2017 Petit Le mans. 'Anyone notice.... | FerrariChat

2017 Petit Le mans. 'Anyone notice....

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Apr 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ...how it's being advertised?

Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta - Road Atlanta

The claim is it is the 20th anniversry of the event. It is not!
    It is the 20th running of the race; 'only the 19th anniversary.

1998 - 1st running of the race, not it's first anniversary...

1999 - 2nd running, 1st anniversary...

2000 - 3rd running, 2nd anniversary...

and so on and so forth, 'til...

2017 - 20th running, 19th anniversary.

('Sorry, it's genetic. :))

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Promoters will take such liberties to hype their events.

Now that NACSAR is in charge of our IMSA, this should come as no surprise as this is the
    same outfit that ran GrandAm which proclaimed Scott Pruett to be "America's most
    accomplished sports car driver", flying in the face of Hurley Haywood.

NBD really.

BHW

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    This way they get to celebrate the 20th anniversary twice.

4. #4 lorenzobandini, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    "Promoters will take such liberties to hype their events.

Now that NACSAR is in charge of our IMSA, this should come as no surprise"

Yeah, I've seen it before by others; no surprise but it irks me (you know, my genetics...:D)

Anywho, 'ready for Russian GP qualy? I'm sure you know it's on CNBC, not NBCSN this morning. Enjoy. ;)

(edit: BTW, it's not NASCAR's doing...that's Road Atlanta's F***Up... I wrote them a week ago and have gotten no reply ;))

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Genetic ???

Thesaurus:

Adj.

1. genetic - occurring among members of a family usually by heredity; "an inherited disease"; "familial traits"; "genetically transmitted features"
    hereditary, inherited, transmitted, familial, transmissible
    heritable, inheritable - capable of being inherited; "inheritable traits such as eye color"; "an inheritable title"

2. genetic - of or relating to or produced by or being a gene; "genic combinations"; "genetic code"
    genetical, genic

3. genetic - pertaining to or referring to origin; "genetic history reconstructs the origins of a literary work"

4. genetic - of or relating to the science of genetics; "genetic research"

6. By Jove... I think you've gawt'it.... :)

7. We now return control of this thread to the topic of F Alonso to Indianapolis. The opinions, pro or con, make no difference. The "offended" and "offensive' have no bearing.

He's doing it and that's the way it is.

How he'll do, we shall see. Race on Alonso!!! :)

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Reminds me of the conversation we had here a couple or three years ago about how
    tracks stretch the truth about actual crowd sizes.

Sebring is a perfect example of how each year they'll report "record crowds". This is to
    ensure that they may charge sponsors ever increasing rates to pad their bottom line. Sebring
    will hype up the numbers taking into account the crowds that begin arriving on the Wednesday
    and rolling them over each day through the weekend, (bingo!) 200,000 people.

This practice has been going on for a long time now. So, back in the early 00's during the
    height of the Panoz ALMS era a writer came up with a mathematical formula for squeezing
    200,000 bodies into the facility at Sebring taking into account the actual physical acreage of SIR,
    minus things like how much space is taken up by the track itself and other aspects.

It was a great article as the writer took a lot of time to figure all this out (wish I could find
    the link to the article now) but the gist was that in order for Sebring to host 200,000 people,
    they'd have to be squeezed in like sardines, standing on each others' shoulders four high
    across the entire area designated for spectators.

The point is, tracks will take certain creative license to promote their events. Over reporting
    crowd sizes and "anniversary" events are always a solid way to build excitement and boost
    ticket sales.

BHW

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Just like the new Millenium was celebrated on 1st Jan 2000.

The new Millenium in fact started on 1st Jan 2001.

But a round figure was more catchy to promote the celebrations worldwide, so the organisers took some liberty with the calendar, and the majority of people didn't notice anything!!

10. Uh-oh. Here we go again.

When did the first millenium begin then? January 1, 0001?
    No. It started Jan. 1, 0000. It ended Dec. 31, 0999.
    2nd mill. started Jan. 1, 1000; ended Dec 31, 1999. Thus, this one started Jan 1, 2000 ;)

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Which would all make sense if there had been a "year zero." There was not. You need to add one year.

Will it make everyone feel better if we call this the first anniversary of the nineteenth running of Petit Lemans?

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If I only told you how many years my wife has been 42.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    42?

amateur.

she's supposed to be stuck on 39.

14. Wait....I thought it wuz s'posed to be 29....? :p :)

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Surely the first millennium finished on the last day of 1000, and therefore the second millennium started on January 1st 1001.

16. Humour: So I was actually only one year old on my second birthday? In other words, my first year actually took two?? I'm one year younger than I've been thinking all these years??? EEK!
    I'm so confused.... :confused:

On a serious not, for those that don't like me messing up a thread (oh, wait, this one's mine...) with my humour, I really didn't know the first millenium started with 1000. ('never was into history)
    Again, seriously, why didn't whoever established the calendar begin it at zero?
    To me, Jan. 1st,1000 implies there were 1,000 years previously...

(humour alert...)..........................................................:pullingHairOutOfHead!!!:

:) :) :)

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Didn't Indy milk the "100th 500" twice? Once for the 100th anniversary of its inception and once for the 100th running of the 500, if I'm not wrong.

18. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Three years for Indy I believe. 100 years for the track, 100 races (breaks in there for WW's 1 and 2) and then a year in between.