What's the story with Wicked MotorWorks? (Porsche's on ebay) | FerrariChat

What's the story with Wicked MotorWorks? (Porsche's on ebay)

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by TG, Sep 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #1 TG, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've always wanted to know.. what is the deal with this company? They put out some cool Porsche's, but why does every single one of them have a salvage title? And it's not like they are selling them for less. One time I read the full description (20k+ words) in the auction page and it mentioned nothing about the title or why it was salvage.

There is an auction right now for the "1st 2008 997 Twin Turbo S Cabriolet" but it really is a 2006 TT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-LK-Interior-2008-Porsche-997-Twin-Turbo-S-Cabriolet-1st-in-World_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10156QQihZ018QQitemZ280151820926QQtcZphoto

What the funk?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. blackforestauto

blackforestauto Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My understanding is that most of their cars are actually insurance "totals" that they acquire at auction, hence the salvage titles. They then "add value" by doing their rebuilding/rebodying/restyling thing. Kind of an interesting niche, actually, though there's another whole conversation about salvage titles and their implications.

If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me...

3. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I'd be interested to know more, some cars have Salvage title for reasons that seem minor to where I'd actually give it a second thought... *I think*

4. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Could be cars damaged during transport, factory buybacks, factory test cars, etc. Maybe they purchased the inventory from a Porsche store destroyed by Katrina.

Of course, they could also be cars that were hit by trains, blown up by the mafia, driven off cliffs, or chopped up by thieves.

Send them a question asking about it.

5. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Seems like all of the cars they sell would have to be purchased cash, but a cash buyer doesn't seem like someone who would buy any of their cars. A very small market and a tough sell.

6. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I doubt they would even answer the question, they'd probably give you some BS reason and ask you to come and visit their location for a "demonstration".

I wouldn't buy one, especially with all the dozens of fibreglass, stickers, spoilers, and glue-on parts. After 5 years it will be falling apart at the seams.

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    German rice, to me.

Salvage title cars rarely have small problems. I have seen a few cars totaled out that had particularly expensive (but minor) repairs needed. A hood on a Viper is $18k or so retail, doors are $4500, sidesills are $2k each. Take a car that had a light hit to the hood and door, and with labor you are easily at $30-40k to fix it, even with zero structural/frame damage. The insurance may total it. Likewise, I believe engines in cars like the CL600 are $65k+? Take a $150k car that got wet and popped a motor, and you're at $80k+ to fix it. Probably a total.

Then again, take cars that were absolutely demolished in an accident. Like the Lambo that was literally burned to a crisp, and was being sold as "light engine fire damage". HA! Salvage cars dont tend to sell for *that* much below normal price because there is always a dreamer who wants the car and will bid it up to a bit less than new, but have a car that *looks* like its worth a lot more. I would tend to think sticking wings and crap on the car only adds to the allure for this buying group.

Personally I would have no problem buying a salvage title car under three conditions. First, that I knew exactly why it was salvaged along with pictures and a complete repair history of what was fixed. Second, that I was able to do an extensive inspection of the car. And three, that it was purchased "right" (i.e. at a price that makes the deal work).

8. porsches4me

porsches4me Rookie

Jul 4, 2015
    Wicked Motor Works, The WORST Works!!!!!!!!!! The worst experience, the worst service, the worst quality, and the worst job, completion I have ever experienced in my life. These guys know nothing about Porsche's, its a miracle they are in business. Do yourself a huge favor, RUN!!!! Save your time, and your money, and your frustration, and Google another Porsche place. You will thank me later, and if you don't you will find out the hard way, don't be a fool like I was. Wal Mart knows more about Porsches than this place, and they would do better work! I have to get the work all redone with someone who knows at least 1% about Porsches, like a place in Torrance, CA, or Vista, CA, or Fremont, CA or any Wal Mart. GOOGLE ANOTHER PORSCHE PLACE, unless you want to ruin your car, and I don't think you want to ruin your Porsche like these guys did to mine!!!!!!!!!

9. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark

Now that's a happy customer! sorry to hear you had a bad experience- that kind of crap can hurt.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Very hard to get tags and insurance on salvage title cars in some states. GA is one of them.