2006 Cayenne Turbo vs 2006 Turbo S | FerrariChat

2006 Cayenne Turbo vs 2006 Turbo S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Piper, Apr 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have had two Cayennes so far, a 2003 S, and a 2006 Turbo. There's a 2006 Turbo S for sale out there in my favorite colors, and I'm wondering real world how big a difference it is. Is the 2006 Turbo S 500hp or 520hp? Do cat bypass pipes make the same difference on the Turbo S that they do on the Turbo? Differences in reliability? Any and all thoughts on the subject are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    #2 bbs911, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    2006 Turbo S has 520hp. Can't say for sure on the other questions but IIRC, they're basically the same car so I would suspect the cat bypasses and reliability would be very similar.

3. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    IMO you'll notice a bigger difference upgrading to a new non-S turbo simply because of the significant weight loss. I think it was somewhere around 500 lbs.

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    $$$ I only put between 3-5k miles a year on my cars. I just can't bring myself to buy new. I've bought a few new GM's over the years for family, mother-in-law, etc., but nothing high end. The reason this came up is because, stupid me, I can't stop surfing cars.com and autotrader even when I'm happy with my garage. I absolutely love the cayenne I have now, perfectly happy with it, and there it was...the exact same car in a Turbo S instead of plain turbo. I could trade out, extend and lower my payment. I wish I were the kind that could pay something off and enjoy the lack of payment altogther, but I know myself well enough to know that I won't make it that long. I always have payments and turn over cars every few years. Anyway, that's the deal. I want my same ol' used car payment. The turbo is 450hp. So I do the turbo S with a couple of bypass pipes and I should be at just under 550hp. The delta owed would be about $10k, so $100 a pony, which ain't bad. And of course that number doesn't matter since I'll turn this one over in a couple or three years for yet another.

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There are two ways I would go with this.

First would be that if the color of the new one is that much better than what you've got, go ahead and upgrade.

Option number two would be to take some spare cash and upgrade the current turbo so that it has similar HP numbers as the S. Then I'd upgrade to a 2011 Cayenne turbo in 2-3 years.

6. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    you can install a chip on the engine which will essentially turn your turbo into a trubo-s. the dealer can do this for you! i think it costs around $2K.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #7 Piper, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    The only difference between the turbo and turbo S is the ECU? Seriously. Okay, calling the dealer tomorrow.

You know, in minutes thinking this through, and I really could have googled that question and this one rather than postiing here I guess, is what am I giving up in the way of engine longevity by doing this? If it really is the same car, that takes all the fun out of upgrading. Sigh. I'll clean the carpets, bypass the secondary cats and try to forget about it.

8. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    +1- save your money. The new cayenne is a big upgrade- that weight loss is significant, and the car magazine reviewers loved the new turbo. To me, spending a lot of money to get HP from 450 to 500 is pointless in a car like this. We had a titanium edition which was great and a turbo would be better, but not for any serious kind of money- these are daily driver people haulers, not sports cars- a fraction more of horsepower isn't going to get me excited :) We only sold our cayenne because we needed 3 rows by the way- was a good car/truck but I'd only buy one with low miles used or a great great price new as these are just SUVs- very nice yes, but just SUVs.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We had the exact same thing. We needed a third row after our last child, and unfortunately my mother-in-law, came along. So my wife went from an 2002 S500 to a 2008 GL450. I shopped coast to coast for the right GL, found it in TN only a year old with 60k miles, half price. My wife does a mere 5k miles a year as well, and that's usually with one 1000-mile round trip to Myrtle Beach for the annual family thing. Zero reason to buy new, and avoid all that new car smell (chemical hell). But with my only other car being a 430, I need a daily driver, and I'm in love with the Cayenne. You're right that the extra HP will be meaningless. It's pure greed. I love the car I have now. It helped hearing that I have some significant HP upgrade options for this car. Really sprayed a garden hose on me. This car will last me another decade if I can just manage to control myself. I won't last that long, but I'm detailing her today and psyching myself into forgetting this new car nonsense.

10. jmm

jmm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The engine horsepower increase is not the only difference in the 2006 Turbo and the 2006 Turbo S. The rear track is wider and the brakes are larger, much larger. The ride is slightly firmer as well. It is not, however, "rougher," but more solid feeling.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just got off the phone with my local dealer. No vested interest. They don't have the car I'm looking at. According to them, the kit to upgrade the turbo is $20k, not $2k, includes the bigger brakes and some new increased induction stuff, different air filters, etc. Definitely not worth it. Not interested in an aftermarket chip update either. I may very well go through with this after all, turn my S into a turbo S and bypass the secondary cats for an additional 100hp.

12. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Well, even if you wind up doing no upgrades, a non-S cayenne turbo/430 combo is an excellent one!

I almost kept our cayenne for myself when my wife got a 3-row enclave, but sold it as I put the money towards a 360.

13. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just added a GIAC chip tune to a 2008 DFI Cayenne Turbo a week or so ago. The gent that owns it proclaimed "you made this into a new car!"

It was approx 500HP stock & I took it up towards 600 - but the big news is the torque. The chip flash shows 250+ Lb Ft added. I spent a lot of time with this machine & I can tell it it was a hoot. We pumped race fuel in it and with the race program it was mind-bending quick.

Now THAT is what you should do to any Cayenne Turbo. $2000 for non- DFI Cayenne's and $3000 for DFI units.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Do you have any idea what this will do to the longevity of the motor, whether it's going to run lean or rich, CEL's., etc? This is great info and gives me a lot to chew on. How did it affect your curves? Are you finding you have less off the line torque in exchange for more high rpm torque/hp? What's the downside?

I just detailed my Turbo, would have done it anyway as spring cleaning, and got a trade in value. I'm down more than the cost of the tune just in sales tax and transportation exchanging the vehicles.

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have been chip tuning for years. I am happy to give you an honest appraisal and thoughts.

I have some customers who are still driving twin turbo Porsche's that I added GIAC boost, fuel pressure, throttle mapping and advance curve to over 5 years ago that have had no adverse effects (at double the stock boost levels and constant power-on runs). That has some to do with the GIAC programming (intelligently done) but lots to do with the quality of the base engines we are working with.

As for engine life, I tell most all of my upgrade customers to expect up to 50% longevity reduction. Meaning that if the base engine would perform perfectly for 200k miles to expect 100k miles of modded non-issue enjoyment. Seems easy enough to accept and has not been an issue anyhow.

All of the GIAC programs are canned maps & curves set well within the safety parameters needed for drive-ability & reliability. Yes you can ask for "X" programs or "Race Only" 117 octane plots but in general they are not needed. These are good base programs that will impress and not disappoint. With a turbo car you gain low and high end. No loss at any rpm. Even the naturally aspirated programs represent fair gains throughout the rpm with no loss.

Downside? After years of this I have never had a recipient of mine complain or point out a downside. No CEL, No hard starts, No worn or blown engines. One BMW 335 with 60k miles had a upset wastegate from corrosion but that issue was not because of the programming. I now have the staff clean all 335 & 535 wastegate actuators so the possibility of that will be minimized.

Lastly, not being local to you I don't have any dog in this hunt, this is just an honest rundown. Check the GIAC website for a local vendor and they will take you from here. You will be happy I would bet.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for that. Question; since the stock tt S is mostly also retuning, does that mean the stock tt S from the factory could be expected to have a shorter life expectancy than a turbo?

Thanks...

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Totally agree. And love the Enclave, BTW.

18. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    these 2 vehicles are in my "stall" as we speak! both in black, i might add!

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, it really is a pretty perfect combo.

20. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dont think so. Porsche's stock twin turbo tuning is very conservative on all versions. Like I said, we are getting over 250 more Ft lbs of torque with the tune on the late models. They leave a ton on the table with the factory tune.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Okay, then is it possible to tone back your tune to not put it at the bleeding edge? Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your feedback. Really appreciate it.

22. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    I do not have any experience with the Turbo S but I have owned several Cayennes, 2.5 years ago going from a 2006 Turbo with 450 hp to a 2008 Turbo with 500. There is not a lot of difference. I would definetly wait to upgrade to the newer, lighter model.

23. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh sure. If you opt for the "switcher" you can have the stock tune, a 91-93 octane pump gas tune (safe), a race tune (safe with 100 octane), a valet tune (safe from dummies), and a anti theft tune (safe from thugs). All in one hand-held device. You choose your poison by a simple touch of the button on the fly. Nice 'eh.

24. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #24 Piper, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, sounds great, and may well do it. FYI, looks like I'm picking up this turbo S. Besides the S on the back, I'm getting the 70hp, better wheels, new tires which I needed, the better brakes, tow package, 10k less miles than my car, a minimal warranty I do not currently have, better leather than the already nice leather I have, some other custom niceties like logo headrests, and I'm going from a 6.5% loan to a 2.99% loan. Turns out I had some equity in my vehicle, so the delta for the whole trade, including taxes is only $14k and only $80 a month. F it. Why not. Going from the top one to the bottom one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    The color and rims look awesome! Anyway to get rid of that tow hitch? hurts the rear look of the car a little...

Good luck with her!