Already had a discussion with GK. His views similar to my own. Unti we get back to the true roots of racing....its on its way out. "Spec" isn't cutting it!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I never said anything about spectators. It has a great participant attendance. Runoffs use to be on national TV, but no one watched the show except the participants. Only reason Speed filmed it was an exchange related to SCCA Pro.

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    someone does a live broadcast stream of the runoffs with the usual TV commentators. might be fox sports or the motor trend YouTube channel.

21. "Runoffs use to be on national TV, but no one watched the show except the participants. Only reason Speed filmed it"

I weren't a participant but I thoroughly enjoyed (still do, 'got 'em on ol' video tape that I taped whilst at work). I spectate even regional/national SCCA at WPB Int'l whenever I get the chance. ;)

(btw, wasn't it SPEEDVISION? Yes. ;))

22. Agreed also. However, I do disagree with the fact that it shouldn't be a team sport after the lights go out. Why not? ;)

Turbo: You know we also agree. :)

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    True sports car racing enthusiasts knew that some of the best talent and racing was at Runoffs. Most of those guys are on a budget and do it for the love of it, they put everything they got into being a good driver. Always said the average talent at Runoffs higher than "pro" racing when you factor all the buy a ride older rich guys.

24. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    What personalities? They are as boring as dry toast. Foyt, Bobby Unser,etc.....now that is personalities!

As for the rules....welcome to a participation trophy kinda world. They are why the world we live in is going right to the bottom of the toilet. Individuality is a dying breed.