What is it with Porsche and ambitious people? | FerrariChat

What is it with Porsche and ambitious people?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by DriveAfterDark, Dec 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Went to a networking meeting today with many young and very ambitious people. I started talking about cars with one fellow and when I asked what he wanted he just said "Porsche". This is the third time this has happend.

What is the connection between Porsche and ambitious people? Is it the marketing? Is it the word of mouth? Does Porsche really have that high status? Is there something really sexy about the 911 and Cayenne that I personally don't get? Don't get me wrong, I love Porsches, they're just too common for my taste... But this have me wondering alot.

2. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I recently read a news article about what one-word associations people make with certain cars and the people who drive them. For example, Volvo drivers are considered practical. For Porsche, the association linked to the cars and the drivers was: success.

I don't get it either.

3. ICEcap

ICEcap Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    Volvo = slow "safe" drivers.

I try to avoid getting stuck behind one.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Those in the know know that "alot" is two words - and they drive Porsches.

The difference between a porcupine and a Porsche is that with a Porsche, the prick is on the inside... (Can I say "prick?")

Hmmm... I drive a Porsche. :)

5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My girlfriend, at the time, were having a nice evening in my 911 cab and some guy in a truck pulls up beside us at the traffic light. We smiled and acknowledged him bc he obviously wanted our attention. He tells us the porcupine and prick joke.

My gfriend wasn't very amused. I prayed for him.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Porsche has high status among cars that are actually driven on roads. On the status "chart", the F430 would come above the 911, but F430s are tucked away in garages under factory original car covers while 911s cruise the fast lane and valet in front of the best places.

The Cayenne may have diluted the brand a bit, but a 911 is still the Rolex of sports cars -- everyone knows what it is.

And, as much as I find modern cars basically all the same (aero blobs dipped in paint), I admit the new 997 is a sexy car in the right colors. Not as much as the Aston Vantage, which is jawdroppingly gorgeous, but certainly up there.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think that's why people equate them with success...it is an obvious status symbol, more so than most BMWs, Mercedes, etc but also one that is attainable, at least more so than a late model Ferrari, Lambo, etc. So to the casual observer, a Porsche is at the top of the food chain.

unfortunately it also makes you the target of class warfare, particularly by guys in full-size pickups that have clearly never towed anything or gone off road :)

8. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    the 911 has always been the epitome of practical daily driver sports car.
    good, fun and efficient.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I for one don't really long after a porsche. Actually, that's a lie...I'd kill for a 993 GT2, I love the 997 GT3 (+RS) and the Carrera GT is one of my favourite cars ever built. They're slightly higher priced and harder to reach than the average 911 carrera 4 ambitious people long after. In my experience they just want one because most people associate the 911's (regardless of what model) with success, and they want to be seen in one because of that.

When I was still in school someone I knew (the usual prick wearing the fake rolex, fake hillfiger stuff etc) got dropped of in a 1998 996 carrera 2. IE a 15K car (if that?). Immediately everyone thought he was the shizzle and rich etc.

I lol'ed a little.

-

Just to say, I do appreciate people longing after a 911 because for many actual enthusiasts its a real dream car, and I can understand it as well as they're good cars. I just don't like it when they're liked for the wrong reasons.

10. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #10 Mark(study), Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    I always thought the "looks" of Ferrari/Lambo where so head-and-shoulders above Porsche. But Porsche allows you to use it everyday without causing unwanted attention. Park anywhere, leave the car without worrying. Its a cool look, but still blends in enough to make the car 100% functional as a daily driver.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I never wanted to get married, and I wanted to drive a flashy exotic car. I thought married people with a Porsche were stupid.
    Funny, now I'm in my 40's, I love being married, and Porsche has become more appealing to me, because I don't need all the attention from the wrong kind of people any longer. I just want to drive and be left alone.

This falls under the category of... if you see a lot of successful people doing something a certain way.... there is probably a pretty good reason. (watch-out there's a 80% chance you're next) They took me kicking and screaming, but now I see the point :D

I have one very successful friend who has owned over 20 Ferrari's, he's now driving Porsche. (I think he's burned-out on taking care of Ferrari, and dealing with all the small issues that need constant attention). Or maybe he's just done it all, and now moved on? He just wants a "no-effort" car so he can focus on other hobbies in his life.

When I was younger and had a 308, and I was always in the wrong car! I'd pull-up next to some hot chicks and I'd be driving my beater car....because it was raining, or I was going to a place with bad parking. It happened every time. LOL

Porsche is the one-car-solution for busy ambitious people, who don't have a lot of time to invest in their motoring hobby.

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    some of the Italian cars do look better, moving or sitting still.

but i tell you, after owning all the cars i have had ( see my profile) a 911 is a car YOU CAN DRIVE. people are less likely to key it, spit on it, or even notice it, and you can have fun with it at normal speeds on public roads, without any issues. i have had 2 of my 5 911's show over 150,000 miles on the clock, and they had only had valve guides and seals done. not many 308s and NO v8 lambos can make that claim, without having to have extensive engine and trans axle overhauls. i will have more Ferrari's, its in my nature. but a 911 is a "fun" and useable car. 84-89 being my fave. but i am a gearhead, and no a " pushy " guy.

12. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    Dunno what I'd buy if I had the cheese. Maybe one of each. I love both brands, AND Corvette. Not likely to become a pressing issue anytime soon. Unfortunately.

13. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    #13 MD911, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    Any car can be liked for the wrong reason. Many buy Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, AM's etc to show. Many of those same owners have no clue about the car's engineering or design, they just like to wave the badge and name drop.

Porsche's aren't for the extroverted like a Lambo is. Lambo's are loud and brash on the outside and don't apologize for it. Swoopy lines of a Ferrari is also somewhat of a 'look at me' exterior. The 911, being the same basic shape/design since the original...is subtle and follows a different philosophy. Performance wise, they can do much of what the loud L and F cars can do, but in an 'under the radar' way. I find Porsche to be about quality engineering with solid reliability to go along with the stellar performance. The 911, it is what it is, everybody knows it...and it doesn't need to advertise; much like a quality watch, it doesn't need diamond encrusted faces that are bigger than a grandfather clock, it just is.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That is the great thing about my Maserati GS.
    Daily driver like a 911, fast, more practical and roomy than a 911...but with the Italian flair and that amazing engine note!
    My Maserati gets about as much attention as my Ferrari Maranello, but seems to be mostly thumbs up...you are seen for being an enthusiast...not a prick...something porsche lost about 20 years ago.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned probably more cars (132 in the last 10 years alone), than most people on this board and that includes 4 Ferrari's 3 Maserati's and a Lambo, and no car I have ever or probably will ever own gives we more pleasure than my current 06 997S cab, now that car was taken apart supercharged and has close 120K in upgrades, it is fast as hell, runs like a top, has booster seats in back for my twin boys, and it still looks like a stock car. It is my 39th Porsche, and yes I am a gearhead, but also a true car lover. It is not the car that makes the ass, the ass was there all along.

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Man you saved the best line for the end!!!!

17. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Good question. Don't know the answer but I see the same thing in HK.

In this respect, Porsche seems like an upmarket BMW

18. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I am known as a Ferrari lover so I seem to suffer more than my fair share of harassment when I drive Porsche (which I do a lot). Can never really understand where this comes from.

I have recently stepped back from current Porsche to air-cooled and to my great surprise am receiving a lot of Beetle quips. I don't really think of Beetles when driving my 930 Turbo SE, 993RS, 993 3.8 Cabrio.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Young and ambitious??? Hmmm...my old boss described me as that. I would take a GT2 over a F430 or Gallardo. It would be a hard choice against the Scud since the GT2 could be a everyday driver without issues (i.e. blend in a little bit, but still look good). I've always liked the 911.

20. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You have apparently never seen my wife drive hers.

21. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    This thread isn't really about the car itself (the 911). We all know that it blends in, gives lot of driving pleasure and can be used every day. But that is kind of the car guys view of the icon. The thread is about why ambitious people lust after 911's. I don't get it. Perhaps people think Porsche is THE car to have to show that you have success in your business, but I just wonder why.

I liked the "upper BMW" comment, perhaps that is what it is for non-car guys.

I'm young, I'm ambitious and I'm a car nut. But I have never lusted after a 911 (except that I adore RUF, specially the CTR2).

22. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    The 911 IS an icon in the auto world. It is the standard other carmakers try to meet. It's not about showing others your success (that's what Ferrari's and Lambo's are for), it's an intrinsic achievement and feeling. The 911 has been a pillar in the automotive industry with it's familiar and legendary status/shape. The 911, in its many configurations have won many different races from rally to road. It's quality, it's iconic, it's got a badge, it's got pedigree, it's got power, it's got grace, and it's got practicality to boot. Translate that to business, and it's a good position to be in, to be good in so many dimensions.

23. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I know it's an icon, wasn't implying anything else.

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Maybe it is that ambitious but not completely successful people lust for Porsche....and the real winners drive Ferraris!
    Doh....yes I did!

:)

25. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #25 Michael B, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    Ambitious? Damn, I always bought my Porsche's (and any other make) because of the car that they are. I was not being ambitious (at least I dont think so) I just wanted the best model for my intended purpose.

Heck in 1985 I wanted the fastest domestic car available. I ordered a 1986 Buick Grand National. I drove it for two years and 75k miles. I got exactly what I wanted. Later when I wanted a Ferrari I had my two kids in mind, so I got a Mondial t coupe (four seats) and I got what I wanted. The perfect fit. When I wanted a fun car for my wife that I would never need to do anything to... I got her a late Boxster. That was about as anti-ambitious as I could be! When I watched the 24 hours of Daytona, then 24 of LeMans & 12 of Sebring etc., etc and saw the GT3 beat on anything that came close to it... I bought the GT3. It was/is exactly what I wanted. I wanted the car I saw dominate. Its perfect. Same goes for my luxo cars, and vintage stuff. They all perfectly fit the bill.

I can see people wanting Porsche's and having them as an ambition but some people still buy them for just what they do - and what they are. No ambition needed really.