991 Turbo | FerrariChat

991 Turbo

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Noel, May 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#1 Noel, May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It does look amazing, Too bad that other than telling the eps which direction you want to go and excercising your right foot youre not really driving it at all. Really mostly a really fast syntesised mobile computer game. Or a really cool looking GTR

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It is a beautiful car, but I'm with Boxerman. I want to drive the car, not vice versa. Water cooled Porsches offer awesome performance, but I prefer the older air cooled stuff without power steering, hydraulic clutch and electronic nannies.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It dosent have to be aircooled, just tactile and engaging.

But true if youre picking up the kids at school make mine an auto with good ac good stereo and crappy eps. Then at dinner I can brag to friends how fast my car goes on paper, and i am somehow cool and a sportsman because I drive a PORCHE and as futher proff I wear a Rolex Dytona to keep split second laptime.

Give me a break.

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    You know what I like about a stiff clutch and no power steering? The girlfriend at the time said she could drive the car and dared me. I gave her the keys and told her try the clutch. It was too hard to push in. I started the car and told her to turn the wheel. That was the end of her asking to drive the car. lol

The 991 is a technological marvel, but it also makes the car too easy to drive. I looked at a nice 997 turbo a couple months ago and just couldn't get excited about it. It was fast, handle well and was comfy, but I felt something was missing. That is just me.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is a shame but most of the people who can afford these cars (or most other high priced sports cars) are older and they want to talk on their cell phones and drink their coffee while they drive. Of course they also need heated and cooled seat as well. When these type of cars start to have a much luxury a S Class it is time at least for me to stop caring about them. The raw power butt stiffening cars like the Z06 and Viper are for the real thrill seekers these days. I know this paddle dual clutch crap is the future but I am not a future guy after all I still think music ended with the last Grateful Dead show.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so I guess all you guys who think these cars are too easy to drive could all drive them at 10/10ths on a track with no problems?

:rolleyes:

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    11/10ths thank you very much. What kind of pansy only drives 10/10ths?? :D

Mark

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the ones who are good at math :p

:D

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think you miss the point. we want cars that are fun to drive at 5/6/7/8/9/10ths
    And a car that is only fun at 10/10ths is pretty worthless. So yes another car may have lower limits and be harder to get to 10/10ths, but we drive for pleasure and fun. Plus I bet you someone who knows what they are doing in a old GT3 is going to be faster than pretty much anybody other than a pro in the new turbo.

Its not just how fast you go, but how you go fast. As your post aptly points out, other than a pro no one is going that ultimatly fast, so why have a car that is BORING to drive and takes no skill to drive at some speed.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Imo the tt is the 991 model to have where as the gt3 was the best 997. New gt3 seems like it lost its way a bit despite the awesome 9k redline. New turbo just looks so special. And the tech it has is fantastic ie an inflatable front splitter?! If only they can get it to sound half as good as it looks....

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You could say the same about all mainstream modern cars, Ferraris included, unfortunately.
    Pete

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's why when I do get my Ferrari, I want either a 348 or a 355. Not as much performance as the new cars, but the driving experience is more raw and visceral.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you miss my point...if the only way to have fun in a car is with a manual gearbox and no traction/stability control you might as well quit driving now...you're in for a disappointing future :(

there are lots of ways to have fun with cars, I think there's this car guy machismo thing going on that says only something with a manual and no power steering or whatever is fun and everything else is crap, and you're just selling yourself short on the full range of automotive experiences with that mentality.

now go drive a Mercedes SL with the top down on a gorgeous late spring day and have fun, dammit! :D

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    You can have fun in an auto and stability/traction control, but for me, it is more fun without it. In the late 90s, I used to run the HPDEs and had a euro 635csi for a track car. Students would come in E46 M3s and rip around on the course. Sometimes, I would offer them my car to try and well, it was a vastly different experience without traction control and ABS. Even returning students would wonder how I could control that car. Later on I brought out an E30 M3 and a Mini Cooper S and they were a blast. Nowdays, I have a W211 E55 for my sh*ts and giggles, but I've said it before and I'm an old soul and prefer the older sports cars.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes I like the SL merc, and if porche and all the others want to be Sl mercs fine, in fact if its that type of cruising fun, then my tastes go to the dodge challenger, pretty much all you want in a bruiser cruiser. But I am looking for soemthing different too, as are many others.

Its not just the mnaual box, its the whole anodyne experience. I want a sporting drive. hey a Lotus Evora has PS the last GT3 had PS they were great, they dont have to be crappy like eps. I want a tactile interactive live machine. Something that feels itself an extension of my body, you know the man machine interface. A mobile video game consol no matter how objectively fast does not do that.

Yes the moderns are fun because of the sheer speed at 10/10ths, How often even on the track are you at that perfect 10 10ths. And truth is in amodern yoiu are not at 10/10ths the car is, and that is the issue.

It does not have to be that way. ABS traction control dont have to be intrusive. Steering can be power and tactile, its just not in the 991. And yes a cluch and stick, its another form of interaction, you know that well oiled piece of maciheary feeling that you get from a good gun too. Yes it might be slower, but the difference is marginal for anyone other than a pro, and the loss of enjoyment immense.

The Mclaren F1 set a template to follow. Now because the poseur street market is bigger porche rightly serves that market, but why deny a product fort he more hard core enthusiast and then serve up a whole lot of crap that all the tech is better. Tech that enhances the experience maybe makes it safer is better, tech that makes it more bland is not.

Still I agre with someone here. the new Turbo looks to be the one to have, after all what does the new GT3 offer, 9k rpm, the rest is the same.

17. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Water cooled Porsche turbos are the most boring cars at 100k and above price point. GT3 or aircooled that is where it is ...not these vaccum cleaners.
    non Linear acceleration
    not High rev
    Muffled Turbo sound
    Feels heavy
    AWD slows steering response etc

All of the above makes it a great DD , not a fun weekend car.

18. ferrari930

ferrari930 Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Boring?? There ******** amazing, how can anyone call ANY 911 Turbo boring? They dont feel heavy at all. You should drive one and then you will realise that being AWD is the perfect setup for that car, 2WD would make these things a death trap even though thats what they are as AWD aswell. I dont think BORING was your right choice of words mate, dont get wrong the GT3 is absolutely amazing and I love the air cooled 911's aswell but none of them even stand a chance against the late model 911 Turbos, they are worth every cent, your getting alot of motor car

19. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    the "vaccum cleaner "will suck your 430 up it's exhaust !!!

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Specced the car yesterday,same color combo as in Moscow presentation (White/Red interior/Black dash/Alcantara wheel)
    Ordered all leather options (except the one replacing CF trim) and the MSRP went to $203k.
    Pricey for a 911 but I figure a perfect daily driver for me to replace my CLS63 Renntech.
    I planned originally to get FF but could never really get excited by it,just can't get over the rear end and at roughly 12-15k miles a year Porsche will be less of a damage in resale value.
    FF would be much more of a headache every time parking or even driving in Chicago let's say in mid January.
    Launch model,should arrive end of November.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice! congrats.

911tt is the perfect all season daily driver sports car.

22. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Congratulations.

Absolutely the best practical super car.

23. sinking

sinking Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Austin, TX
    This isn't how electric power steering works. The steering wheel is still connected to the rack via the column. The same force applied to the steering wheel is what is turning the wheels on the road. The difference is instead of hydraulic assistance coming from a pump and lines attached to the rack you have a motor applying varying amounts of assistance to the column.

[​IMG]

24. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    mark:
    congratulations with your new order.
    i would suggest considering a special order red leather, rather than the standard red.
    the standard is a bit on the burgundy side.
    the special order leather that i am referring to is more lip-stick red in color.

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Thanks.
    I'm sort of limited on my options,since it is a "Launch "production.
    My deadline for changes is May 31st and I'm not able to order special colors or leather beside standard options.