You are known by the company you keep | FerrariChat

You are known by the company you keep

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by the_stig, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    So a few days ago Marshall Pruett of Racer magazine wrote a piece (Indycar Racing News | Racer.com - Hunter-Reay wins $3.3M suit against Gentilozzi) on the long-running legal battle between Ryan Hunter-Reay and Paul Gentilozzi going back to RHR's termination during the 2005 Champcar season.
    A follow-up piece gave insight into the details of the case and some history for Gentilozzi and his various enterprises and business practices.
    You don't have to dig very hard to find sites with plenty of anecdotes about Mr. Gentilozzi and allegations of drivers, crew members and suppliers often having a hard time receiving what was due to them. It sounds like a lot of Jaguar's supposed $9,000,000 went to lining pockets not running a successful racing operation for example.
    My problem with all of this is with Lexus and Scott Pruett. I admire Scott, I've followed his career since the first time I met him in 1986 during a test before the Miami Grand Prix. I have a lot of respect for him.
    I have zero respect for business men who don't pay people, break contracts, disparage people over petty matters and have an ego large enough that they think court decisions don't apply to them and will throw large amounts of good money after bad by endlessly appealing their lost causes.
    There is speculation that Lexus was declined by several major teams in their quest to establish a racing program in the US. Perhaps teams were gun-shy after the Chuck Goldsborough effort of over 15 years ago? Obviously Lexus and Pruett have strong ties and Gentilozzi and Pruett have been successful together in the past but I have to wonder how it is that Lexus let themselves get tied up with Gentilozzi given his past history and the fact that there had to have been teams with much better records than RSR. As the title says you are known by the company you keep and I don't see this partnership with Gentilozzi being good for Lexus.
    TL : DR - I'm dismayed to see Lexus partnered with yet another incarnation of a Gentilozzi run racing team.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sadly, there's very little in racing that can surprise me. but you would think that Toyota/Lexus could have found any one of their current NASCAR or former CART/IRL teams to partner with...or a more reputable sports car team...

as the old saying goes, the cream rises to the top, but so does the scum. racing seems to be the ultimate proof of that.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    It sounds, at least according to Gentilozzi himself, as if they pursued Lexus pretty doggedly. Maybe if the timing was different it could have been Alex Job Racing? Have to think there would have been several teams ahead of what morphed into 3GT if I had been making up the short list.

4. Many years ago (Trans Am days) 'formed a dim opinion just from reading about and seeing on TV. Nothing solid, just a "feeling".

A number of years back (Jaguar days) race morning aboot 5 am 'sat at a neighboring table in a diner in Sebring and overheard (couldn't help it, the bragging volume made sure of that) conversation that caused me to change tables as I didn't want to hear any more (what you don't know can't hurt you).

Needless to say, my dim view was cemented.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    why did you move? could have scored a years worth of gossip in one sitting :p

6. 'Just ain't my thang. I've got stories. I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie. ;)

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Whenever someone asks me if I can keep a secret, I always say, "Yes, but I'd rather not." Makes life simpler.