Ferrari in Formula E | FerrariChat

Ferrari in Formula E

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, Nov 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne has outlined the requirements for a possible Formula E entry in the future

2. How does that work? I thought all the cars were spec. Ferrari? Runnin' somebody elses build?

Blasphemy!!! :eek:

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  5. #6 lorenzobandini, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    No audience, spec series with no development, WHY?

Unless of course, the latter isn't true and they can develop new tech and use it in the series.

They'd be better of joining NASCAR.

7. 'get approval, slap some headlight/taillight and grill stickers on it....

Oh wait...does Ferrari have a pushrod V8 in production....? :D

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Does Toyota?

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What Toyota has a pushrod v8? The only production vehicles that even have a v8 are the SUVs and trucks (unless you are counting Lexus). They all use a 32 valve DOHC v8.

10. I have to admit, they're not "production" for us consumers, but if you raced in NASCAR, they're available. They hafta be. Know thy rules... ;)

You don't think NASCAR is lettin' 'em use 32v, OHCers now do you? (nor would Ford, GM, or Chrysler, for that matter).

I have no "credentials", but I also don't take a stand unless I'm pretty sure of what I speak. :)

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sorry.. I thought you were referring to production cars. I agree with what you said.

12. I wuz, and, I wuzn't. 'Werent' exackly clear fer sure. I just been around the stuff so long the stuff just flows second nature like. Then again, NASCAR could allow sumpin' out of the ordinary with the right set of parameters and I might not know it 'cause I don't follow as close as I used to. Hell, it only took 'em thirtyish years (after it was pretty much standard fare) to use fuel injection.

All's well on the declining racing front. :)

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Audi is leaving LeMans for E, crazy

I hear Jag going E too.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What is there to prove when you have won Le Mans 13 times, almost consecutively?

Formula E is a new challenge, and more relevant to future car production.

15. But it's boooorrrriiiiinnnng.

'Til there's a battery that will last3-500 miles and can recharge in 5 minutes (as in a refeill of gas), electric ain't gonna meet our needs so there's still gonna hafta be an internal combustion/KERS system anywho; otherwise known as Hybrid. So, how aboot F1? :)

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am sure that from en engineering point of view, developing electric car technology is fascinating.

From a car manufacturer point of view, it makes sense to back a new electric formula since soon or later, they will be compelled to produce only electric cars.

From a driver's point of view, it's a new technique to master, requiring different skills.

I agree that the present Formula E format isn't very exiting, but it's only the beginning. With time, it can become like F1, I am sure.

IMO, instead of 1 long race at each GP, they should have 2 or 3 short heats instead, and recharge during the intervals.

Also, they should race on proper tracks instead of temporary circuits in towns.

Huge progress are made in batteries: improved range, cordless charge, lighter weight, etc...

I must say that I am a new convert to electric cars (my son has one in Sweden and swears by it), and my next car will probably be hybrid, but I may consider an electric car in town.

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The battery packs in my RC car I raced 10 years ago are more advanced than what Formula E uses. Its a dead end spec series. Its a mystery why manufacturers want to join, unless there is some form of behind the scenes coercion going on. "You join Formula E, and we'll make legislation a little easier on your company."

Formula E is not letting the manufactures involved develop any technology. In fact, NASCAR has more development available than Formula E.

Electric cars are great luxury items, I really enjoyed my racing RC monster truck. The problem with electric cars as the future, is the technology doesn't scale well, its not just about developing better batteries, but developing batteries that their sources are not harmful to the environment. With petrol powered cars, in the USA, its mostly C02 that is absorbed by our plant life. With electrics, its opening up and exposing parts of the ground better left alone, as the mining efforts can do horrible things to the ground water.

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Every year there is already and there will be more freedom to develop each team's own solutions but at the same time F1 becomes more and more electric. Interesting to see which one will survive better and which one manufacturers will prefer.

19. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Why not hydrogen racing

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Becaurs "Formula H" sounds more like an haemorrhoids' remedy...

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The energy to make electricity doesn't have to come from the ground at all.

Never heard or renewable energy perhaps? Wind energy? Solar energy? Tidal energy ?