Is NASCAR in trouble? | FerrariChat

Is NASCAR in trouble?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by TheMayor, Mar 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is not a "hey let's pick on Nascar it sucks" thread. Clearly it's still the most popular form of racing in the US. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. This thread is not for you.

But the issue is it seems to be losing steam for years (since 2007). Stadiums are reducing seats (including Daytona that cut a whopping 40%), TV audience viewing is way down like 17%, admission revenues are down 7.4% in 2016, Monster Energy drink is the new title sponsor but are paying 1/2 of the price of Sprint did.

It you continue this trend you see where it is going. If there are not enough eyeballs then they lose the big TV money. Lose the big TV money and costs go up while viewership declines even further. That cuts budgets to the race teams struggling to get additional funding, particularly for the smaller teams. Increase the cost of marketing and advertising and profits shrink.

An 8 year trend line is hard to reverse. Are they in trouble?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not sure how you define trouble, NASCAR will be around forever, they will always make money, it won't be like it was though.

I wonder how any traditional marketing like tv, print, events, and signs can compete with the exact cheap online targeting. Besides the decrease in sponsor money I think younger demographics have more diverse interests and also less inclined to see events in person. More sponsor money going to online, all racing organizations facing huge challenges, less dedicated and enthused fan base = smaller sport, but a sport no less.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

But if you go back to the CART days of Indy, that was when it was at it's zenith in fans, popularity, ad revenue, and attendance. Drivers were household names. After the Indy racing league break up, the series never recovered. It's a shadow of itself now with only two major events a year (Indy and Long Beach). Extreme budget cutting keeps the series alive now.

Cut the budgets from TV revenue and you cut what the teams can spend. Somehow you have to reverse it or you become irrelevant.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    3rd party companies like our parent Motorsport are now the ones getting the benefit from internet marketing, all the content is just editorials covering results, testing, drivers, etc that the series create. Maybe the series can get more of that pie, but right now their thought is they like editorial sites like Motorsport because it does provide promotion although they don't get the revenue from it. Not sure how successful the series have been with their online coverage of races being able to switch camera views and follow data, that is relevant.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    NASCARs big mistake was thinking that an abnormal bubble in popularity from1995-2005 would last forever, and they built a business model around that unsustainable popularity.

I think as a business they're back to where they were pre-1995 in terms of revenue/ratings but with cost structures and profit expectations from the early 2000's.

they need to reign in content and costs IMO.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Do you think they have too many races and series? Watering down the product?

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yes.

need to eliminate the truck series.

cut Xfinity and Cup series down to 25-30 races each.

don't go to any track twice.

get the product off Sunday afternoons, try weekday races especially in fall when college and NFL football and baseball playoffs are going on.

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Yes it is.

It simply took longer to get to them. Continued "contrived parity" and gimmicks will not help the cause.Many of the opinions expressed here have validity.But getting those behind the fake wood paneled walls are the ones that you need to convince.

10. Recover to what? The IRL was never a major draw whatsoever. Thank you very much TG. Whatever iteration it is now ('don't have a clue; lost interest when TG made the split) is better (not much) than the IRL dream. At least now I watch; as long as I don't need a haircut or a nap or something....

The only reason Indy sold out this year was people wanted to be there for the 100th.

Things change. All of racing is hurting. Methinks the old love affair with the automobile that existed is fizzling in general.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    NASCAR got carried away with themselves at the height of their popularity. Then, the
    continual marketing and "official this" or "official that" of NASCAR licensed products started
    to be over the top. In short, shoving NASCAR down the throats of everyone in the country
    hasn't generated more viewership, in fact its likely had the opposite effect.

The number one rule of marketing, "Overexposure cheapens the product", seems to have been
    ignored deep in the fake wood paneled walls in Daytonner and they just kept on with the 24/7
    hype machine.

Then came this insipid "Car of Tomorrow and "Chase" stuff and things have gone off the rails
    ever since.

The interesting thing to watch during this decline is how NASCAR reacts. Rather than going
    back to their roots, they continue the nonsense with segmented races, points that really don't
    mean anything, throwing absurd notions/gimmicks against the wall and seeing what sticks week
    in, week out, etc.

And, my guess is now that like in all the other various forms of racing, there are people in
    positions of authority in NASCAR that know absolutely nothing about racing which is the
    number one problem in racing.

While NASCAR is still the 900lb gorilla on the block even with reduced viewership and revenues
    coming in, they're still performing at a very high level outside stick and balls sports. If they
    put something relevant on the track rather than these spec cars, that would be one positive
    step but there is no magic wand it seems.

BHW

12. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I think NASCAR's biggest issue was becoming a spec series. The cars (which were almost as big as the human stars) were identifiable....now...not so much.

Look at this video from 1985. You can actually tell what the cars are:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzCZKZcd4YE

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not to mention the endless, unnecessary yellows every time someone brushes a wall or spins into the infield without hitting anything, or that Goodyear can't seem to design a tire that doesn't get cut down 5 lap from the finish. For me, I'm tired of watching a race where a guy has a lead with 4 to go, be it 3 or 30 second, and ends up in 5th because of someone else's tire problem. I'd rather see the race end under yellow and the rightful winner take his place in VL. The GWC really ruins the race as far as I'm concerned. I never got why they think the GWC make the race more exciting. Don't see it anywhere else in racing. NASCAR should take the hint.

Plus, they are desperate for a new star/ Current crop of kids are too stiff. when was the last time the rookie if the year fulfilled his promise.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007