1995 Porsche 928GTS | FerrariChat

1995 Porsche 928GTS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by calder1, Jan 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #1 calder1, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Vin: WPOAA2928SS820125
    Miles:16653
    Exterior: Silver
    Interior: Silver
    The only 1995 Porsche 928GTS in the U.S. painted in Zermatt Silver
    One of only 47 automatics produced in 1995
    Well Equipped With
    Automatic Transmission
    Metallic Paint
    Leather Belts
    Leather Seats
    Porsche Floor Mats
    Rim Caps with Porsche Crest
    Head Restraints with Porsche Crests
    Heated Seats
    Seat Position Memory (Right side)
    Increased Air Conditioning
    Electric Sunroof
    Remote CD Changer
    Rebuilt Factory Radio
    Timing Belt and Water Pump service completed 2010
    Owner’s Manuals
    Tools
    Spare Keys

$95,000.00

Call Craig 310 937 6700

WWW.Tillackco.com
    WWW.FastCarsltd.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Nice car. But, is this a typo?
    $9500 not $95,000, right?

3. Boosted930

Boosted930 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rob Gordon
    I'd like an ounce of what they're smoking, please....

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Tough crowd.

It is a ~17K mile example of a Porsche that wasn't typically preserved as collectible, and IIRC the last of the line and best.

The price is steep, but $9500 is for a clapped out 90K-mile driver. Which this isn't.

5. sTyleR

sTyleR Formula 3

Jan 18, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Looks to be priced competitively compared to the other two 928 GTS' on eBay right now.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Buy a new Boxster S and save $20k.

7. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I think he meant that it's closer to $9500 than $95000 (tongue in cheek). It is the last and best and should be priced accordingly, but jeez, that's crazy money for that car. Damn, buy a F550 and still have money for the first major!

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I started a thread on the valuation of this car at Rennlist and apparently this is close to market correct (they were guessing $75-85k for this one). I was surprised to say the least.

the $100k GTS's are lower mileage, and/or manuals.

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My father in law just sold a higher mileage automatic 928 GTS, didn't get anywhere near this price. If he had, there would probably be a 997 twin turbo in the garage instead of an 03 SL55.

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    too bad its a slushbox....

11. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Agree.

Nice mint example though.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Is this Tony's car?

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

C'mon, guys... read the 'options' list...

Porsche Crest valve stem caps

Spare keys

It's worth every penny of $95k. :)

15. chuck z

chuck z Rookie

Jan 23, 2006
    OP: did you buy this car from Dirk? Would also appreciate credit for quoting the production info you did lift from my website........

It's always interesting to see how folks react to the current market prices of a low mileage 928 GTS.

It should be mentioned that I own/run www.928registry.org and have the other 95 GTS currently on eBay.

Couple facts:

Only 77 1995 928 GTSs were built for the North American market. Of the 77, 47 are automatic trans cars and 30 have a 5-speed. The 5-speed is far and away the more desireable option.

Porsche only built 406 GTSs from 1993 (there are two years of the 93 GTS as it was built during the 92 MY and the 93 MY). Of the 406 GTSs for NA, only 167 of them have 5-speed tranmissions.

The high water mark for a low mileage 5-speed GTS is $114,500. It was a 6k mile silver/black one owner GTS sold by Willhoit.

There are 3 or 4 others that have sold ~$100k over the last couple years. Few I know but, with the low production numbers there are few low mileage examples left.

I sold my 95 GTS 5M for more than the original MSRP of $86k in November 2007 and bought it back in March of 2009. I bought mine from the original owner so I'm the 2nd and the 4th owner.

The valuation books/sites (including Excellence Magazine) are far from accurate and usually not representative of what cars are selling for.

High mileage examples are tough to sell and rarely draw $ anywhere close to what these near perfect examples will.

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #16 JOEV, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    I definitely don't have the expertise to comment on the price, but a midnight blue/grey 5-spd GTS is a dream car to me. Just beautiful.

Willhoit appears to be the "go to" source for a 928 GTS (?).

---

another midnight blue 5-spd GTS? Wow. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-30-1995-928-GTS-5-speeds-13-3k-miles-Midnight-Blue-Classic-Grey-/160721432858?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item256bbe711a#ht_14646wt_1165

(don't know what I think about the rims)

17. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I had no idea these were worth that much. Not saying theyre not so dont shoot me :D Just unbelievable.

Chuck, know of any in Canada?

18. chuck z

chuck z Rookie

Jan 23, 2006
    #18 chuck z, Jan 26, 2012
    Willhoit has most definitely driven the market on GTS values.
    ---
    Well, that would be my GTS. Wheels are definitely a personal choice. I will say that I have gotten 8 emails from people wanting to know where I got them and what size they are....... Original wheels/tires included with sale.

19. chuck z

chuck z Rookie

Jan 23, 2006
    It's all about rarity and production numbers. The 928 was the first "clean sheet of paper" design for Porsche and with only 406 ever produced for the NA market, it is one of the rarest Porsches ever!

What's happening these days in Canada is, people are importing Japanese 928s. The restrictions on importing are different than in the US and it is relatively easy to import these cars into Canada. If your a 928 enthusiast it's a great thing b/c the Japanese cars were built in some really cool colors (again a personal taste, I like wild colors b/c everything these days is either black, white, silver or gray - how boring!!!) and optioned really well unlike most of the later NA cars.

There are a few NA GTSs in Canada but they are few and far between.

20. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's an extremely beautiful car Chuck - the rims are very nice as well - they just surprised me when I first saw the pictures. No offence intended at all.

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Wilanast from fchat has an amazing gts. The color, condition and history make it very special. He owns several very valuable machines but he might suggest the gts is in a very exclusive league. I will see if he will post in this thread. I am sure his car is coveted and NOT for sale. Ever!!!!

22. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#22 Kds, Jan 26, 2012
    There are more than a few GTS examples that come up for sale from time to time. I've been watching the market closely for a while now and if you looked over a 12 month period you'd find 10-15 listed for sale in a year easily in the US. You've just gotta be really, really, patient and watch the market. Obviously, folks can pay whatever dollar amount they want, for whatever vehicle they want, but you've got to be crackers IMHO to buy one of these things @ those higher prices. I'd never pay more than $40K for a good one, because I'd drive the damn thing almost daily 9 months of the year, miling it out, and doing that will eventually cost you $3-5K a year on an annualized basis over time............20 year old cars are not cheap as we all know, and 928's never were cheap to repair and maintain, ever.

I sold the GTS for 4 years when they were new (92-94) and had both a 5 speed and an auto as my demo at one point. I wish I could buy my 5 speed demo......it was Gloss Black on Magenta (full leather comfort seats) with matching carpets and upper dash trim all in Magenta. What a horny color combo.......you just opened the door and people on the street would fall over from the glare of the interior color.

Here's a 964 interior in Magenta with Rootwood trim.......the tint in this photo is perfectly accurate of the actual color.

23. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Thanks for the input chuck!

I too like the wheels you put on. Tastefully done!

24. chuck z

chuck z Rookie

Jan 23, 2006
    None taken. Thanks.

25. chuck z

chuck z Rookie

Jan 23, 2006
    If $40k is your limit, chances are it will not be a "good one"....... They are out there for sure but, the saying "you get what you pay for" has never been more true than when it comes to a 928. I've owned 928s for the last 20+ years and I can tell you that they are no more expensive to maintain than any other sportscar IF it's been properly maintained its entire life.