Porsche 911 Turbo or Mercedes CL63 AMG | FerrariChat

Porsche 911 Turbo or Mercedes CL63 AMG

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by [email protected], Oct 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I drove a 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo and Mercedes CL63 AMG yesterday. Both are great cars with tons of power! However, the Porsche 911 had the most spartan and uncomfortable seats compared to the luxurious interior of the Mercedes. I figure if I drive to work, the AMG Benz would be way more comfortable to live with. Even more so than the Maserati. I do still need to check out a low mileage Bentley GT and Aston Martin DB9 as a possible backup daily driver before getting into a Ferrari or Lamborghini as my dream show car.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Those are pretty different cars to be directly comparing. What made you think of them particularly? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    What seats did the turbo have?

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the CL series (big two doors) get HAMMERED in resale values.............

5. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    + 1

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I would think the AMG more of a true daily for most people. It's a modern day muscle car to me. The Porsche more for the fun aspect. Like above, I guess it depends on what you want out of a daily driver.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Pcar for the win....just can't compare the styling!

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I would guess the mb is signif less $

9. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    I would take the 911 Turbo out of those two. If you can afford a CL600 though, I would definitely choose the CL.

10. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    if you weigh under 180 pounds, the "sports seats" or "sport bucket seats" are a must in the 911.
    they are a lo cost option on the vehicle and are mandatory in my opinion.
    the sport bucket seats are less popular, but way cooler. they cannot be heated.

if the 911 you test drove doesn't have either of seats, try a vehicle that has them.
    you could replace the current seats, but aftermarket seats are a bit pricey.

11. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I definitely prefer the looks and power of the Porsche 911 Turbo over the CL. However for comfort and luxury the CL blows away the Porsche. For a daily driver, the CL would be more pleasant to commute to work. The Porsche 911 Turbo had the standard crappy seats which are thin and have a rock hard headrest while the Mercedes CL63 AMG has comfy wide seats that massage you and have both heat/cool functions and actually move to hold you in place around curves. I do plan to eventually replace my M3 with another daily driver but need to look at low mileage Bentley GT and Aston Martin DB9 first and drive these to compare to the Mercedes and Porsche. I liked the Maserati but it was WAY too slow.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The cars you are looking at (depending upon the year) are very likely very close to the cost of a used Ferrari or Lamborghini, and outside of the Porsche (which is a nice car and once turned to RWD an amazing car) the other cars are GT cars not sports cars. I have exerience behind the wheel of all of them and the CL63 is the hands down winner. The Bentley is too heavy (and feels it, not much interior space) the DB9 is amazing to look at and, the DBS is on my next to have list, but it is no quicker than the Maserati and not as well appointed, but they do come in gearshift. So without knowing your budget (these cars can go from 705K to 150K depending on year) it is pretty hard to give advise. If you want a gearshift sports car, buy the Porsche, if you want a GT Car get the Benz. Good luck.

13. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    @Carnut- thanks, I still need to drive the Aston Martin and Bentley GT Speed to make final decision. I may just keep the M3 for another 10 years, get a used Ferrari or Lamborghini and then when the M3 has 200k miles, get a Fiat 500 as a cheap but cool daily driver. I am also waiting for the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale to come out on the used car market- this may be faster than previous slow Maseratis.

14. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I recently switched from a 996 to a Cayman (briefly) to an E55 AMG as my daily driver. Although you may be considering cars at higher price points, I think the concept is parallel if not the same. Indeed, the AMG is more suited for daily driving duties. I enjoyed driving the 996 as a daily driver, in spite of its spartan interior and amenities. I do actually prefer its simplicity and I much prefer its driving dynamics than the AMG. I switched to the AMG for the usable 4 seats and quieter interior. I like to take passengers and the horrible worn out freeways in Seattle doesn't make for comfortable environment on a daily basis in either of the Porsches. Otherwise, I'd stick with the Porsches. Having said this, the AMGs are like modern muscle cars to me. For the street, they are fun to flog around.

As a combination, would you consider a Panamera? I drove one at a track during Porsche Driving Experience session. Great handling dynamics. I liked it as long as I'm inside it and not looking at its back exterior.

15. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I just saw that you posted as I was writing my previous post. I had a Fiat 500 for a few days and put about 300 miles on it. At its price point, it was a good candidate as a cool daily driver. I was going to lease it and took delivery of the car, but didn't sign any paperwork. I'm glad I didn't. I didn't like the electric power steering and poorly damped suspension. At freeway speeds with a taller truck/SUV in another lane slightly ahead of me, I started hearing wind noise off my window. I didn't think I could last driving such a car for the lease period. I wanted to like the 500, but it just didn't work for me. Hence, I bought a used AMG at the same Fiat 500 price point.

16. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    What's wrong with a Honda Accord for a daily driver to work? :)

17. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I have had bad luck with used Hondas so would never get one again. People abuse them and do not take care of them. Plus everyone has a Honda or Toyota. No, the AMG Mercedes are sweetest daily drivers next to Aston Martin and Bentley. I also may get a low mileage R8 if I can find one to test drive. Or just keep the M3 and get a Ferrari or Lambo!

18. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    Astons and Bentleys a not better daily drivers than the CL. The R8 is a phenomenal car. I had the V8 version when it first came out and I loved it.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Just one other small bit of advice, and once again I do not know your financial situation. I already did my Ferrari's, Lambvorghini thing, even had three Maserarti's, these cars can be a dream or a nightmare depending on how good an example you get, and Bentley's and Aston's (try changing an air filter in one) and no picnic either. I do not know how old you are or why a Maser GT was too slow (I owned one and where I live you are lucky to hit 50 on a rushhour commute). I was helping someone buy a car a few months ago and after he turned down one geat car after another I asked do you want the best car or the car you look best in? Someone mentioned a 996, not a bad car (I had three of that series) and the TT's can easily and pretty cheaply made into monsters. I'd still buy the Benz

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Was gonna say... the standard 997 Turbo seats are featherbeds compared to the GT3 RS/GT2 RS setup.

Of the two, I'd go for the Porsche. Either car is vast overkill for driving to work, but IMHO the Porsche is going to put its power to the pavement more effectively than the Merc (although I haven't driven the CL63 so maybe they've sorted out the traction control...)

You also may see better value retention in the Porsche.

21. My neighbor has a white CLK63. That is one bad car. In the long run, I would rather have the Porsche, but for the moment today that CLK would be really nice.

22. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Does your friend have the rare CLK63 AMG Black Series? That's one badass car! Anyways, will drive the Aston Martin and Bentley first before making a decision. Might keep the M3 long term and get the Ferrari instead anyways.