Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Racing & Tracking > Other Racing

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 AM
Enzojr's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West of PDX
Full Name: Tomy
Posts: 6,164
Screw it, at this point I am still in........just for the crashes and fights
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #82  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 AM
BartonWorkman's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: En El 305
Full Name: Barton Workman
Posts: 4,347
Segment rules explained.

Like others, I get half a paragraph into this and my mind bends into uncomfortable new
contortions.

We may just imagine the scene now in the paddock. Attending writers and photographers
are run out of the media rooms to make space for a bunch of newly hired NASCAR **** kickers
all sitting there counting their fingers trying to figure out what driver gets what points at the end
of each stage while the tens of remaining fans have to wait for them to figure it all out
as the next restart is further delayed.

The ensuing train wreck(s) begins next weekend.

NASCAR releases stage lengths and other race format details

BHW
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM
GuyIncognito's Avatar
Five Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: JAX
Full Name: Chas
Posts: 57,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzojr View Post
Screw it, at this point I am still in........just for the crashes and fights
hopefully NASCAR sees the opportunity to use the intermissions between segments as an opportunity for table and chair fights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tablechairs.jpg (52.5 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Enzojr's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West of PDX
Full Name: Tomy
Posts: 6,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartonWorkman View Post
Segment rules explained.

Like others, I get half a paragraph into this and my mind bends into uncomfortable new
contortions.

We may just imagine the scene now in the paddock. Attending writers and photographers
are run out of the media rooms to make space for a bunch of newly hired NASCAR **** kickers
all sitting there counting their fingers trying to figure out what driver gets what points at the end
of each stage while the tens of remaining fans have to wait for them to figure it all out
as the next restart is further delayed.

The ensuing train wreck(s) begins next weekend.

NASCAR releases stage lengths and other race format details

BHW
I am still trying to get "the chase" thing.......
Is it 12 or 16 cars in the chase, or did they change it again before I even figured that out ?

Last night I heard a rumor about a special special pre pre kind of race on Saturday, as in tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM
BartonWorkman's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: En El 305
Full Name: Barton Workman
Posts: 4,347
They're basically playing to an audience that isn't smart enough to figure out professional
wrestling and they wonder why their fan base is leaving?

BHW
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:44 PM
raider1968's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC Mnts & Asheville
Full Name: John E
Posts: 3,596
My Garage
Some times your message gets a little done - not trying to put you down - but actually some of us still do enjoy the 500 and a few other races - and I,m actually pretty smart - just once in a while like to see the thread without all the dergrading comments - but you have your views
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Jack-the-lad's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Isle of Luci
Full Name: Jack
Posts: 21,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzojr View Post
I am still trying to get "the chase" thing........
You know, I never did. I finally figured if NASCAR didn't really give a **** about a real championship, why should I? So I just took each race as it came, enjoying it for what it was.

Now it feels like they've even ****ed that up.

****it. I just want to see gladiators. Anybody wanna start a series where yellow flags don't exist, team uniforms are banned, and tires and fuel capacity are open.....any way you want to minimize pit stops is ok with us!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort Mill S.C.
Full Name: Andrew VF
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider1968 View Post
Some times your message gets a little done - not trying to put you down - but actually some of us still do enjoy the 500 and a few other races - and I,m actually pretty smart - just once in a while like to see the thread without all the dergrading comments - but you have your views
I think the smarter minds are phasing out, and its not just NASCAR.

Big Corp's are trying to "make it more exciting", by adding "randomness", when what really drives the excitement, is the skill involved.

By denying the reward of the skill with mandatory resets, excitement dies.

I loved it up until 13 cars in a 12 car chase, and its been downhill since.

I still watch and enjoy races through the year, but this elimination format causes me to do my best to ignore points/championship completely. I can't follow the series.

It has the highest raw talent level of any racing series in the world, its frustrating to see it wasted on a devolving system.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #89  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM
RedNeck's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga area
Full Name: Matt
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by tervuren View Post

I loved it up until 13 cars in a 12 car chase, and its been downhill since.
Luckily, Gordon's whiny ass isn't there anymore, giving Danica back the title of "Girliest girl in NASCAR"
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tervuren View Post
I think the smarter minds are phasing out, and its not just NASCAR.

Big Corp's are trying to "make it more exciting", by adding "randomness", when what really drives the excitement, is the skill involved.

By denying the reward of the skill with mandatory resets, excitement dies.

It has the highest raw talent level of any racing series in the world, its frustrating to see it wasted on a devolving system.
'Agree with all the above 'cept that last sentence. NASCAR has never had the "highest" talent level in any sector of the sport, be it driving, engineering, fabrication, or R&D. For starters, no comparison to F1 or Sports Prototypes.
I used to love it ('til about '85), still liked it ('til C.O.T.) and since then tolerate it 'cause I'll watch anything race...even human runners.

Maybe tonights Clash will be entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 02-18-2017, 06:04 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 469
</script>width:100%; height:250px" tabindex="1">
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartonWorkman View Post
They're basically playing to an audience that isn't smart enough to figure out professional
wrestling and they wonder why their fan base is leaving?

BHW
Huh? Figure what out? It's real and it's G-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!!!!

(just like where NASCRAP has gone and the rest following )



"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 AM
GuyIncognito's Avatar
Five Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: JAX
Full Name: Chas
Posts: 57,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzobandini View Post
'Agree with all the above 'cept that last sentence. NASCAR has never had the "highest" talent level in any sector of the sport, be it driving, engineering, fabrication, or R&D. For starters, no comparison to F1 or Sports Prototypes.
I used to love it ('til about '85), still liked it ('til C.O.T.) and since then tolerate it 'cause I'll watch anything race...even human runners.

Maybe tonights Clash will be entertaining.
Actually I agree with Barton, the depth of talent is better right now in NASCAR than anywhere else in four wheeled motorsports. People from every American and a few international feeder series wants to go there, that's where the best pay days are, and that's where you see the fewest funded drivers buying rides.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 AM
BartonWorkman's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: En El 305
Full Name: Barton Workman
Posts: 4,347
I do not (and emphasize DO NOT) take anything away from NASCAR drivers and anyone putting
words into my mouth (as it were) and stating that I am attacking NASCAR drivers is a serious
mis-intrepertation or simply an attempt to create hostility in our small ranks.

Anyone crazy enough to strap themselves into those bricks and go door-to-door lap after lap at
200MPH must be respected. I grew up in Sebring, all well and good enough, so my earliest racing
experiences were sports cars but I also attended a fair share of NASCAR races at Daytona and as
a kid was a big fan of Richard Petty and actively followed NASCAR until perhaps the mid-80s.

That said, the NASCAR drivers have no say in the rules and/or the administration of the series.
And, as pointed out ad nausea on this and other forums, the administration of NASCAR has
seriously gone off the rails with all these insane rules in what may only be described as an
attempt to kill the goose that has laid the golden egg.

Likewise, the heavy handed NASCAR administration punishes drivers and team owners whom
dare to speak out against them. We've seen it time and again. No matter how absurd the
new rules are, driver and teams remain mum for fear of losing their prime merchandise
selling spots at the tracks or being handed down fines or other such punishment(s).

Personally, I've stayed out of the fray in this thread as much as entirely possible. But, when
NASCAR comes along with this absurd notion that segment racing is going to garner them
a whole new audience demographic, it is pure folly and further erodes racing as a whole
to mere laughing stock which cannot be ignored.

BHW
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
Actually I agree with Barton, the depth of talent is better right now in NASCAR than anywhere else in four wheeled motorsports. People from every American and a few international feeder series wants to go there, that's where the best pay days are, and that's where you see the fewest funded drivers buying rides.
The best paydays? The top teams operate on budgets that a few drivers in F1 receive as salaries.
It's a retirement home for other drivers who want to continue racing from other series. To name a few: Sullivan, Montoya, Hornish, Piquet. What NASCAR drivers have transferred full time to other series?

As much as I knock those that continually knock NASCAR (one can always just pay it no mind), as always, I enjoy it for what it is because it's racing. I understand the lower technology is what it is and the round and round boredom is better for the unappreciative of road racing skill and visibility of the whole track. I can accept some things that aren't what I consider among the best. (NASCARs Grand Am lost me as that was just too big of a step backwards for me. I think, minimally, they're "headed" in the right direction this year)

I still love going to SCCA national events (though I had to miss last week's Sebring I was planning on) and that's not the upper echelon of racing by a long shot.

Again, it's all good. 'Strokes for folks and the like....
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 AM
GuyIncognito's Avatar
Five Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: JAX
Full Name: Chas
Posts: 57,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzobandini View Post
The best paydays? The top teams operate on budgets that a few drivers in F1 receive as salaries.
It's a retirement home for other drivers who want to continue racing from other series. To name a few: Sullivan, Montoya, Hornish, Piquet. What NASCAR drivers have transferred full time to other series?

As much as I knock those that continually knock NASCAR (one can always just pay it no mind), as always, I enjoy it for what it is because it's racing. I understand the lower technology is what it is and the round and round boredom is better for the unappreciative of road racing skill and visibility of the whole track. I can accept some things that aren't what I consider among the best. (NASCARs Grand Am lost me as that was just too big of a step backwards for me. I think, minimally, they're "headed" in the right direction this year)

I still love going to SCCA national events (though I had to miss last week's Sebring I was planning on) and that's not the upper echelon of racing by a long shot.

Again, it's all good. 'Strokes for folks and the like....
how many of those "retirement home" stars did anything in NASCAR? Hornish, Franchitti, Montoya, Sullivan, et al all fell flat on their faces. that says something about how difficult the cars are to drive, and how talented the drivers are.

as far as best paydays, there's 3-4 F1 guys that make the same level of money as most of the Cup grid. the rest of the F1 drivers bring buckets of cash to their teams
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 469
"how many of those "retirement home" stars did anything in NASCAR? ."

And the reverse? Literally "anything" regarding NASCAR drivers even attempting full seasons in any other series? Did you consider how the teams of the drivers that transplanted to NASCAR did in general at the time? None too well. (Roush used to be a front runner. The past few years not so. Are all his drivers crap? I don't think so.)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #97  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM
RedNeck's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga area
Full Name: Matt
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
how many of those "retirement home" stars did anything in NASCAR? Hornish, Franchitti, Montoya, Sullivan, et al all fell flat on their faces. that says something about how difficult the cars are to drive, and how talented the drivers are.
YES! Thank you. I get so sick of this pretentious notion that NASCAR drivers are on a lower tier than F1/openwheel/Sportscar/whatever drivers. I won't say that all those guys had top tier equipment, but Montoya was the most successful, and he was at the top side of mediocre and his NASCAR career was sort lived. How many other drivers were able to make a successful transition from open wheel to stock? Tony Stewart is all I can really come up with. Many Nascar drivers have raced pretty successfully in the Rolex 24, even this year with jackass Jeff Gordon pulling in a win. Michael Waltrip, Clint Bowyer to name a few more. And most of those guys also race dirt, bikes, offroad and other forms of racing too.

</rant>
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 AM
GuyIncognito's Avatar
Five Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: JAX
Full Name: Chas
Posts: 57,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzobandini View Post
"how many of those "retirement home" stars did anything in NASCAR? ."

And the reverse? Literally "anything" regarding NASCAR drivers even attempting full seasons in any other series? Did you consider how the teams of the drivers that transplanted to NASCAR did in general at the time? None too well. (Roush used to be a front runner. The past few years not so. Are all his drivers crap? I don't think so.)
what does that have to do with the price of pianos in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 02-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Enzojr's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West of PDX
Full Name: Tomy
Posts: 6,164
I am a nascar fan, there I said it.
When the green flag drops ANYTHING can happen, there are usually no "team" marching orders. I love watching a billionaire chew his finger nails down to his elbow as two of his drivers are trying to pass each other and win.
In other top tier racing, if you start in position 1-2-3, there is a 90% chance you have your podium people at the end already established.
I never understood a penalty in top tier racing for "aggressive" driving ???
Gee buddy that car cost us millions, we need rules to protect it......NEVER touch another car, you will get a penalty.
Other top tier racing is drink champagne, smoke a fancy cigar, have a well dressed (young) female with you and focus on being seen. I could care less who had the fastest time in sector 3 half way thru a race. Oh and bring your private jet or your 150 plus ft yacht.
NASCAR in baseball hats, tennis shoes and blue jeans.......and cheap beer, and I drive the 1300 miles with my best friend to see the race.
For $50 bucks I can almost get tickets for all 3 races in one weekend.
Besides its American
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 02-18-2017, 01:43 PM
raider1968's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC Mnts & Asheville
Full Name: John E
Posts: 3,596
My Garage
Hey guys, I had no intention of causing any trouble or dissention in the ranks - just expressing my feelings
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.