The Singer 911: All You Ever Wanted to Know - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS | FerrariChat

The Singer 911: All You Ever Wanted to Know - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by SamuliS, Jan 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    #1 SamuliS, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    dayum I so need one of those.

3. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Thanks for sharing. I'm impressed with the level of detailed workmanship and passion at Singer. Unfortunately, at its price range, I can think of other cars I'd consider. But then, though I've owned numerous 911s, I'm not a die-hard 911-or-nothing fan anymore.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont get it. $500k for a retro modded 964...

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree, they're gorgeous cars but $500k goes so far, even with Porsches. some seriously cool vintage stuff at that price point.

I guess if you already have those cars in the garage and you want a Singer, go for it.

6. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    #6 Prancing 12, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    +1

I was just about to google "singer 911 for sale" as soon as I watched the video. For $500k, it's not worth the time googling, let alone pursuing. No doubt, the details are stunning, but maybe, if nothing else, the Singer highlights some "bargains" in the 911 world...

2.7RS anyone?

993 Turbo S, 964 Turbo S package and a couple fantastic 930 Turbos?

As you said, so many better ways to spend $500k on (a) 911(s)...

7. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    But it seems like the perfect 911. It's the first 911 I've ever really, really wanted to own.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I love it, don't get me wrong, but $500k is just silly.

I'd rather have a 997 RSR for $500k :)

9. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I would get a 2.8 rsr repro and a 993 gt2 for the money. Or a cut and a 964 turbo 3.6.

10. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I recalled someone saying that these are absurdly priced, but I still got surprised by the 500K tag...

As always with overly priced attractive cars, they will have buyers!

11. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Perhaps it doesn't make much of a difference to some of us with limited means, but according to the embedded video, pricing for the car starts in the high $300's, so perhaps it's more accurate to call it a $400K car as opposed to a $500K car (its fully optioned price, I assume)?

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Too bad the valuation is what it is....the cars are just incredible! Wondering what the 'used' market is on one of these $$? Anyone known any to switch hands on the open market?

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  14. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    The cars are beautiful and very well executed. I enjoyed the video and insight into the make up of the cars.

But 300-500K is a bit much for what it is IMO.

Am I wrong in my thinking that for around $150K (if your not paying attention to or care about cost) you could create a 911 that is just as nice, fun and more tailored to your exact wants, needs and desires?

Just saying :)

15. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    No denying they are probably worth that sort of money when you stop and calculate the development and construction on a cost to complete and engineer basis, however way out of my league.

If money were no object, yes, sure. If you had that much money to spend on a car though, there are probably lots of other vehicles that come into the equation before a Singer.

Having said all that, wow, what a car. :)

16. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    I agree about the price point being a bit high... to a point. That said, I think few cars on the market could be said to be made with such passion and enthusiasm. But, I love the 911, maybe even more than Hammond.

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You can buy a good 964 for 20k. So i would think you could make a very nice 911 with $130k.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Late to the party, not surprising, but I just learned about these by following a lead someone gave in the "Done with Ferrari" thread. Wow, what a sweet car. I was a little deflated when I heard the quoted price though. I have added this car to my bucket list....so nice.

19. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Fantastic dedication, terrific quality, and ultimately what you have is a bespoke sports car, comprised of Porsche-inspired parts.

Its worth noting though that Porsche Ag has cars available in the secondary market that are better developed, better handling, and better performing on both road & track, all the while for less money. The 997 GT3 RS 3.8 & 4.0, and the Carrera GT come to mind.

The Singer 911 is all about fueling man's desire for personalization & customization at the highest level. That it uses the 911 as its basis underscores that Singer thinks the 911 is the best sports car created. In a sense, Porsche Ag could say that Imitation is the Sincerest form of Flattery.

When all is said and done, we are all just custodians of these cars, keeping them for future generations. This begs 2 questions for me:

- What will all these 911 Hot Rods be worth when compared to blue-blooded 911 icons that have been preserved unmodified?

- Is the trend towards taking 911s built by Porsche AG and turning them into something else a good thing for the marque and ultimately for future generations?

20. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good questions, I look at hotrods as specific to certain age groups and certainly the tastes change over time. Is the smitten with analog 911 crowd an age specific demographic that has a limited time period of significance? There can't be that many guys that love the looks of older 911's that would or could pay 3 times more than a current GT3RS. I could be wrong but if the market goes soft on these guys they can "kit" out their stuff and get a good long run out of their efforts. If this happens I think the current Singer cars will drop but it's just a gut feeling.

I don't think the marquee will suffer because the price of the Singer cars are so outside of the normal persons reach. Almost anyone could save and work into a nice Porsche over time and that's what holds up the Marquee IMO. It's the attainability of it and enough of them around that they are appreciated and desired for. Maybe I am too far removed from the folks who could drop 1/2M on a car but I don't think they are the ones holding up the marques image.

21. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Adam Carolla's take on the Singer.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM91zICjcNc]Singer 911 Porsche on CarCast's with Adam Carolla and "The Professor" Sandy Ganz - YouTube[/ame]

22. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You are right that Hotrodding has to do with taste which may change over time. What happens to the value of these Hotrods when its suddenly uncool to take one of Ferry's finest and commit unspeakable automotive sins upon them? Once the novelty wears off, and the fickle sector of enthusiats who are looking for something different decides to refine their tastes or go back in time and buy genuine vintage cars with significant provenance, what happens then to these Hotrods?

I have a different, perhaps more extreme view about what could happen if the market goes soft. They might not be able to give that stuff away then. Food for thought. I understand that I come from the "leave well enough alone" school of thinking, but its borne of an extreme respect for Porsche Ag and the R&D they put into their products, and a desire to preserve for future generations rather than feed a desire for personalization.

BTW when I commented on whether Hotrodding Porsches is good for the marque, I didn't mean in terms of its image. Porsche's image has been solidified by Porsche Ag in terms of the cars it builds and what they accomplish on road & track. Nothing can really change that. I mean in terms of what we are handing down to future generations...

23. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think they drop in price...hopefully to my level of pain! I am not sure that there will be this clash against the purists because the shear numbers of these cars that were built allow for both IMO. What do you think of the 356 Outlaw set? I also like these but would rather have a little more performance like these 911 offerings. I don't have the respect for the marque that would stop me from having a Singer as a fun toy. (If I could get at a much lower price point that is). Right or wrong I am of the group that sees old 911's in the VW shadow and so I've already separated from ability to get offended. If I am in the majority, the market for 400K "Outlaw" or "Super-Customized" models is going to be short lived.

I hope you are right!! I can see the market leveling off quite a bit lower just as the modified Harley Davidson Crowd, modified VW crowd...T-bucket crowd, ricer crowd, anything modified crowd tends to thrive out of trying to stretch the dollar and add in some personal flair.

Again I think the numbers of available cars soften the blow of any adverse effects to future generations, for those that might seek this type of car anyway. As far as I can tell they are taking cheap cars and turning them over. How many high schools still have an auto shop class? None I know of. So those future generations are going to be more impacted by other pressures like an unfamiliarity with mechanical objects. Preservation and correctness is giving away to functionality and accessibility for the majority IMO.

24. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns

I understand that the TopGear lap time for a Singer was less than the latest GT3, .... don't know how the Carrera GT compared. It has one key advantage and that is less weight.

As far as trend, Singer's are sold out though 2014. If you want one your looking at least 2015. It can't be a bad thing for Porsche because it is only builds enthusiasm for the brand and the essence of the 911.