959 Prototype | FerrariChat

959 Prototype

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Cobraownr, Jan 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #1 Cobraownr, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What was billed as one of four existing prototypes for the Porsche 959, and one of only two that can move under their own power, sold at the Barrett-Jackson January auction for $440,000 including buyer's premium. The critical question I had on this car was how much of a "959" was it? That is, did it have all of the advanced engineering systems--variable torque split, variable ride height, variable shock stiffness, etc.--that wound up in the 959 production car, or were some things left out or only partially done? The catalog description did not address this question. I contacted Porsche Stuttgart for information but didn't get anywhere. I hope the new owner did their homework.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I saw that car & said "why hasn't someone corrected that rear ride height" ?

It still strikes me as odd even in this photo.

3. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    If the one in the pic is the one that sold at auction, it certainly didn't get the sweet wheels that the production ones did. You then have to question whether or not it has the tire pressure monitoring system and the Denloc tires.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That is odd. Makes it look like it is missing the engine!

5. 930

930 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    2 O'clock in the USA
    Com'on Guys! Cut the poor car some slack, it's a PROTOTYPE. Not supposed to be like the production cars. And, don't forget it's really a 930 in Wolf's clothing. Might even have a 930 VIN.
    BTW, does anyone know the manufacturing number (VIN) it was assigned by Porsche?

6. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    it certainly doesn't sit right - so the question is does it have the engine ?

7. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    +1

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Auction catalog listing for the 959 Prototype copied below. Per the catalog, the car has a 1986 Turbo chassis and VIN, and does not have the special hollow rims or run-flat Bridgestone tires. Porsche Stuttgart said they could not help with any information even after I sent them the VIN and Prototype Code.

Another issue with a "prototype" is the legality of getting it registered for road use. I dug into that a bit and felt it was a gray area that could present some serious liability issues to the owner and insurer if there was a claim resulting from an accident. If this car is bound for static display in a collection, that is not a problem.

<< --------------- >>

Lot Number: 5011 Auction: SCOTTSDALE 2013 Status: AVAILABLE Sale Type: NO RESERVE Price: Year: 1986 Make: PORSCHE Model: 959 Style: PROTOTYPE VIN: WPOZZZ93ZFS010067

Code V1KOM (EX: BB-PW481) testing car. One of two running prototypes and one of only four survivors. The Porsche 959 is one of the greatest sports cars ever to be assembled and touch the black asphalt which covers the roads on which the 959 is an undisputed champion. The 959 is one of if not the greatest Porsche ever assembled and is just as rare as its title as a world class sports car. In October of 1983, Porsche A.G. announced they will produce 200 Street Version 959s and will sell them to the lucky 200 new owners who are on the Porsche's VIP list. For three years Porsche engineers studied and worked on the 959s prototypes and designs. The street version of the 959 debuted at the 1985 Frankfurt Motor Show as a 1986 model, these were pre-production model carrying the Porsche 930 Turbo chassis numbers. In 1985, Helmut Bott, head of the 959 development, had taken 29 of 1986 model 930 Turbo chassis from the Porsche factory to turn them into the 959 pre-production prototypes and these were called Code F, N and V. These 29 prototypes were the latest prototypes and they were used for various final tests, media coverage, crush tests and road tests.

This car is one of the 7 V-series prototypes and it was used as the chassis, ABS development car which was seen at the famous high speed testing facilities like Nardo, Italy and Minerva, France. Sadly most of the 29 prototype 959s were destroyed and scrapped by the Porsche factory after the 959 project had ended, this particular prototype became one of only four surviving and also one of only two running prototypes in existence still wearing its original pre-production Dunlops with its original prototype light weight wheels. All production 959s were delivered with Bridgestone RE71s with production type wheels. With Porsche factory no-longer releasing any prototype automobiles to the public, this is a very rare chance in owning a prototype Porsche. Not only is it a prototype Porsche, it doesn't get any better than owning the 959 prototype.

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Or did it have more than the production car? ;)

Great points and thread. I too am curious to know. I'd also like to know where the other 3 are and are they all different?

best,

10. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    The 959 Prototype I photographed at a recent car show had a VIN of WPO22295ZJS9000XX.
    I've seen others with the 9000XX before. There seems to be some issues with the number of prototypes built. I've seen numbers as high as 18. Anyone know for sure?

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Aren't the 4th, 5th and 6th letters of the VIN supposed to be ZZZ instead of 222?

12. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    IIRC, all of the 959s I have information on do have "ZZZ" in the 4-5-6 locations in the VIN, as does my 1988 #167. The auction listing for the prototype said it had a 1986 930 VIN. I don't know if a 930 VIN should have "ZZZ" or not.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. 930

930 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    2 O'clock in the USA
    #13 930, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    ZZZ are fill-in characters on European and rest of the world cars.
    North American cars use a series of alpha numeric characters in place of ZZZ that identify body, engine, and restraint system types.
    The 7th, 8th and 12th digits identify the car as a 930.

This is a PROTOTYPE alpha numeric sequence not a normal Production Number. Strangely the write-up calls it a 1986 but the 10th alpha numeric is "F" and F=1985 not 1986. The text says 1986 930 chassis were pulled to build these cars. The 0067 number was early in the production sequence so I guess it&#8217;s possible for an &#8217;86 930 being built in 1985 to become an &#8217;85 prototype 959.

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #14 Str8shooter, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Odd that they couldn't correctly spell the name of such a famous driver...

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yeah, Walter is a pretty common name.... :)

Rohrl, I think...

17. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    They got the VIN wrong too...total waste of cardboard.

18. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    I hear all the time how technically advanced this car was, but rarely find description about those technical aspects. A list of all technical advanced features would be very welcome...

19. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I'd say $440k is a steal for a factory prototype.

20. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Times they are a changing