NASCAR in trouble - Wall Street Journal | FerrariChat

NASCAR in trouble - Wall Street Journal

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Hawkeye, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #1 Hawkeye, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    The current audience base is not attractive to advertisers. Or CPM (cost per thousand) to reach the millennial crowd is not effective in this event, as they're not really into motor sports. Like my two twenty-something's I raised - never any interest in my race cars or track events. They like virtual stuff - Xbox, Nintendo and other finger demanding activities.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, I'm not subscribing to see the article, but here's my take as a long-time fan with season tickets at Texas Motor Speedway:

1. NASCAR has made an effort to make the spectacle more important than the racing -- to the point that the race always feels fixed now. Let someone get a nice solid lead, and you can guarantee the phantom debris yellow will come out

2. Drivers are muzzled to the point of being boring. No more bigger-than-life legends.

3. Terrible car "updates" that have made almost every track a single-file borefest.

4. "The Chase" eliminates the value of 3/4 of the season. I cannot express the disdain I have for this three-stage nonsense this year.

NASCAR used to be my go-to on Sundays. Now I can't even tell you who is on the pole for Daytona. My buddy and I tend to leave the races by halfway, because they are just boring.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    did Brian France really sell his stake in the company, and if so to whom? I would think that would have been big news...and not many people/entities would be able to afford it.

I started watching NASCAR in the late 80's and watched every race for probably 20 years. now I don't watch anything but parts of the Daytona 500 and maybe a couple of short ovals. I think that sums up NASCAR's problem. core fans just DGAF anymore. I have no idea what would get me back to watching like I used to, probably nothing.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    A bad combination of NASCAR trying to make everything non-offensive (forbidding hard liquor sponsors, punishments for fighting, etc.) and the new generation being a whole bunch of ******* that think they can save the earth from itself.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Rules, rules, rules.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Product is boring, and silly rules killing it. They had a good run, but it's definitely not going to keep the momentum it's had.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    First, it may be assured after that scathing report, if the WSJ sends reporters or photographers
    to the Daytonner 500 that their credentials will be revoked. Anyone that openly dares to point
    out NASCAR's many flaws surely loses access.

NASCAR's issues have been covered in this forum ad nausea so no sense in rifling through
    the reasons that viewership by paying spectators and TV broadcasts has declined.

The NASCAR leadership, France family, have taken what made NASCAR a great sport with a colorful
    history initially and turned it into a made for TV corporate run shell of itself. We may point to just
    about any sport really that has been watered down for the sake of TV numbers
    but perhaps none approaching the level that NASCAR has.

The interesting analogy made in the interview was the NBA reached new heights during the
    Michael Jordan era, golf soared when Tiger Woods was winning, all this. That is well and
    good, but NASCAR's anointed one, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Jr. has been their highly visible and
    popular participant for over a decade and has failed to back all that up with championships.

Does NASCAR go even further with their nonsense to help promote Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Jr. to a
    championship to help drive up ratings? Well, they've bent over backwards to that end and it
    still hasn't worked out.

It all comes down to relevance. If NASCAR wants to capture the limited attention spans of
    a millennial audience, then they should can the nonsense manufactured drama, put cars on
    the track that they may identify with featuring real technology then let the drivers and teams
    go racing instead of constantly (CONSTANTLY) meddling with the formula.

Let's face reality, all of racing is heading towards a bleak future as the world changes (electric,
    hybrid and self driving cars, etc.) and the day will surely come when racing itself becomes
    extinct.

BHW

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Too many races, too many ridiculous scoring scenarios, too few manufacturers, cars too generic, drivers too scripted....not too hard to figure out.

11. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My wife and I still go every year to the race here in Vegas. I still like NASCAR and do not find it boring although the new format doesn't peak my interest but we shall see how it works out. I thought the Chase was a good thing and do like the play off format. Anyway one of NASCARS issue is they have made it too expensive for the people who like it to go to races. They filled in a TON of seats here with rock instead of offering cheap seats to the masses that would have gladly filled them for $10 a seat. I don't get why they shoot themselves in the foot on stuff like that. Most of my friends can't afford to do to the Sunday race which is sad. They have cut out a lot of the folks that (would) support them from going to the races. So then they loose interest, stop watching on TV, attendance goes down and you have the issues you have now. It used to be racing for the "good ole boys and gals" now its racing for people with money.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, well well...

Not so long ago, NASCAR was still heralded as the model F1 should follow.

It was supposed to have the right mixture of sport and entertainment, and look after its audience like no other motor sport organisation could do.

Some even welcomed Liberty Media's take-over of F1 as its salvation, and claimed that an USA company was going to show the rest of the world how things should be done.

So, reading some of the posts on this thread, I have second thoughts about the future of F1 if the plan was to mimic NASCAR.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

It may be so, that's why we better enjoy what we have now!

14. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Motor racing is *very* alive and well outside of the mainstream TV.

The mainstream TV is pandering to political views, and any motor racing shown has to play along. Its the political pressure from being seen by so many on TV that is changing NASCAR and F1.

The TV brings money, but its resulting in a weakening of product, especially for those in actual attendance.

As a TV F1 watcher, the hybrid's sound isn't worse then the(as heard on TV) dentist drill cars they replaced, but for the person actually there, the difference is probably much more dramatic.

Tillman hit on some very good points that would make a good starting position to turn things around. The problem, the worse it gets, the harder they will try to "fix it"; failing to realize the medicine they are giving is what is killing the patient.

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I went to Daytona for years - RV's then a Bus - stayed across the street from the track in our own special spot - things were great - then a friend of mine who owned the property we were staying on ran into a problem with Nascar in 2002 - he had a box on the back stretch that had a bar, food etc where he entertained business people and long term friends like myself - Nascar told him he was not important enough to have a box and took it from him! Wow, now there is not even backstretch boxes or seating or anything. Boy did they F up. Then they started races later in the day for tv even though 1,000's of people had to drive thru the terrible traffic, long drives home and work the next day. Then of course prices got really high and eventually priced people out.

They need to go back to the old days and let the drivers fight it out and say what they want.
    France is a mere shadow of the old Frances. It seems that the changes started when Dale Sr was killed in 2001

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not sure if we may trace NASCAR's issues to Earnhardt, Sr's death.

Seems to me, practically whenever Sr. won a race, he was roundly booed by the spectators.
    He was always one of the guys people loved to hate and he relished the "villain" role. Also,
    I remember the day of his death, he was holding up (blocking) the opposition allowing Waltrip
    and Jr. Jr. Jr. to romp away. Several times, the cameras would pan with Sr's car and he was
    flipping the bird out the window, giving an f-you to NASCAR or the drivers behind (or both).

But I digress, think really the issues in discussion here stem to the time when NASCAR and
    ESPN terminated their deal. ESPN all but put NASCAR on the TV map in an unprecedented
    manner. It seemed their partnership would go on forever.

But, then FOX and NBC came calling with boat loads of money for the broadcast rights and
    it is pretty clear that is when things started going off the rails.

Television money is watering down a lot of sports, not just NASCAR. The NFL is a prime example
    of how to ruin a product with massive over commercialization which has reduced
    the games to ho-hum affairs.

BHW

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #18 Whisky, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    1) They said the same thing about F1 - and somehow it was purchased.
    2) Ditto for me, I used to never miss an F1 race on TV - until we lost Senna.
    I got tired of nascar when they really started cracking down with BS rules, someone
    used an 'unapproved' 1/2 nut/bolt, they get fined $10,000. The one that pissed me off the most
    was when they banned Carl Long because his engine pumped at 363 ci, 5 over the limit, so they
    fined him $200,000. He bought the motor from a competitor - and that competitor even 'testified'
    it was over the limit, but still, they never rescinded anything. He was a privateer, so that effectively
    killed him from racing.

Well, first, I agree with everything you said, but if you go search my past postings, I
    have been saying this for over 10 years.
    And as far as credentials being lifted - they did that to me after I suggested they should
    pay me for photos they used that I took. And I was VERY reasonable, but instead they
    banished me. Problem was I didn't give a **** and just stopped covering it.
    A friend that worked in a support series wrote me a check out of his expense account,
    so I DID get paid, just not by the HQ in daytona beach.

Even if Jr. won a championship that would do nothing today, nobody under 30 knows who
    he is, unless you grew up on racing.

In 5 more years nobody on the street will be able to tell you who Mario Andretti or
    Richard Petty was, most folks already cannot tell you who AJ Foyt was.

Think about this: today, with the under 30 crowd, how many folks can REALLY tell
    you who or what Wilt Chamberlain or Joe Namath did? Gretzky? Howe?
    If Jim Brown didn't keep himself in front of a camera few would know how he is today.

No, as I have been saying 'forever', the digital age has passed it by,
    20 and 30-somethings just as soon sit home and be glued to their smart devices,
    and watching a 2-3-4 hour races ain't the things they are watching.

TV brought money in - to SOME teams. It takes money to win, it takes more money
    to be on TV by winning. It's nuts, and it's pretty-much over because there is no way
    they will ever be able to resurrect a new fan base. Not in today's world.
    As I have said a million times, TV/Money ruined motorsports.
    People would do (pay) anything to be on TV, and to be on TV a lot you have to
    win, and to win takes money, and money comes from... being on TV, not necessarily
    from TV itself.

They started in that timeframe, but not because of Sr's death, but just because his
    death coinceded with the time things started going downhill.

I think the only way to even try to resurrect it is to lighten up on the rules,
    let them run supercars, turn it into a speedfest, with the caveat that ALL parts
    have to be over-the-counter parts, no specialty one-off parts, and those parts
    have to be priced so low-end teams can afford them.
    The engine you qualify in is the engine you start the race on.
    No more 16 sets of tires, where the rich teams could change them 3 times in 15 laps
    if they wanted to, the set you are on has to last X laps (30? 40?) unless you have a flat.

There are a ton of things nascar could do, they just don't want to, mainly because
    they would LOSE CONTROL.

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Eventually, people want the best.

20. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    In motorsports, where is that?

NHRA....

21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Short track racing is exciting with lots of passing and lots of wrecks. Anything more than a mile long track and it gets boring. 1/2 mile ovals are the best, I use to race in ASA which was a feeder system to NASCAR, in fact I raced with Jimmy Johnson for 2 years. After his first Daytona 500 I asked him what it was like and he said boring. You put your foot to the floor and never lift and just try to avoid the big crash.

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    And when F1 was purchased it was major news all over the world. I'm not saying it couldn't or can't or didn't happen, I just said if it did how the heck did they keep it that quiet.

23. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    NHRA is curling on steroids. Currently the best racing is 33% of the SCCA Runoffs.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Agreed, NHRA. A race every 30 seconds or so. Frankly, as a long time NASCAR fan, and I mean since the later 60's, it's been all down hill since Dale Sr, died (though I was never a fan) and they started with rules for everything. And the car of tomorrow didn't help. And let's not forget the over exposure with every race on TV.

Today it's little more that IROC with 40 cars. Back in the day Daytona and Dega were the best races because they really put the cars to the test. It was a challenge just to finish running. Today, yes, they are boring. Start, drive around for a couple of hours and race for the last 20 laps. But I'm not a fan of short tracks either. A 1/2 mile track with 40 car sis stupid. It's just a moving obstacle course. I figure the next move for NASCAR will be autonomous cars. Oh well, time for my nap, I mean the Monster Energy Duel.

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Perfect for the short attention span consumers of today. But anywhere other than being physically at the track and it will get ruined as well by too many damn commercials.