Porsche Boxster Spyder | FerrariChat

Porsche Boxster Spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ferrari#7, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    What do you thing of the 2011 and 2012 Porsche Boxster Spyder?

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #2 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    Lightweight, analog, open top. Great driver's car, probably the best one its price range.

EDIT: Upgrading the seats adds a ton of weight, something that contradicts the car's reason for being.

3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    PM your email address to me for a copy of an interesting Excellence article on the dynamic differences between the Spyder and Cayman R.

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I met up with Peter Porsche a few years ago & he and I drove a PDK and a stick version in anger. He ADORED the car & swore by it. I was happy with it too but came away underwhelmed (at the time I owned two Boxsters & a GT3).

Super fun car, but i was looking for something remarkable.

I ended up parting with the GT3 and getting a Stradale. Still have both Boxsters.

6. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I just posted on rennlist regarding my affinity for this car. It is my favorite production Porsche among the last three years worth of models. In the era of electronics and additional weight, I applaud the concept of the Spyder. I'm partial to 50s Barchettas/60s Targas, so the Spyder to me has nice aesthetics. Van Overbeek's review of it, my personal driving comparisons of the R and BS, and positive feedback of owners are enough testaments for me on this car.

Unfortunately, I find that it is hard to find a basic, no-frills spec. Most are loaded with options and go against the simple, lightweight approach. If I were to use this car as a daily driver, then the options are fine. Otherwise, I personally think it is better to get a vintage car for that no-frills approach.

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    The Spyder v Cayman R article runs eight pages, pics and text. Combined, they run about 6MBs worth of jpeg files.

If anyone's interested PM me an email address.

8. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    From Pete Stout’s sidebar in the same piece:

Ages ago, someone at RAC Performance mentioned that the 987 S chassis had so much reserve capacity, that one could drop in a 3.8 without changing suspension, braking and wheel-tire components. If that's true, then maybe, just maybe, a Spyder with the 997 GTS' X-51 3.8 DFI would still be a Spyder . . .

9. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    the "357 Speedster" also known as the Porsche Magnum . . . .

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If you want a drop-top Porsche, why not a 911 convertible?

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the new (981) Boxster S is a stunning car, and already a bit lighter than the 987 version. It seems likely that a 'stripper' version would be offered at some point, which would make the 987 version less desirable, IMHO.

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Apparently those are faster than the 356 version.

13. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Yeah, but just barely . . .

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That may be true. But, a 911 will always be more desirable than a non-911.

15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Isn't desirability one of those things where it only matters how desirable car is to the owner? I wouldn't buy a car based on the next owner's preferences. I say buy what you want and have fun with it.

Mark

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree with Mark. I like the 911, but money aside I'd rather have a Boxster/Cayman.

17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I've never heard or read anything about a modern Porsche that comes close to what I excerpted from Stout's review of the Spyder. Even the mighty 4.0 doesn't get praised for the sort of handling characteristics people go on and on about when talking about this unique 987.

The car isn't just lightened. Its suspension tune gives away some of the seemingly endless range of PASM for more directness, feel and neutrality. Towards that end they went with an analog suspension, the same approach that endows Rufs with their incredible handling

The decision to focus the Spyder in this way makes it a truly unique car among modern Porsches. I just hope they offer a similar option with the 981s, hopefully sooner rather than at the end. (No way they offer a 3.8 option . . .)

18. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Drove 2011 Spyder, was really impressed how lightweight and powerful it felt. Top design is horrible, would never be able to live with it here in Virginia.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Agree. Here a shower can sneak over the mountains without warning. Have been known to put the top up while driving (<30 mph). Plus I would not feel comfortable leaving the top down for over an hour in public places. It's easier to put the lockable official Porsche car cover on. I really like the power top on my Boxster S. Won't five it up.

The Spyder really looks great but doesn't suit my needs, The car is lower and with so many speed bumps/dips it is just too much of a hassle.

20. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #22 jvmax, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    something like only 840 made for the us market 2011-12. Top is not as hard as most people claim, especially here in FL in the rainy season. Yes I own one, most were ordered from the factory with sport seats, not the lightweight Bucket seats. And only a handful ordered without a/c. I have to say most people who see this car do not know what it is and think its some kind of exotic. One of the only convertibles I know that look great top up or down
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #23 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    evo#188 listed the 44 contemporary cars that may well become future icons (contemporary = sold new over the last 15 years, which is how long evo has been published.) They then took ten of these cars and ran a comparo. Here's the entry for the Boxster Spyder. The entire piece was written by Meaden:

This was, far and away, the most enthusiastic, most revering commentary of the lot.

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Boxter Spyder is the only model from Boxter 'family' that i would buy without second thought.

Very beautiful car.

23. mv4

mv4 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    So. Cal
    You will not regret your decision on buying one. Just make sure you get a car with bucket seats, more desirable and easier resale.