Long Beach | FerrariChat

Long Beach

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Apr 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anyone there? What's the weather?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I was there Friday and it was perfect. I watched practice of the indy cars and the CanAm cars. I only live 30 mins away and the weather here is perfect. Maybe there might be some wind for a very minor effect on the cars. I think the most unusual thing I saw was in the IMSA paddock where the rollcage doorbars are now a hybrid stlyized "X" bar. There was a move from the classic "X", to hybrid NASCAR, to Hybrid nascar-esque pyramid X bars ala european rally, to the new hybrid X. It looks like the carbon fibre doors sandwich bumper crash foam. These doors are really slick and remove easy for crew access to work on the cars.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  4. A little late, no? :confused:

The race was run 19 hours ago.... ;)

(And prior to the race, I was askin' for someone on the grounds)

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    A nice result for Honda, unlike F1 . . .

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Uhm, no, the answer to your original question was posted at 1:19PM, just about three
    hours before the start of the race.

And, the information easily found with an Internet search where there are about three
    dozen weather sites to choose from.

It seems there is just no winning with some people.

And, you're welcome.

BHW

7. 'Cept for the Andretti cars...

8. #8 lorenzobandini, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Uhm, yes.

Again, your answer was today. The weather I was curious about was yesterday... I wanted to know from someone firsthand what it would be like for IMSA.

Thank you very much, though, for your useless reply. 'Truly appreciated. :p ;)

("It seems there is just no winning with some people."....I know exactly what you mean.... Pretty often, it's when a fragile ego is in such a hurry to discredit someone, they don't even get their facts straight, if at all....)

9. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Good to see Marco doing well.....again!

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That harpin is such a cluster****. The end of the IMSA race was really pretty sad.

Saw during the PWC race a fire hydrant broke and flooded part of the track. How does that happen?

11. A Mario the rest of the Andrettis have never been, driving or personalitywise (tho' he was known to break a number of race cars also...) :)

They surmised during the show it may have been a truck ('could have been another vehicle for that matter) that hit it. Nothing too amazing. 'Seen it happen before.

12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Indy race was boring. I'm not sure what Will Power was thinking on the first lap when he made contact with Charlie Kimball. He didn't have the corner and it's the first lap of the race.

IMSA race was pretty damn exciting. I felt bad for the #3 Corvette losing out in the last corner on the last lap like they did. I'm not a huge Wayne Taylor Racing fan (simply due to their dominance), but there's no denying the fact that the team is on fire and that was one hell of a drive to win.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Okay, so why did Andretti lose three cars to mechanical woes when the rest of the Hondas ran fine? What do they not know that everyone else seems to know?

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    or the opposite, they got parts/software from HPD nobody else got and it backfired?

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I haven't paid attention to Indycar in many years (or ever?) but am a religious F1 junkie. (I love the Long Beach track--I drive it often on iRacing in a Lotus 79....talk about a wonderful layout).

So during the Chinese GP aftershow, they showed some footage of the Indycar race at LB...my god the cars have gotten crazy looking--and not really in a good way--with aero spoilers over the rear tires and crazy stacked rear wings....

Wow......a far cry from 1993 that's for sure...

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

If you had looked at the link yesterday it would have given you yesterdays weather. You look at it today it gives you todays weather, you look at it again tomorrow and it will give you tomorrows weather. No need to be ungrateful to someone trying to help you out.

17. I know all about weather sites. Thank you very much. Again, I wanted someone at LB to give a personal report 12 minutes before the race.. Often they're not the same. Just last week my sister called and asked if it was pouring here as that's what she saw online. It was a gorgeous day in my neighborhood.

I appreciate your suggestion though. Thank you so much for your input.

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LOL...not sure if serious...

Did you watch the race? Weather conditions are usually one of the first things they cover in a race broadcast.

19. #19 lorenzobandini, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed, the Indycars are a far cry from back then (CART) and look rather cluttered and silly.

I've been an avid Indycar and F1 fan since the mid sixties and can sorrowfully say the same about the change from the 90s to now for F1 also.... :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. You're not sure if you're serious??? I am. :)

No, dang it. Our FOX affiliate decided not to "air" it. 4 o'clock rolled around and we got a Lifelock infomercial followed by other stuff. All the better, I was more able to concentrate on my billiards. I see that it replayed on FS1 yesterday but I missed it. It's on again tonite/tomorrow morn so maybe I'll check it out. Already know the results and that it was a crash fest so it doesn't really matter at this point.

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You can stream it on Fox Sports Go.

Also, IMSA does a very good job at posting the full race broadcasts to Youtube, usually within 24 hours.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5PeRQU3sU&t=864s[/ame]

22. Don't you start in on me too, now. :p
    I know this!!! :D

I was at an, ahem, "billiard parlor" and only had the TV's, which I was lucky enuff to have changed to "supposed" auto racing (not a fan favourite in such places)... :)

23. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #23 kevin956, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The fire hydrant broke because of a street car accident outside the track. Apparently, the individual fled so guessing there was more to the story on that front. Doesn't sound like anything the track or the series could have done to prevent, but major kudos to addressing quickly and extending the window for the race to get more running in.

The last corner for the IMSA race was indeed a cluster. The Lexus certainly had no business trying to make that pass and ended up costing himself, the NSX and BMW finishes and robbed Garcia of a GTLM win.

I was shooting at that turn and the whole thing happened right in front of me. The BMW hit the wall within 5 feet of me. Here are a few pics - check out the marshall on the inside of the turn as he sees what's happening.

24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am not sure the Acura and the BMW were going to make it through there without making a mess anyway. I was also surprised to see the BMW driver exit his car while cars were still trying to complete their last lap.

25. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Give him some slack, he's old enough he was there for President Lincoln's inauguration address.

When you're that old, a few things can slip by...